No announcement yet.

E36 belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're that concerned with your undercarriage, fab up a skid plate or something.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
      "I'm a mechanical engineer"

Clearly not a very good one.
      yeah sucks i got a 4.0 gpa for my masters and designed and built an SAE baja car. If you want to get into a pissing contest, message me dude.

i merely expressed a concern and was curious if anybody had any experience with a product since we're all "car guys" and I didn't think i was the only one that would cringe at the thought of rusted frame rails.

back to OP yes, if it's "mad low" i agree, no coating will stay on any frame rails. Regardless of that, corrosion is still going to occur (which is my point). my question was in reference to moderately low and utilizing a coating.

Robby

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno730 View Post
        yeah sucks i got a 4.0 gpa for my masters and designed and built an SAE baja car. If you want to get into a pissing contest, message me dude.

i merely expressed a concern and was curious if anybody had any experience with a product since we're all "car guys" and I didn't think i was the only one that would cringe at the thought of rusted frame rails.

back to OP yes, if it's "mad low" i agree, no coating will stay on any frame rails. Regardless of that, corrosion is still going to occur (which is my point). my question was in reference to moderately low and utilizing a coating.

Robby
        yep, POR15 should do the trick.
        Originally posted by Kielan
        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
          yep, POR15 should do the trick.
          thanks, that's all i was looking for haha.

Comment

But if its low enough to need to be recoated, its not going to help. It's just going to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
              But if its low enough to need to be recoated, its not going to help. It's just going to happen again.
              agreed. when i hear moderately low, i think bf.com low
              Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                agreed. when i hear moderately low, i think bf.com low

Comment

damn, i was just looking for pictures of scraped/beat e36 bottoms so i knew if it was as bad as driving an mkv. but now on the topic of rust...

thanks for all the input anyway

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                    IDK my E36 is what i would call moderately low, i would call Mike's E36 moderately low too. Josh's car is very low. IMO it's like lowered (BF.c); Moderately low (Mike's E36); Very low (Josh).

in driving my car i can avoid anything that would potentially scrape the rails EXCEPT getting into my work driveway. granted the car isn't my daily but i was just really concerned about having bare metal. That's all LOL.

Comment

if you are that concerned about rust, build some sort of skid plate that will sit against the frame rails. so only that part will scrape / rust, then replace it when its worn down.
                      there really is no other option, except if you cut them out. but that will leave the fuel / break lines unprotected and would easily be damaged.
                      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by nhojyauq View Post
                        damn, i was just looking for pictures of scraped/beat e36 bottoms so i knew if it was as bad as driving an mkv. but now on the topic of rust...

thanks for all the input anyway
                        Here's mine. One of the frame rail's got a nice dent in it

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

oil pan on my e36

Comment

what did you manage to hit?^

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

you pan sits high enough for the m3 xbrace to be installed right under it.... it came stock on my 95 cabrio, gives me some piece of mind that i would have to replace that instead of an oil pan lol

Comment

It seems to make sense to add a $20 skid plate and keep your frame rails perfect....

Comment

Working...
                                X