Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid MotorUnion's Long-Overdue Build Thread: Project X, Start to Finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<3
    I dislike Byron.

Comment

Absolutely Sick build. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

i want moreeeeeeee, i love this.

Comment

YEAAAAAAAAAAAP!!

btw you're such a tease! I have been waiting for this for so long!
          Ryan

Comment

incredible fabrication as always

I've wondered what the x5 in your sig was all about

reminds me of the tango and cash truck, super sinister

subbed

Comment

Chapter IV: Bump, Bump, Bump It Up!

Now we’ve gone straight from the easiest part of the fabrication to the hardest. The front bumper was something we were looking forward to making for a while. We had designed the entire front end on our computers, and the mock-up looked good, so we went about the fun task of constructing this system with nothing but the tools available to us and all the mild steel in the shop.

Using a small bender, we had to triple-check every angle to ensure we were bending correctly. Thankfully, we got everything right on the first try.

We also had to make the mounts from scratch, carefully checking the angles to make sure they’d fit snugly around the main bumper bars.

With the front mounts created, we added the main bars to the front mounts to see how everything was fitting together at that time. Again, our triple-checking paid off, and fitment was spot on.

After a quick test-fit, it was time to begin assembly. Tack welds began forming, followed by full-on TIG welds. At that time, we also finished our radiator cover, which consisted of several rows of dimple-cut steel. That way, it didn’t block airflow to anything vital, and it maintained that aggressive look we were searching for.

Once the welds were completed, we threw ‘er back on the X5 to see how it looked. In a word? Stunning.

Once the front bumper was ready for powdercoating, we set it aside and started on the last of the Big Three – the roof rack!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
              I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Fucking beautiful!

I know it's been done for aaaaaaaages, but seeing it in a build thread makes its a little more fressssh!
                /O O==[][]==O O\
                --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                  Fucking beautiful!

I know it's been done for aaaaaaaages, but seeing it in a build thread makes its a little more fressssh!
                  Thanks man! It's always nice to reminisce.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                  www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Love it

Comment

Just have one question: is that the pre-facelift "facelifted" or just the facelift model?

Either way, AWESOOOOME!

Comment

Amazing X5! wish mine looked like this

@Ricardo Joćo Teixeira, The rear taillights are pre-facelift, so I'm guessing its facelifted

Comment

Always been a huge fan of this X5! Saw it at Mfest in Vegas, and I stopped dead in my tracks!

Your fabrication skills are top notch, as well as your imagination! The front grill guard and under carriage protector are awesome!

A few questions on specs:

Is it a 4.4? or a 4.6?

2WD or AWD? How would this truck realistically perform off road?
                          Check me out on Facebook: Undr8d Empire: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

Check me out on Instagram
                          : @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet #Project333ti by @castromotorsport @kingsautobodyshop @excel_motorsports @bimmerheads @mateomotorsports - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...=1#post1493600

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                            Always been a huge fan of this X5! Saw it at Mfest in Vegas, and I stopped dead in my tracks!

Your fabrication skills are top notch, as well as your imagination! The front grill guard and under carriage protector are awesome!

A few questions on specs:

Is it a 4.4? or a 4.6?

2WD or AWD? How would this truck realistically perform off road?
                            It's actually the 3.0. We didn't have any say in the engine size, as the vehicle just sort-of popped up on our doorstep.

And it's AWD. Realistically, we've taken it off-road for a few things, and while it performs decently, everybody knows BMW's all-wheel drive systems weren't exactly well-renowned or legendary. Case in point:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-NNEK1kGo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-NNEK1kGo[/ame]

A locking diff alone would add a world of usability to the vehicle.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                            www.stanceworks.com

Comment

badass x5 fmu

glad u finally started the build thread
                              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Made a mistake earlier. This X5 obviously does not have the 3.0, it has the 4.4.

Herp derp, guess I need to think before I type.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X