Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
    Do all Saab 900 rear struts fit? Meaning every year 1978-1998 model ones.
    Still unclear for me as well. But I read on multiple sites and forums that they are way too soft.

Apparently the Ranger fronts are stiffer.
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
      Still unclear for me as well. But I read on multiple sites and forums that they are way too soft.

Apparently the Ranger fronts are stiffer.
      ok this bad

I'm going to get new shocks for the rear, but I fear the Ranger fronts might be too short, because I run 17x10's with natural camber in the back. Thought about Ta-Technix ones, they are 40% stiffer and 20mm shorter than original ones.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

• I have 1969 Dodge Charger front shocks in the back of my 300te with 2 coils cut off stock springs. The cheapest AutoZone had to offer. They bolted right up with a lit bit of grinding on the eyelet end of the shock. Still using the SLS control arms with 5-6 washers from Home Depot. Had to kind of hammer the bolt through, but it works. Ghetto, I know.

Even with the increased spring rate of the cut coils, the shocks seem to be more than capable of dealing with it.

Comment

• So what I'm getting from this thread is to use the e36 coils just swap out the rear shocks with ford ranger front struts or Saab rear struts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I just did a C124 with a BWS e36 set up. First off, the e36 stuff works but it doesn't just bolt up.

First thing is that there is no reasonable spring that will go in the stock location up front that will not just bind the spring as soon as the weight of the car is on it. We tried 18k, and it squashed it completely, and instantaneously. I had to mount the spring on the shock, to make it a strut. I used a 16k with our valving for an e36 and it was on the money.

In the rear, we also used a 16k 5" spring with an adjuster at the top and bottom of the spring to create some height. I would have liked to use a 8" or 7" spring in the rear, but the customer couldn't wait for the proper size we anted to use.

All in all, it rides great and goes super low. IMO, these cars are too easy to bag and use cheap koni/bilstein struts to not do it. I fell in love with the C124, but i will be bagging mine when the time comes.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

• A heads up for all W201 and W124 owners especially in Europe, Ta-Technix now offers coilovers for W201 and W124.

Slightly cheaper in eBay.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

• Benz people Need W124 help E36 Coilovers

thanks again guys you are being a lot bigger help to me than you realize. i NEED to get this sorted out because he front end needs to be aligned and i dont want to mess up my truck/wheels/tires, etc.

im going to do what you suggested and find some pics of trucks i like and post them here for you to see.

Comment

• I can't believe this hasn't been sorted by now. If you have the money, contact Ground control for a set of W201 coilovers or buy a set of YSR coils.

If you don't, run saab 9-3 shocks with e36 adjusters and a 6-"8" swift springs with a 65mm ID. As for the front run R129 mounts with Bilstein B8 front shocks. I am figuring out the spring size needed for the front from swift for the budget build.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                  I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

• Anybody any updates?

Comment

• Are these just stock e36 coilovers or aftermarket shorter ones?

Comment

• Hi guys.
                        Bumping up this old thread.
                        First of all great insight, but like everyone else who hasnt tried these options, its confusing.

Onto the questions
                        Recently I bought a 95 w124 e300d

1). Are replacement performance shocks from bilstein/koni offers significant drop? I know not as much as e36 coils or ranger but with a set of lowering spring/coil chopped a three finger gap can be achieved?

2). How is ride quality of e36, ranger combo compared to that of bilstein b8 or koni yellow? I am superturboing the car so it will be pushed hard around corners.
                        Don't want the car to have unsettling ride.

Wheels will be 18*8 all around.

I want the car to be significant low but mind you, it already has repaired oil pan.

Other points:-
                        1). The road here are ok but we have some huge humps/speed breakers etc
                        2). I ordered koni yellow but my dealer said koni does not make it anymore, so it has to be bought from any sitr which already have them, which defeated whole purpose of a good deal.
                        3). I don't want to experiment as the shipping cost to my country and then customs, make price of item twice or more the cost of item originally. So will bite the bullet once(hopefully)
                        4). Yesterday I chopped off 1.5 coil of rear spring and removed bump pad as well but I am yet to put back tires and see the result.

This how it sits(before spring chop)

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mayurhuria View Post
                          Hi guys.
                          First of all great insight, but like everyone else who hasnt tried these options, its confusing.

Onto the questions

1). Are replacement performance shocks from bilstein/koni offers significant drop? I know not as much as e36 coils or ranger but with a set of lowering spring/coil chopped a three finger gap can be achieved?

2). How is ride quality of e36, ranger combo compared to that of bilstein b8 or koni yellow? I am superturboing the car so it will be pushed hard around corners.

I want the car to be significant low but mind you, it already has repaired oil pan.

2). I ordered koni yellow but my dealer said koni does not make it anymore, so it has to be bought from any sitr which already have them, which defeated whole purpose of a good deal.
                          3). I don't want to experiment as the shipping cost to my country and then customs, make price of item twice or more the cost of item originally. So will bite the bullet once(hopefully)
                          4). Yesterday I chopped off 1.5 coil of rear spring and removed bump pad as well but I am yet to put back tires and see the result.

Thanks
                          Guys??

Comment

• Originally posted by mayurhuria View Post
                            Hi guys.

Onto the questions

Thanks

This is the difference in the rear using the ranger front shock

Comment

• Why has no one tried a full BC coilovers setup from an e36? They have a full coilover in the rear as well as the front. Surely this would be the coilover everyone is after? Does away with the need for an in-board spring. As for a camber plate, a camber adjustable top mount plate shouldn't be too hard to fabricate, especially with the copious amounts of them for cheap on ebay to experiment with. Drill 3 new holes at the right pcd, thread them and then locktite some studs in, or get them machined with a spline and press out the original studs then press them into the newly drilled holes. I have a spare pair of e36 fronts and camber plates sat and the missus has a w124. I may give this a go if she will let me! As for rears, hers sits alright off of some TA Technix springs and shocks but the front has tractor stance.
                              I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

• Another point to mention with e36's are that the compacts have a shorter rear shock than the rest of them (saloon/sedan, coupe, cabrio, touring)
                                I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Working...
                                X