Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that in some theard @ 190rev.net are available coilovers for w201 that are the same for w124. The price is about...950-1200$ if i remember...

Comment

For fun, here it is bottomed out on the tires up front with the rear sitting about where we want.

Pretty sure there is more room to go down, but the 19's are stopping us.

Ended up pulling the coilover spring and pretty much just going with a cut W124 spring up front with the helper only adjsuted all the way up on the coilover, no binding, rides really well. The W124 spring is cut enough that if we start threading down the coilover, it will lower the car a but more, probably to about the point we had it in the first pic.

Out back, it is a cut W124 spring with the raceland adjuster, and a Saab 900 shock (Monroe part# 5977) It rides great and still has about 3 inches of travel.

Comparison shot of the rear shocks:

You'll notice that the lower mouonting point on the saab piece is wider, we simply trimmed it down so it matched up with the stock mounting location. Super easy.

This is how it sits as of now. Up about a 1/4" from the pic where it was on the tires:

At some point when the weather is decent I'll take some good pics of the car.
      TheFitGarage.

Comment

TheFitGarage.

Comment

Good work and thank you for the details and contribution.

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
          you sir, win this battle.
          “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

thank you and everyone else who contributed to the thread for the write up!
            you guys are true heroes.
            threads like this is the reason why I joined StanceWorks.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Glad to be of help. There is a serious lack of info out there on modifying these cars.

I made up some fender spacers (like the AMG ones) today for the front fenders. Hopefully those will get us enough clearance up front to go down a touch more. I feel like 17's or 18's are really the ticket for a W124 though. The overall diameter on these 215/35/19's is just a lot for the square fender shape.
              TheFitGarage.

Comment

respect for Iam138, really helpful posts...

i've purchase front and rear coilovers for e36, and can't wait to put them on the car, i'll try to fit the rears.

and i'm thinking that the 19's are really big for those fenders but after all if you don't want to lower it as sh*t, you're fine, otherwise i think the 17's are the right size for slamming the w124's...

i'll post everything about my work on the suspension when the coilovers arrived, probably at the end of the next week...

cheers!

flickr

Comment

sweet success.

and has anyone found anything on modifying sort of camber plates to replace those rubber front mounts?

Strictly Pleasure
                  Allen
                  82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
                  92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Originally posted by Krolik View Post
                    sweet success.

and has anyone found anything on modifying sort of camber plates to replace those rubber front mounts?
                    camber plates will be expensive for sure, and i don't think that you really need them, you can easily fit whatever you want, and if you still rubs you can use those front fenders spacers, to achieve more space...

here it is what i have found some time ago, about the REAR (adjustable) camber arms...

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
                    i found information about DIY rear camber arms (adjustable), the price for 2 is around $85 and will work on:

w124, w129, w170, w171, w201, w202, w203, w208, w209, w210

here it is the parts list which you can purchase from: www.speedwaymotors.com

and here it is assembled one:

flickr

Comment

it's not that i'm concerned about the rubbing, what i'm concerned about is the coilover exerting so much pressure on that strut mount that it would rapidly deteriorate and shoot through the hood. the mount only holds up to the flexing and movement of the strut itself, if you add a spring to that system, that's quite a bit more tension on that little rubber mount.

i'd imagine camber plates in themselves would solve that issue there and viola, full on camber control with no worries of it flying through your hood. In addition, you wouldn't worry about the coilover binding as the camber plate is basically a bearing. i see they make some universal plates on ebay, i wonder what it would take to get those to work.

Strictly Pleasure
                      Allen

Comment

I feel like there is really two ways to do the front. You can run the W124 spring and the helper only on the coilover, like we have. Which has very little added stress on the strut mount (which is aluminum coated in rubber, BTW) Or you can use camber plates, a modified E36 mount, or a custom soltion to a more solid strut mount w/ a bearing.

This car was driven for a few days with the W124 upper mount and the full coilover, it rides fine, it handled bumps and everything just like normal. The shocks didn't blow through the hood, nothing failed. You can tell it does stress that mount more than the factory setup, but I'm pretty sure it would be good for quite some time. The thing to remember is that the mount is not entirely rubber, it would be tough for the upper hat of the coilover to actually go through if it DID fail.

That being said, the bind was not comforting at all. That combined with the additional camber gained and the factory caster, made for some serious alignment issues. I'd say that you are really better off using one of the other methods I listed above, just like most people are thinking. I just want to make it clear that those mounts will support the car if need be, which actually makes either of the other options seem much safer.

Projectzwo - Congrats on getting started, make sure you link me to some pics of your install! Thanks alot for the camber arm info as well. I wonder if I could adjust more negative camber with that? Any experience? I think we have somewhere around 3-4 degrees now, but 5 or more would really help to fit more wheel in the rear when/if we get to that point.
                        Last edited by Iam138; 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM.
                        TheFitGarage.

Comment

I'd just love to see some reasonable attempt at camber plates for these cars. If not to eliminate the binding, but the risk of the damn strut/coil shooting into the hood.

I know it'll support the car and the width of the coil hat won't let it go through easily, but I've had experience with my past 300E where the strut mount collapsed and sent the whole center of the mount right up into the hood. Not an experience I'd like to replicate.

Strictly Pleasure
                          Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Iam138 View Post
                            Projectzwo - Congrats on getting started, make sure you link me to some pics of your install! Thanks alot for the camber arm info as well. I wonder if I could adjust more negative camber with that? Any experience? I think we have somewhere around 3-4 degrees now, but 5 or more would really help to fit more wheel in the rear when/if we get to that point.
                            Sure, i'll keep you updated. About the camber arms - didn't actually try this (dont need them for now), but you can add more negative degrees compared to the oem ones...

flickr

Comment

so krolik, you're saying that the coilovers are too skinny and shot up through the mounts on the front? Also, did you have a good experience with them like did it handle better and everything? It seems like since they were made for a lighter car that it might not support the weight of our cars? I would love to get some coilovers for my car. That's why I keep saying to make a build thread for your car lol
                              Instagram: danimal._
                              Mercedes Build Thread
                              Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by HWY HNTR View Post
                                so krolik, you're saying that the coilovers are too skinny and shot up through the mounts on the front? Also, did you have a good experience with them like did it handle better and everything? It seems like since they were made for a lighter car that it might not support the weight of our cars? I would love to get some coilovers for my car. That's why I keep saying to make a build thread for your car lol
                                oh nonono, i was saying i had a normal strut shoot through the mount because the rubber bit up top failed.

i'm pretty sure the coilover would be retained somewhat by the strut perch since its a bit wider. when i get coils for my merc i'm going to be designing camber plates and see if i can get some made. that, or modify some universal ones.

i'll make a build thread................ eventually. lol

Strictly Pleasure
                                Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X