Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if E28 and E23 struts are the same? I need to produce some coilovers for my E28 here in the UK, and knowing exactly what strut inserts are much shorter, but the right diameter would be a huge bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by papercutout View Post
      Does anyone know if E28 and E23 struts are the same? I need to produce some coilovers for my E28 here in the UK, and knowing exactly what strut inserts are much shorter, but the right diameter would be a huge bonus!
      they arent. e23 inserts are 44mm and the e28 are 36mm. any shorter koni or bilstein insert will work. take a look at their catalogs for the dimensions. you will just need it re-valved for the e28.
      Last edited by NegativeCamber; 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM.
      Originally posted by Kielan
      I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

36mm? Really? Wow, didn't expect them to be that skinny - the OD of the strut leg is 52mm! Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by papercutout View Post
          36mm? Really? Wow, didn't expect them to be that skinny - the OD of the strut leg is 52mm! Thanks though.
          That is what the catalog says. I measured my insert with a caliper and it was 44mm just as stated in catalog, so I'm sure its the same deal with the e28.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Sorry if my questions are a bit nieve very new to this air suspension thing.

What are the benifits of the shorter shocks? are they only needed if you shorten your housing? looks like they are also only needed with the UAS bags not the airlift is that correct?

Looks like the UAS bags are around 400 a pair while the airlift are around 900 a pair. For this reason I'm more inclined to go with the UAS bags. That said I want to be sure I understood correctly. The UAS bags did clear the tires where you welded and mounted them but was not giving the desired drop. To achive that drop you would need to weld them lower and no longer clear your tires with out huge spacers. Is that correct?

Would it be possible to use the UAS bags in the rear? Are there any other options besides the airlift sleeve bags?

Working with a e12 based e24 - 82 633csi BMW

Thank you in advance. All sugestions welcome.

For Sale - e24 Build thread

Add me on Facebook
            Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Comment

Originally posted by evilstar View Post
              Sorry if my questions are a bit nieve very new to this air suspension thing.

What are the benifits of the shorter shocks? are they only needed if you shorten your housing? looks like they are also only needed with the UAS bags not the airlift is that correct?

Looks like the UAS bags are around 400 a pair while the airlift are around 900 a pair. For this reason I'm more inclined to go with the UAS bags. That said I want to be sure I understood correctly. The UAS bags did clear the tires where you welded and mounted them but was not giving the desired drop. To achive that drop you would need to weld them lower and no longer clear your tires with out huge spacers. Is that correct?

Would it be possible to use the UAS bags in the rear? Are there any other options besides the airlift sleeve bags?

the shorter shocks are only needed for the UAS bag. the airlifts are a strut, which is the bag and shock as a unit. the need for the shorter shock is so that there is enough stroke at half compression of the bag. the bag will be located lower than the stock spring and you will run out of travel if you are using stock inserts. also, it helps to have a better valved damper with an airbag. it probably would be cheaper to calculate the needed length/stroke and body diameter for the insert, and then find used konis of those specs so that you can have them re-valved to your application.

Every application will be slightly different in parameters. I cant say that my troubles will translate over onto an e12. You may be able to get lower on the UAS bag than I did. The measurements will tell you even before you start cutting and welding.

As long as its a sleeve bag with dimensions close to the airlift inflated diameter, another brand sleeved air strut will work. The UAS bag and all convoluted bags that i have seen are too large in diameter to fit inside the rear strut mount.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Hello, NegativeCamber!

Very much pleased to see your work! You did something unreal in the truth, maybe this is just my personal opinion, but nevertheless asked him to consider.

Let me ask a few questions on the subject, since at this stage of my life my dream has coincided with yours, if you can call as a part of the air suspension. This is to show that I bought my car http://www.drive2.ru/cars/bmw/5_seri...es_e28/anyuta/

Direct questions, please excuse if my questions seem to you ridiculous and absurd, but our market parts are not so rich, so everything is brought only under the order, this is so thorough and connected questions:

1. What kind of rack you purchase KONI, if you can until the part number (model)?;
                2. What is the diameter of an air bags (front, rear), maybe even a model and item number of air bags?;
                3. Do not quite understand why you made a hole in the rack and fasten the screws;
                4. How many dropped (went) to the machine (if you can count), or how much is left to complete understatement (fall to the ground) and you need to do?;
                5. If the machine is fully dripped (laid down), then you have something to do with glasses (front, rear), a motor, etc. (Where the thrust bearing is mounted, if you can tell me in detail about all the additional changes and upgrades + photo)?;
                6. Bought wheels BBS RC 8Jx17H2 IS20 (front) and BBS RC 9Jx17H2 IS22 (rear) http://www.drive2.ru/cars/bmw/5_seri...6394579353916/
                , there will need spacers and \ or will I have to roll the arches?;
                7. The old base rack you cut off grinder for difference (length) of the new rack KONI, may be correct in detail, or to ask for a specific size (with great hope that you have a drawing or something)

I'm sorry if the questions tedious and take up your time, but am waiting with great impatience and hope your answer is, that we may know \ learn this air culture.

Sincerely, Samat Zhumadildin.

p.s.
                My email address: samatastana@mail.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Anyuta View Post
                  Hello, NegativeCamber!

Very much pleased to see your work! You did something unreal in the truth, maybe this is just my personal opinion, but nevertheless asked him to consider.

