Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still can't get the point of using custom camber plates in the front? why?

flickr

Comment

k, another thing I'm confused about. You guys keep mentioning custom camber plates. Am I misinformed, but, I thought there were already camber plates for our cars? To adjust the camber. Or am I thinking of something else?
      Instagram: danimal._
      Mercedes Build Thread
      Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by HWY HNTR View Post
        k, another thing I'm confused about. You guys keep mentioning custom camber plates. Am I misinformed, but, I thought there were already camber plates for our cars? To adjust the camber. Or am I thinking of something else?
        because of the money bro...

oh... and i forgot, last night i was trying to put the front coilovers (JOM) from E36, and i can say that it's impossible to mount the whole coilover setup (strut + springs), because the top hat is too wide, so i removed the springs and used only the shock.
        the other problem was that the knukles can't fit 100% right to the stem of the shocks, and they'll need some work...
        Last edited by projektzwo; 10-21-2011, 01:10 AM.

flickr

Comment

what do you mean the top hat is too wide?

it won't go up into the strut tower at all?

Strictly Pleasure
          Allen
          82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
          92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Weird. Mine didnt have either problem. The first shots in the thread are of the car sitting on a full E36 Raceland coilover up front. No modifications.

I wonder if its a difference with the brands...
            TheFitGarage.

Comment

you guys lol, back and forth, will it work, won't it work, what's the damn answer cause I would love to have the adjust ability of a full coilover for a e36. So, krolik, or iam138 or whoever, please take some pics and post up the model of coilover you're using so I can buy a set. Prwease for Gods sake, lets find an answer to this myth and put it to rest
              Mercedes Build Thread
              Falcon Build Thread

Comment

well, i bought JOM coilovers for e36, but as i said, i can use only the shock absorber, without the springs, because the top holder of the springs (the hat) is wider than the pad of the top oem strut mount. Probably if you change a little bit the hat of the coilovers you'll get it there, but i was too nervous and prefer to use only the shock absorber, as speeds_ did with his JOM setup.
                So, i don't know if the way of mount is different from coupe and limousine, but the JOM coilovers are not plug & play for w124.
                As Iam138 said, the rear shocks are really longer/higher than the oem ones, so - they're useless i sold mine, and now i'm waiting for new rear shocks.

Here it is the car as she sits right now, waiting for new rear sh#t...

@HWY HNTR - if you don't really want an adjustable suspension here you are really good option -> this <- otherwise you gotta run Racelands, or TA-Technix, but remember that rear ones are way too longer and wont work...

flickr

Comment

My car is a w202 so I am not too sure on how different your suspension is. I cut the coils and in the front I used Chevy Beretta Z26 shocks. Lots of travel and a soft ride. they are Monroe Sensa-Trac - Shock Absorber Part#5896 $34.99 at Oreillys
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by Devildog0341; 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Does any one know how different the W201 (w/ SLS) set ups and W124 are?

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
                    you sir, win this battle.
                    “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

Originally posted by Krank View Post
                      Does any one know how different the W201 (w/ SLS) set ups and W124 are?
                      w201 and w124 are all the same, but i'm not sure about the self leveling system...

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
                        w201 and w124 are all the same, but i'm not sure about the self leveling system...
                        It will get removed completely.. But there is very tight space for the rear strut...

Comment

Originally posted by Krank View Post
                          It will get removed completely.. But there is very tight space for the rear strut...
                          probably it's really hard to fit coilovers at the rear, but it's not impossible...

also if you don't want coilover setup i think this is a very good option -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Sportstosda...1#ht_500wt_949

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
                            probably it's really hard to fit coilovers at the rear, but it's not impossible...

also if you don't want coilover setup i think this is a very good option -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Sportstosda...1#ht_500wt_949
                            I think i will order a set and see how it works. I will make sure to take pictures.

Comment

so it sounds like it may be dangerous to be using this kinda setup lol. Especially when you think that it was made for a car that was lighter than ours right? I haven't gone through with it (I'm trying to get my falcon ready for a show in a month) but I'm gonna give these a try for the front: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...product=433802

and these for the rear: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...sub_category=1

not sure which ones yet for the rear, but for the fronts, it says they're shortened for the car to go low, and they're adjustable to go lower. So I think I'll go that route and then maybe use cut 400E springs or H&R's for the higher spring rate. I mean, since you guys are just using the shock part of the e36 coilover right?
                              Mercedes Build Thread
                              Falcon Build Thread

Comment

projekt the car is looking sexy btw
                                Mercedes Build Thread
                                Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X