Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEL SLO (technically DEL NO GO) never driven it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDOGG View Post
    WOW
    I now want to build a Del Sol. i see the potential in these things.

SUBBED
    The force is STRONG with this one!

Originally posted by Chuckdee View Post
    great build so far, I can't wait to see this thing start up and rollin down the road!
    Thank you. Your not the only one! I have friends that have seen this car and others sitting in my driveway forever and have been bugging me about finishing SOMETHING. EVERY DAY I fight myself from buying another car "that I like" and remind myself that the money I spend on something else I could spend on getting my Del Sol on the road.

Originally posted by Clark View Post
    I may be getting a '93 Del Sol soon, what are some common problems I should look for?
    I would say the typical Honda stuff: fender rust, burning oil, 3rd gear grind. Del Sol's are prone to leak from the targa top. But like all Honda's if you keep up on the oil changes and don't let it overheat, they run forever!

SO....... I met up with a guy last week and bought the ECU conversion harness so that I can plug my ECU to the chassis harness. So, in theory, when I plug it all up under the dash everything inside (to run the car) will be done. Well, at least for STAGE1- which is to get it running and work out any bugs.

As I mention before, I was highly disappointed last week that my air compressor/impact wrench didn't have the balls to remove the crank pulley bolt.

I went to my next door neighbor and borrowed his BIGGER compressor and used the same gun. STILL DIDN'T BUDGE! I didn't think it would, but I wanted to make sure it was the impact wrench and not just that I didn't have enough CFM's.

So today, I go out and buy this:

Attach the quick connect stud:

Connected it to my borrowed compressor...

...and in 2 seconds made the crank pulley bolt MY BITCH!!!

I then went on a MAD MAN FRENZY and loosened every crank pulley bolt on every engine that I have in my garage! It took all of them off in less than 4 seconds!

My older impact gun had around 300 ft/lbs of torque.
    My new "PROBLEM SOLVER" has 725 ft/lbs of torque!!!

Do you see what I did there?

Now that the crank pulley is off the engine I am going to put in the Del Sol I was able to remove the lower timing belt cover. The previous owner of the motor said that he had the water pump, timing belt and tensioner changed fairly recently. And he wasn't lying. I can clearly see that the water pump is newer as well as the tensioner and the belt compared to everything else.

So I will not be rebuilding the motor before I put it in the Del Sol. I know that it runs and does not overheat as I ran it before I pulled it. And I have now confirmed and feel confident about the timing belt and water pump. I'll leave it all in there until I decide to build the motor.

I also realized that I might be able to reuse the stock mounts. One of them is completely shot though. So, tomorrow I will buy one from autozone and if I get a chance try to drop the motor in to see if the mounts will line up.

I also realized that I do not have the proper shift linkage. I have about 4 different sets in the garage. But none that will work without modifying them. So, if I can find the exact differences I might get one set modified. If not, I will order them direct from Honda if no one local has any.

I also have to buy a 2 more coolant hoses and decide if I will go ahead and install the manual rack before I install the motor. AND I may just pull the motor on the purple Del Sol to see what I can salvage and use off of that car.

So tomorrow SOMETHING is going to happen. I just don't know WHAT yet!
    DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
    E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Lol never seen someone buy so many cars for such small parts haha.

Surprisingly interesting build thread.

I like em dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_The_BMXER View Post
        Lol never seen someone buy so many cars for such small parts haha.

Surprisingly interesting build thread.

I look at a lot of things differently than most (my friends anyway). If I'm willing to buy parts for a few hundred dollars. Why not buy a whole car for a couple hundred more. Take off the parts I was going to pay someone else for ANYWAY! And then sell parts off of it that I don't want or need and at least break even.

BTW: I don't like to break even!!!
        DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
        E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

i love this thread so much
          4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

It's raining here. So, I don't have much of an update. I went to the store and picked up a rear engine mount as the one I had was completely shot. I should now be able to run all stock mounts for the moment.

Here it is since it's all I really could do:

I also just finished placing an order with Honda for the correct shift linkage that I need and some other little parts that I could remember. I probably forgot something. I was planning on dropping in the motor tomorrow. But some of the parts that I ordered will be so much easier to install with the motor out. So, I'm just going to have to wait on that package to arrive. So, hopefully I will have this thing mobile next week.

In the mean time, weather permitting, I will go the junkyard and pick up a rear lower control arm. I tried getting the right arm off of the purple Del Sol but the bushing has seized on the bolt. So it is now spinning inside the rubber and destroying it. I can't even stop the bushing from spinning with vice grips, heat.... nothing. THAT SUCKS!

So the white Del Sol will look retarded for a while with one red aftermarket control arm and the other one stock. Oh, and I can't use the one that is already on the white Del Sol because someone broke the head off of the bolt that goes through the bottom on the strut. Grrrr!!!!

Nothing can ever be easy can it?

I also took the exhaust off of the purple Del Sol while I had it in the air fighting with the control arm bolt. Since I'm now waiting on a package I might just go ahead and pull the motor off out of the purple Del Sol. I have someone that is interested in the radiator core support. And I will be using the radiator and some hoses, wires and plugs to replace ones on the white Del Sol that are missing or MELTED.

