Overheating for weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating for weeks

Heyy guys, i bought a 2000 323i a little over a month ago and it always seemed like it was running hot but the gauge always went right to 12 o'clock....i have a coolant leak which looks like it is coming from under thermostat housing but it has been leaking for about 3 weeks and i refilled it about a week ago. As i was driving today the thermostat went to from 12 to the red in about 5 seconds so i let it sit for a little while and then i turned the key to the second position and the needle went off the red back to 12. i drove to my friends house 2 blocks away to let it cool, i popped the hood and i could hear boiling from the expansion tank. So ime guessing that this car has a faulty thermostat and has actually been overheating for the past couple of weeks, but it always goes right to 12 like a normal e46 should????I am going to pick up a thermostat and housing within the next couple of days...But my baby will just have to sit in the driveway for now.....Help!!

1990 325is- current project
    1986 325e- Parts Donator
    2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
    1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

The E46's have notorious cooling system problems, I'd do the thermostat first, But alot of people will recommend you do the expansion tank as a precautionary.

Comment

expansion tank
      -Jorge-

Comment

don't forget to properly bleed the system...

you can get weird overheats if you have nasty nasty air trapped in there.

Comment

Working...
        X