Cutting this type of spring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting this type of spring...

I'm pretty sure I will never be able to cut this type of spring being they are pigtail on both sides, but has anyone had success in doing so? I'd like to come down at least another 1".

| 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

need to see a pic of the perch where the spring goes

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

I'll get a picture tomorrow when I take the wheels off to change my bearings. The top has a sort of u-shape the spring sits in with a metal plate that looks like " J" that slides under the spring and mounts it to the top of the bucket. The bottom just has a \__/ that sits in the spring with a bolt going through it into the ibeam.
      | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
        need to see a pic of the perch where the spring goes

Comment

I really really really dislike the idea of cutting springs, and heating them... But if you're going to do this... Heat might be a better idea since cutting is probably totally out of the question.

I'd remove that shock before heating it, btw.
          StatusRacing.com
          Configure YOUR Seat Here
          Tel: 1.480.265.8600
          Email: sales@statusracing.com
          Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Not heating them. Theyre brand new stiff springs and I love how they ride. I'll cut out the spring bucket and move it up 2" before I heat them.

My next idea though is cutting the bottom spring mount in half and taking out the rubber spacer. That might net me 1". Not a lot of options here :\ If I get smaller tires to lower it then my fender gap will open.
            Last edited by kaidotech; 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I can't tell from this picture if there is enough metal to work with but you could cut a hole under the bottom spring perch and get it welded back flush. Just an idea.

Comment

This is what I would do:

Get some coilover sleeves that fit well into the springs when they get cut and make sure the collars will safely keep the springs seated (take measurements and shop around). Weld or bolt it to where the stock spring seat is (get creative just make sure it's sturdy) and cut a nice amount of the spring off. This will get you much lower, give you adjustability and would safely keep the spring in place. Just make sure those springs are linear

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

Basically I ordered these 3" springs but my truck only dropped 1.5" because of my old sagging springs. Id need an illustration of some sort to understand the coilover idea as Ive never owned a vehicle with coilovers. I need to come down about 2-3" for me to be happy. I can put blocks and hangers in the rear to lower it more so thats not an issue. Just waiting to finish lowering the front so I know how much to bring the rear down.

I might just go with my original idea of notching my front frame and moving my spring bucket up 2" for more drop. I have a set of Enkei RT6's in 18x9 to go on once Im done with the drop so dont mind the giant tires.

This is where it sits as of today, def needs moar low:

Last edited by kaidotech; 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

*UPDATE Epic win. Truck settled another 1" after driving down a really bad road. Completely bottomed out on the bumpstops that were 3" away. Time to order new bumpstops.

I'm still really interested in your coilover idea though, Ollie. Gonna be looking into that for more low.

Comment

Something like that. You'd attach that somehow to where the spring seat is.

IMO your best bet would be to get new stiffer springs and coilover sleeves so theyll fit properly and some shorter konis or something to match up with the higher spring rates. That is if you want to go really low. If you're bottoming out as it is you won't be able to get much lower being as the spring rates sound soft and you don't have much damper stroke left to go lower.

Comment

The springs I installed are quoted to be 3x stiffer and they do ride stiffer, but I currently only have 3" of suspension travel and I can feel the bumpstops hitting the ibeams on big potholes so its not just on regular bumps. I may be able to get another 1" out of the springs if I cut them and do this customer coilover setup. I do want real low. I want to scrape this truck when I pull into steep driveways and go across speedbumps.

Comment

Originally posted by StatusRacing View Post
                          I really really really dislike the idea of cutting springs, and heating them... But if you're going to do this... Heat might be a better idea since cutting is probably totally out of the question.

I'd remove that shock before heating it, btw.
                          nothing wrong with cutting springs if they're the right type. Either progressive or not progressive, i forget which are safe to cut.
                          Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                          he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
                            The springs I installed are quoted to be 3x stiffer and they do ride stiffer, but I currently only have 3" of suspension travel and I can feel the bumpstops hitting the ibeams on big potholes so its not just on regular bumps. I may be able to get another 1" out of the springs if I cut them and do this customer coilover setup. I do want real low. I want to scrape this truck when I pull into steep driveways and go across speedbumps.
                            Post a pic of the truck on even ground so we can see how much lower you should/can go. Also, how much lower can you go before needing to notch the frame or other clearance issues?

Originally posted by benz88 View Post
                            nothing wrong with cutting springs if they're the right type. Either progressive or not progressive, i forget which are safe to cut.
                            Not progressive. Linear so the spring rate is the same throughout the entire spring but Im pretty sure people do both. I cut a coil and a half off my linear springs on my coilovers and it rides exactly the same

Comment

i cut the coils on my lincoln right in half. LOL still rides stiff as hell.
                              Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                              he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Working...
                              X