No announcement yet.

Coilovers for E24/E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure if the nex stuff will work on an e28. The e34 struts mount to the suspension differently and may be larger in diameter also, which makes a difference because the nex perch threads onto the top of the strut housing..Not weld on like GC. You still must shorten the struts in either case. Also, based on my experience nex is pure shit, I wouldn't buy it again or recommend it.

Comment

E28/E24 cars share many suspension peaces with the E34 lower control arms, strut mounts, etc.. After looking at a few pics of e34 struts I think they mount up the same way e28/e24 struts do so from the looks of it they might be interchangeable, but im not 100% sure. Also, jcbe34 what was your problem with the NEX kit? Im considering it and ive only read good things about them.

Comment

Well i have both an e28 and e34, so can tell you for sure that the struts mount differently on the bottom, you would probably have to use the e28 strut its just a question of whether or not the nex perch will thread onto the top of the 28 housing. I was one of the early people to have the nex on an e34.. I blew one shock and had the other making a lot of noise after less than 10k miles. Also found out that there is no warranty at all on any of the parts.. I suppose its a classic example of getting what you pay for. I spent the money and got GC's on my current car and they are much better in every way. Get GC

Comment

Ok ok if the NEX:s are bs, I'll consider going with rally weld-on-stuff and koni's or bilsteins.
          sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
          Slowtoys CC

Comment

Bump. Need more info.

Looks like with the GC sleeve, you have to run konis?

Flickr

Comment

Im most likely gonna get these, since I cannot find a site to purchase the GAZs from.

Comment

GC kit is nice. i ran 500/700 w/ bilstein sports and didnt have a single problem. i dont know if the e24/8 perches mount just like the e30's do, but no welding is REQUIRED like they say. you can simply cut off the stock perch and the adjuster will sit perfectly on the weld bead from the stock mount. its a good kit for adjustability on a budget. but this all based on e30 knowledge.

Comment

bump want more info ....GC with koni setup will give the lowest drop ?
                  Last edited by mreece91; 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mreece91
                    bump want more info ....GC with koni setup will give the lowest drop ?
                    For the front it really depends on how much you shorten the strut by and how long the springs are. 2 inches out of the strut and 7 inch spring in front should be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                      Thats not even e28 suspension pictured.

Rusty sat on GC coils for most of its life, and then the coils went to the e24 when I got it. If you get the e28 kit like I suggested, but go with certain springs (PM me) your car will sit like this without cutting your housings:

That's all the way up on mine... granted, I'd tell you to get different springs... but point being, the GC kit is exactly what you want and need. You won't ever have to worry about being low enough, or whatever. You wont have to worry about the quality, or if it will ride well, or how long it will last.

Do it once, do it right.

Or cut your H&Rs and sit like rusty:

Comment

Either way Mike, I can't have my car that low. I would like to, but I wouldn't be able to get anywhere around here with it like that. I like where you're going with this though... coils that I don't have to cut the housings with and still lower the car? I can't afford the bolt-in kit ($1549 I think? Ouch.)
                        Last edited by Zack01GC; 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

My point wasn't being that low- I had 4" springs on the car in that pic of the 6. Run normal-people-style with some 7" springs and your lowest setting will be near pictured above, and your highest will be near stock. And you still don't have to cut the housings.

Let me know if you want me to help you piece together the right kit.

Comment

I'd love the help. It's just going to have to wait until this summer when I'm working and can afford the parts.

I just figured it wouldn't hurt to start shopping now so I have an idea of the direction I want to go when I do get some positive cash flow.

Comment

Mike, you have a PM.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Working...
                              X