No announcement yet.

Let's bag an E30 Touring then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of a bagged Touring . . but I hope the car get's some other improvements as well . . the M30 conversion looks very poorly done (is that temporary wiring? . . ) . . . . and the wheels? . . I hope you have another set . . .
    my Bimmers . . . -> HERE!! <-
    my unhealthy amount of Wheels!! . . . -> HERE!! <-

Comment

Originally posted by MrZog View Post
      I like the idea of a bagged Touring . . but I hope the car get's some other improvements as well . . the M30 conversion looks very poorly done (is that temporary wiring? . . ) . . . . and the wheels? . . I hope you have another set . . .
      You can probably see by the thread that it's an ongoing project and not finished yet
      The wiring will be tidied up when I've finished connecting the air suspension electrics
      The M30 conversion is properly and safely done. It performs well and has been inspected and tested by professionals.

And I have in my mind what wheels I want to put on when I have saved enough cash.

I DO like your collection of classic BMWs and lovely wheels. Will you be fitting the wheels to the cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E30 UNT View Post
        I DO like your collection of classic BMWs and lovely wheels. Will you be fitting the wheels to the cars?

No just collect them.
        Instagram @wickedweiss

Fix your sig pic size cunt. <3 Ox.

Comment

A couple of months further on and a quick update. This thread has gone very quiet, and I'd kinda lost enthusiasm for posting anything after Mr.Zogs comments.

The car, now with M30 535 engine and 5 speed box has been legally on the road - having passed the relevant inspections - and is being used as my daily driver. Everything is sweet apart from the clutch was super heavy and nearly exploding my left hip joint. This turned out to be because I'd used an E30 master cylinder coupled to an E34 535 slave. I now have an E30 slave to match the E30 master and life's a lot better. Not as light as I'd like, but much better.

I've bought some plumbing parts from the states because American NPT kit is hard to get hold of here in the UK. And I've got myself a screw in Schraeder valve and adapter so I can inflate my air bags off the car and check for leaks.

I've made up a steel tube so that I can attach the bottom of my BMW strut to the air strut, and am currently taking many measurements from the first strut that I've built up this way in my garage. I also need to work at my wheel arrangement to gain extra clearance. So spacers or new wheels are needed.

Comment

Keep us updated man, Zog doesn't speak for the masses

Comment

^ indeed

Comment

updates?
                E36 Bonnie

Comment

I've been really busy with other things these last few months, but i have now got some missing pipe fittings from the states - npt stuff is hard to get in the UK.
                  And im under way with modifying the first front strut to attach the air strut to it.
                  Im taking on a New workshop on 5th September so i can get the car inside and swap over the whole suspension to air in the dry.
                  Stay tuned.
                  PS. If anyone in the UK has some nice wheels for sale - preferably Borbet A or banded steels on 4x100 give me a yell.

Comment

Finally the Touring is safely tucked up in the new workshop and today I've popped out the rear coil springs and taken some measurements.
                    What i don't know at the moment is if the car has stock height springs or if its already been lowered - so i need some advice on this. its currently on 16 inch wheels. at its current height the rear spring platforms are 130 mm apart at there closest point. To drop a further 2 inches will have the spring platforms 80mm apart - the rear bags I have are 70mm thick totally compressed. This will make the top of the actual wheel rim sit just up above the top of the arch. That's as low as I can realistically go without serious fabrication work to the car.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if this is stock ride height or already been lowered?
                      Its on 16 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres.

Comment

And a couple of pictures of my other toy. Totally built by me from scratch running Kawasaki ZZR1100 engine...

[/IMG][/IMG]

For anyone who may be doubting my capabilities
                        Last edited by Mike E30 UNT; 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E30 UNT View Post

Can anyone tell me if this is stock ride height or already been lowered?
                          Its on 16 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres.
                          Lowered

Comment

Thanks Rubens. I found some pictures on the net of stock height E30s and it looks like my car is already lowered about 2 inches or 50mm - and Im looking to go down the same amount again.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but if you're bagging it don't you want it to go to the ground? Sort of defeats the purpose of bags if you're only gonna lower it slightly

Comment

That looks stock height to me, just with old struts and springs.

But why do you care about what stock height is? Make the suspension so it will set the car on the ground when it's aired out. In the rear, cut off the 2 spring centering pins on the car and the trailing arm and mount the bag directly to both.

Comment

Working...
                                X