Let me ask a few questions on the subject, since at this stage of my life my dream has coincided with yours, if you can call as a part of the air suspension. This is to show that I bought my car http://www.drive2.ru/cars/bmw/5_seri...es_e28/anyuta/

Direct questions, please excuse if my questions seem to you ridiculous and absurd, but our market parts are not so rich, so everything is brought only under the order, this is so thorough and connected questions:

1. What kind of rack you purchase KONI, if you can until the part number (model)?;
                  2. What is the diameter of an air bags (front, rear), maybe even a model and item number of air bags?;
                  3. Do not quite understand why you made a hole in the rack and fasten the screws;
                  4. How many dropped (went) to the machine (if you can count), or how much is left to complete understatement (fall to the ground) and you need to do?;
                  5. If the machine is fully dripped (laid down), then you have something to do with glasses (front, rear), a motor, etc. (Where the thrust bearing is mounted, if you can tell me in detail about all the additional changes and upgrades + photo)?;
                  6. Bought wheels BBS RC 8Jx17H2 IS20 (front) and BBS RC 9Jx17H2 IS22 (rear) http://www.drive2.ru/cars/bmw/5_seri...6394579353916/
                  , there will need spacers and or will I have to roll the arches?;
                  7. The old base rack you cut off grinder for difference (length) of the new rack KONI, may be correct in detail, or to ask for a specific size (with great hope that you have a drawing or something)

I'm sorry if the questions tedious and take up your time, but am waiting with great impatience and hope your answer is, that we may know learn this air culture.

Sincerely, Samat Zhumadildin.

p.s.
                  My email address: samatastana@mail.ru

1. koni 1198 strut inserts were used for the UAS airbags

2. UAS AeroSport Air bag part# 02-ST-SB-14
                  Airlift front Strut Bags with all dimensions for your customization

3. i'm not sure what you mean by "rack", but if you are referring to the airlift struts, they have an adjustment for the shock damping. that's why there is a knob.

4. you measure the length of the strut with the weight of the car on them, then measure the distance of the lowest part of the car to the ground. subtract that number from the length of the strut (with the car's weight on them). that is the length that the air strut needs to be fully air'ed out.

5. the thrust bearing is shown in the pics for the UAS bag. the airlift kit uses plastic thrust bearings that fit in between the strut mount plate.

6. im not too well versed with e28 offsets but the offsets do not look that aggressive. a slight roll in the rear will probably be necessary depending on tire size.

7. the Koni strut insert was shorter, so i used a piece of pipe as a spacer to raise it up inside the strut housing. you will need to do this or shorten the housing, but take into consideration the location of the airbag. if you shorten the housing, you will lower the airbag seating location and it could interfere with the wheel.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Can I use these Koni g60 inserts and chop my lowering springs to match? My objective is to be 1.5" to 2" lower than H&Rs but still have some shock travel left.

Comment

Originally posted by D Unit View Post
                      Can I use these Koni g60 inserts and chop my lowering springs to match? My objective is to be 1.5" to 2" lower than H&Rs but still have some shock travel left.
                      you can, but you need to take into consideration how long the spring will be with the car's weight on it. then use that length and reference it from the spring perch. you can see in this pic that the bag sits right about where the spring perch was. there is enough stroke without bottoming out the shock. a spacer was used to raise the insert up. i drove around a bit on this setup and the dampers did the job, but i would look into having them valved accordingly for the weight of this car with springs.

try to find some used ones...then you can get them re-valved to a more aggressive valving for the shorter spring and whatever rate you will be running. if i were you, i would just cut the spring perch off, and weld on a threaded sleeve so that you can use 60mm or 2.5" springs up front. more choices for spring rates, lengths, and most importantly, you can dial in the exact height you are looking for.

Last edited by NegativeCamber; 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I just wanted to publicly say a BIG THANK YOU to NegativeCamber for posting all this information and answering all my questions and everyone else's. What a class act!

Comment

I should not have looked at this thread. Makes me want to do my E28, but I want to do AccuAir E Level, so I'm looking at $3K+ Rather do my V8 swap first.

I want more LOWS..

Last edited by 325racer; 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

all i am going to say is that you better call me when the feature shoot is on!
                            IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                              I just wanted to publicly say a BIG THANK YOU to NegativeCamber for posting all this information and answering all my questions and everyone else's. What a class act!
                              thanks man. no problem.

Originally posted by 325racer View Post
                              I should not have looked at this thread. Makes me want to do my E28, but I want to do AccuAir E Level, so I'm looking at $3K+ Rather do my V8 swap first.

I want more LOWS..

[IMG]http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/325racer/Sidecropped.jpg[/]
                              thats going to be nice build for sure. we will have to talk part numbers for those rear struts. the application length wont be the same as the e23, if you are planning on trying to lay out the rear.

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
                              all i am going to say is that you better call me when the feature shoot is on!
                              lol. thanks man but the car wont be done any time soon. plus, i don't do what i do for exposure. just helping out others who share the same interests and giving them insight of my findings.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Had the chance to pick up my V8 swap with trans, wiring etc for $2500, but had to pass as I really need to spend the money on a bathroom rebuild.

ERRRRR, the burdens of home ownership.

Comment

Working...
                                X