If I'm bored enough I might strip the purple Del Sol completely to mainly get rid of the shell and sell the remaining parts real cheap to get rid of them and clear up some space.
            DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
            E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

I replaced the cut brake line today and while doing so found out that the tie rod ends are loose (nuts no tightened) and they do not have cotter pins in them. SO, I will be changing the power steering rack to a manual rack that I have laying around. That just made my work that much easier since I don't have to fight to get them loose.

I will try to replace the rack tomorrow. Other than the rack, there was only one other thing that I wanted to do before putting the engine in. And that is hose related. Which I can do with the motor in, it's just going to be harder to reach. So I may just drop the motor in tomorrow if I have time.
              Last edited by los02; 11-18-2011, 04:49 PM.
              DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
              E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Your car looks like it's crying tears of rust. But good luck with the build
                MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
                Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Originally posted by OSSHWA View Post
                  Your car looks like it's crying tears of rust. But good luck with the build
                  Thank you. I saw your car at the get together in VA by Buffalo Wild Wings a couple of weeks ago. Very nice!
                  DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                  E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Just received an e-mail from the Honda Dealer....

Order Completed!!!

Now I wait.........

......................... some more
                    DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                    E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

keep it up

Comment

i like how you buy a car just for headlight haha, |
                        Good luck with the build ill be watching this!

Comment

damn, i should havent junked my del sol n i only got 150 bucks for that shell, smfh! even its SI! but madd rusts almost everywhere n the landlord of garage was complaining so i had to leave n sold everything...man...it makes me wanna go back to honda game but now i got vw game, lol...

Comment

Got my package. Pics later!

It's such a nice day that I am going to go outside and pull the purple Del Sol out and do a long ass smokey burn out in front of my house with open headers and no exhaust and if I don't blow the motor up or blow my tires pull it back in the garage and yank the motor out! My neighbors are just going to shake their head and say "that boy is a fool" after they say "WTF is THAT" and look out of their window!

YEP! THATS how I feel!

Pics of the aftermath later.

But FIRST.... let me tighten my lug nuts!

You must always check your NUTS first!!!
                            DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                            E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

dude?? how many cars did you use

Comment

Originally posted by SupaSonic View Post
                                keep it up
                                That is the plan. I'm a few weeks behind my original finish goal. But weather and work are pretty much to blame.

Originally posted by EACruise View Post
                                i like how you buy a car just for headlight haha, |
                                Good luck with the build ill be watching this!
                                Thank you. Yes, I tend to do things like that. As a friend of mine said a while back with another car "so you bought wheels and a complete running car happen to come with it is what your saying" YES!

Originally posted by rookiestance View Post
                                damn, i should havent junked my del sol n i only got 150 bucks for that shell, smfh! even its SI! but madd rusts almost everywhere n the landlord of garage was complaining so i had to leave n sold everything...man...it makes me wanna go back to honda game but now i got vw game, lol...
                                I would have bought it from you. Sold some parts off of it and then scrapped it. But thats just me. It also explains why I can't get a brand new car in the garage because I have car parts filling up that bay.

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                                It's such a nice day that I am going to go outside and pull the purple Del Sol out and do a long ass smokey burn out in front of my house with open headers and no exhaust and if I don't blow the motor up or blow my tires pull it back in the garage and yank the motor out!
                                Well, I didn't get the motor out today. I forgot that I had the right rear suspension apart on the purple Del Sol because I was trying to get the very last bolt out. And nothing that I tried the other day worked. So I was going to bolt everything back up so that I could turn the car around to be able to get the engine out. But before I did, I had an idea to try to stop the bushing from spinning just long enough to "break" the bolt loose.

So after about a minute I was able to do this:

But the damage had already been done to the bushing from my futile previous attempts:

But I'm just throwing this complete suspension on my Del Sol just because it's lower than what the people who stole the white one threw on it. (I think they threw Integra struts on it). I've already figured out that this suspension will not allow me to get as low as I want. So I already have plans and coilovers for suspension version 2.0. I'm currently looking for nice pricing on the struts that I want. So this no name suspension is temporary to get the kinks worked out.

So here is the right rear with the purple Del Sol suspension on it:

And how the car sits now. If your keeping up with the build. You know that I sold the red wheels:

After I was done installing the suspension on the white Del Sol I went back to the purple one and put the white Del Sol's suspension on it. I then started it up and started to do this:

Which ended up looking like this:

And now I smell like burnt rubber!

It was starting to get dark and the temperature dropped so I cleaned everything up and went inside and grabbed this:

Which had this....

...... inside!

It contains the correct Honda OEM linkage that I need for my motor and transmission setup AND some miscellaneous parts that I added in so that I had them and don't have to look for them in the garage.

So, since it's the weekend I don't think that I will get too much done. I much rather make money. But if I get a chance over the weekend I will start disconnecting the wiring, hoses and linkage on the purple Del Sol in preparation of taking the engine and transmission out.

Once I pull the drive-train I will:
                                • take the manual steering rack out and swap it into the white Del Sol
                                • swap miscellaneous engine bay components needed from purple to white
                                • take gauge cluster and parts I want to keep or can sell out/off of purple
                                • sell the purple shell w salvage title or pull more parts off of it and then scrap it
                                • pull white Del Sol in garage and start to install engine bay parts and drivetrain
                                • fill with fluids
                                • start up
                                • DRIVE!!!

Sounds simple enough.... RIGHT???
                                DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                                E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Working...
                                X