and lets see some pics

Comment

Originally posted by Rali@BagRiders View Post
        More!
        working on it!

Originally posted by pfcrayb View Post
        do the koni g60 inserts fit the e28?
        and lets see some pics
        the g60 body is 44mm in diameter. if e28s use inserts that are the same size or a bit less, then you can use them.
        Originally posted by Kielan
        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

This idea would also work on the E30 as its also MacPherson struts, but the rear setup is different. I have a pair of complete, brand new air front struts and am looking here at how to attach the bottom assembly of the OEM BMW strut to the bottom of my air strut.Thanks for the photo of that in your thread.
          What I need to know now is how did you calc what you wanted your final ride heights to be?
          I figure the normal air pressure in the bags for normal driving would be similar to the poundage of a normal OEM BMW front spring - give or take - say 180lbs. Then I need to inflate my bag to this poundage on the garage floor so I can compare the strut length to the OEM BMW strut and work out my desired height. Mine's a daily driver so I need to be practical. 4 inches of clearance under the car was always considered MINIMUM clearance on lowered cars for practical daily drivers.
          I've been lowering cars since the seventies but this is the first time with air.
          Loving your car though, can I see a picture with the suspension pumped up to maximum?

Comment

NegativeCamber,

Do you own a shop I could take my car to for us local Bay Area peeps? How much did you spend on parts? How much would you charge for install? Please send me a PM if you don't want to post a price.

D

Comment

I dont own a shop or have any affiliation with any that could do the install, so I am not sure of a good place to go in the bay. A driveway is where I do all my work. Sorry, I am not doing any sidework for anyone at the moment. Contact Rali @ bagriders to get a quote on the universal air suspension struts. I got these a while back before there was a small price increase in the airlift products.
              Honestly, you can do this yourself by measuring your desired maximum drop and working backwards to measure the needed stroke length of the strut. Measure for clearance, then prefab the brackets and bring them to any competent welder, if you cant weld.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                car looks great man. were you able to lay out with your design?
                Sorry for responding so late. My control arms are bottoming out on the pavement when I air out, so yes.
                IG:uvebeenrobd
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

so how much did everything cost including the tank, compressors, bags, etc, basically everything??

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E30 UNT View Post
                    This idea would also work on the E30 as its also MacPherson struts, but the rear setup is different. I have a pair of complete, brand new air front struts and am looking here at how to attach the bottom assembly of the OEM BMW strut to the bottom of my air strut.Thanks for the photo of that in your thread.
                    What I need to know now is how did you calc what you wanted your final ride heights to be?
                    I figure the normal air pressure in the bags for normal driving would be similar to the poundage of a normal OEM BMW front spring - give or take - say 180lbs. Then I need to inflate my bag to this poundage on the garage floor so I can compare the strut length to the OEM BMW strut and work out my desired height. Mine's a daily driver so I need to be practical. 4 inches of clearance under the car was always considered MINIMUM clearance on lowered cars for practical daily drivers.
                    I've been lowering cars since the seventies but this is the first time with air.
                    Loving your car though, can I see a picture with the suspension pumped up to maximum?
                    sorry, i missed this. my final ride height would be whatever came about from the length needed to lay the front out. the strut bags have a good amount of stroke, so i wasn't worried too much about where the ride height would be.
                    granted, this method is not for "proper" air suspension installs, as they suggest to leave clearance under the car when fully aired out...but we know there is no fun in that.

the issue with inflating the bags off the car is that they will not be the same length as they would be with the weight of the car on them. 30psi off the car will probably have them fully extended, while 30psi with the weight of the car may have them half compressed. the manufacturer of your bags should tell you what the length of the bag should be at ride height...more or less the mid stroke range.

in your case, you will want to measure the length of the strut assembly (coil spring) with the weight of the car on them. if you design your strut bag to be that length at midstroke, thats how high the car will sit, at whatever pressure it takes to get there. subtract the length of the strut bag fully collapsed and thats how much lower the car will be when aired out.

hope that makes sense and helps you get started...

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by righteousrags88 View Post
                      so how much did everything cost including the tank, compressors, bags, etc, basically everything??
                      a bit over 1100 for the Airlift strut bags, and i went with the autopilot V1 air management kit from BagRiders. i dont remember the exact price but right now the V2 is 1150.

if you dont want to spend that much on management, you can get the manual kit. so to bag the car with everything you need is around 1700 with the manual kit. a good set of coilovers is near that, so its not far off.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Very cool build!

Lower than you......http://www.airliftperformance.com/

Comment

This thread makes everything look really easy. Great work! Do you have any idea if the suspension on these BMWs are the same as a W126?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                            a bit over 1100 for the Airlift strut bags, and i went with the autopilot V1 air management kit from BagRiders. i dont remember the exact price but right now the V2 is 1150.

if you dont want to spend that much on management, you can get the manual kit. so to bag the car with everything you need is around 1700 with the manual kit. a good set of coilovers is near that, so its not far off.
                            Yup I went the manual route.
                            Should be on the ground soon
                            <3
                            I dislike Byron.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                              This thread makes everything look really easy. Great work! Do you have any idea if the suspension on these BMWs are the same as a W126?

Its not the same!

Read this thread, and youll see that the front suspension on w126 is gay, but doable
                              teamdb

Comment

wow you make it look so easy, thinking about doing this to my 323 e21. just need to work out the basics and go from there. thanks for all this info.

Comment

Working...
                                X