Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW e23 build

1983 733i

Straight body, no dents, but it has faded paint over the whole car. First generation 7 series is forgotten by many and you either love or h.a.t.e the car aesthetics wise. Some say its because its ugly, but I've always been a fan of big bodied BMWs.

The interior is very clean. No tears or signs of severe wear.

It needs to be cleaned up from the ground up. Typical 3.2, but since its an original Cali car, no rust. I'm not sure if i want to keep the stock color at the moment, but lots of work needs to be done first before I even start thinking about that.

The first thing I wanted to do was to get this car to squat down low. I decided to bag the car. Although I went with an Airlift setup all around, I accounted for an additional option for those looking to bag similar setups.

For the front you have two options. A UAS aerosport bag or an Airlift Lifestyles universal bag. Starting with the aerosport:

I used Koni g60 corrado inserts. You can see the difference in length.

The stock gland nuts hold the Koni well, but the outside diameter needs to be machined down in order for the aerosport bag to slip over.

machined....

Cut off the stock spring mount from the strut assembly and tack weld on the aerosport bag mount onto the strut. Since the spindle on these cars is attached to the strut, it is easy to design off the car. Mount the wheel on to the hub to see how low you can bring the bracket before it interferes with the tire. The collapsed bag length is 4" , so take that into account when deciding on the bag mount position so that it does not sit below the gland nut. If it does, you need to shorten the housings.

When you are set with that, mount the insert into the strut housing. If you dont plan on shortening the housings, you will need to install a spacer inside the housing to raise up the insert as it is much shorter. You can get an idea of the length of the shaft at full collapse and fully lifted. There is enough travel between both extremes.

Using a 1/8" or 1/4" steel plate, cut it and drill out the stud pattern for the top mount. A thrust bearing will be used to allow the assembly to twist just as the stock strut mounts do.

Done.

Second option for the front is the Airlift Lifestyles Universal Bellow bag.

Same procedure as the aerosport bags applies when choosing the mounting height but this time you will need to cut the strut housings. After measuring how close the bag needed to be before interfering with the tire, I cut the housing leaving a small amount left on the spindle to act as a base for the bottom of the Airlift bag to rest on. This would also allow you get a general idea of the angle needed to clear the tire. Tack weld and adjust appropriately in order to achieve that angle. If you need more negative camber, that can be achieved with the strut mounts.

Airlift supplies you with a top plate. Drill out the stud pattern and mount.

The rear assembly for these cars couldn't be easier.

Using Airlift Universal Lifestyle sleeve bags, cut the eye mount off an old rear strut assembly. Again, Airlift supplies you with the top plate to act as the strut mount. Trim to the appropriate side and drill out stud pattern.

I needed to make a small notch in the body to clear the tie rods because they would hit when fully air'ed out. Oil pan, front cross-member and control arms lay out flat.

Lots more to come, but here are a few cell phone pics to give you an idea of the progress so far on stock 14" wheels.....

Last edited by NegativeCamber; 10-30-2011, 02:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

lovin it! I hope its future is on low offset 16's with some stretch, will look pimpin!

Comment

Damn! I am so stoked on this. So good, man. I want to bag my car now.
      That's so baller.
      IG: ossiep

Comment

Wow, great work man. I can't wait to see where this goes with wheels etc!
        1993 BMW 325i Cabrio Mauritius Blau
        2015 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
        flickr

Comment

good coverage so far

@eraunpetrytoday

Comment

hells yess

Comment

Loving it!
              Interior seems to be excellent condition. Waiting to see what kind of wheels you'll be fitting.
              H*te less.
              Love more.
              Drive harder.

Comment

what the... now that's low

any wheel plans?

flickr

Comment

Very cool doing the same thing to my e30 vert

Comment

bagging big cars is the way to go. cant wait to see this on some nice wheels.

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

You should have kept the ACs for this!

looks great man looking forward to see what you are gonna do with it.
                      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

omg, awesome! I've choosen 8,5 and 10x17 for my 745, what kind of rims do you gonna buy?
                        sigpic

Comment

I was just thinking to myself the other day how cool it would be to do a e23 after all the amazing e28's around here. Great generation of bimmers. Hope you lose the bumpers as well.

Comment

amazing 7er! looks super mint

im so subscribed.

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

This has always been on of my favorite cars, and BMW only second to the E31

Comment

Working...
                              X