Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matter what I do, it's still a Cavalier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave_The_BMXER View Post
    Why the hell are they wider?! This is going to bother the shit out of me.

Otherwise carry on.
    No real reason. Kind of like putting Bushwackers on a factory truck. I don't know exactly how much wider they are, I just know they are. They don't line up real great with "USDM" bumpers, either.
    Last edited by HooWybrow; 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM.

Originally posted by Kielan
    Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

Comment

• A rather dis-heartening update, more for me, I think, than anyone else.

The guy backed out on the RHD clip, he's keeping the car. Unhappy.

No idea what to do now, maybe the car is staying left hand drive?

Comment

• Boo. You're in Canaduh, you should be able to score a whole car for ridiculous cheap.
        - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

• RHD is pretty clever but can be a real pain in the ass for hitting the drive through. But the biggest hassles are trying to pass large slow trucks, and making left turns through large urban intersections.
          (I knew a guy that had a Skyline and only kept it for about 6 mos. once he realized how much of a bastard driving on the wrong side of you car can be.)

I would say use that budget for some other project, but you seem to have them all covered..

I hear Cancun is nice the time of year.lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Z.Cockburn View Post
            RHD is pretty clever but can be a real pain in the ass for hitting the drive through. But the biggest hassles are trying to pass large slow trucks, and making left turns through large urban intersections.
            (I knew a guy that had a Skyline and only kept it for about 6 mos. once he realized how much of a bastard driving on the wrong side of you car can be.)

I would say use that budget for some other project, but you seem to have them all covered..

I hear Cancun is nice the time of year.lol.
            The car is too low for drive-thru's. I get tired of people asking what that awful noise was on the speaker.

The car mainly gets driven on 4-lane major, well-kept roads. passing isn't usually an issue thanks to 16lbs of boost.

Intersections.... yolo.

I just wanted to do something stupid....er.

Ah, well. Might take a break from the car for a little bit and re-assess my life. I could also just be a Debbie Downer right now and could swing back around tomorrow, we'll see.

Comment

• Just read through the whole topic and.. dude seriously. So many times I thought this shit just can't keep getting better and BOOM, again and again, time after time, you keep suprising me with your plans, quality of work or just sheer insanty of doing this to a cavalier. Keep up the amazing work, can't wait for more updates.

Comment

• Originally posted by HooWybrow View Post

I just wanted to do something stupid....er.
                I do see your point.

Comment

• That son of a bitch.
                  It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jazka_ View Post
                    Just read through the whole topic and.. dude seriously. So many times I thought this shit just can't keep getting better and BOOM, again and again, time after time, you keep suprising me with your plans, quality of work or just sheer insanty of doing this to a cavalier. Keep up the amazing work, can't wait for more updates.
                    Thank you, man. I appreciate the words more than you know!

Originally posted by Z.Cockburn View Post
                    I do see your point.
                    Thought you might.

Originally posted by MrDanguy View Post
                    That son of a bitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by HooWybrow View Post
                      No real reason.
                      Hmm. Still mildly bothered.

Anyway I know you will carry on.

I like em dropped.

Comment

• I bought stuff today.

Comment

• What is this stuff you speak of?

Comment

• It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

• WELL.

Update time.

Getting fucked around with the RHD clip, I also had a bunch of RHD stuff lined up that I was going to buy for spare parts, dash pieces a spare rack, etc. Well, I went and picked that all up yesterday and will be swapping my car to RHD without the use of the proper firewall.

Initially, I was horrified of this idea, but after fitting the dash to the car tonight and taking a few quick eye-ball measurements, I think this will actually turn out better than having swapped firewalls, for a few simple reasons:

Being as I'm shaving the bay, I will now be fully capable of hiding the brake booster and clutch master under the dash, as the firewall kicks out huge where the pedals are now (soon to be) located.

I started with the car looking like this tonight, noting the factory LHD steering column bracket is in the way of the dash framing and dash itself.

I started by center-punching all the spot-welds and removing both pieces, seen here, completely unscathed. These will be installed on the right side now, in a semi-factory form.

Removed:

Framing temporarily in:

Dash installed:

Here's the bad news, you can see there are quite a few little pieces missing, and the upper dash pad has been stripped of it's vinyl wrapping. All is not lost, though. I've contacted a few different places and some people in search of said parts.

I managed to stumble upon an entire list of "Toyota Cavalier" part numbers today, and ordered a mirror switch, which is, unfortunately, the only piece still available new from GM. Regardless, it's one more piece to the puzzle.

I have a plan already in place for the dash pad, radio bezel and dash that will fix all the previous damages to everything and change the factory interior a lot, while still maintaining the factory look.

Currently our shop is absolutely jam-packed with shit. We take ownership of another shop strictly for storage come the first of the month. I honestly get anxiety being out there now, it is so depressing.

Hopefully, by the move this weekend I will have the car steering from the right side, but that may be pushing it.

Comment

• I'm getting excited.
                                IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Working...
                                X