Nikon questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon questions

I'm choosing Nikon cause the little knowledge and experience I have with camera's is with them, yet I'm still fresh into DSLR's, I'm not brand commited. If you can give me a reason to buy a Canon over a Nikon, I'm up for the discussion with Q&A.

But right now, I'm looking at the D7000 and D5100. I like the ergonomics of the D5100, the flip out LCD screen for ease of use, the more automated functions to make for a shorter learning curve, obviously is a good thing.

But the D7000 seems to be a camera, if it's not THAT hard of a learning curve, to live with for a longer period of time. 30 focus points, auto lense, etc. Oh, and I read there's a difference between the lense attachments, but I'm not understanding it. Is it simply one is auto and the other is manual? Plus the ergonomics is lacking the list aformentioned for the D5100, but I'm really like the more durable magnesium frame that's more resistant to the weather and environment. Specifically the dust protection while I'm out here in Iraq.

Honestly, ANY input would be helpful. I'm looking to pull the trigger ASAP after a little education on the matter.

Well I might be completely wrong since I dont know about the newer nikons but I'd assume the auto focus means that the camera has a built in autofocus motor. The cheaper bodies often do not have this because many kit lenses have the autofocus motor built into the lens. Having an internal focusing motor gives you more lens options that maintains autofocus. Many prime lenses come to mind that do not have the built in motor for focusing (10.5 2.8, 50mm etc). Long story short, internal focusing motors = more great lens options
    "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

Right on. And from what I'm reading, the D7000 as equipped makes it interchangeable with lenses that date back for some time. Which is perfect for me, cause I could probably use the lenses on the old Nikons my dad has sitting around from the 70's.

So since most are Canon lovers it seems, what's a comparable Canon to the D7000/5100? Pros/cons?

Comment

There's an ongoing competition between Canon vs Nikon when it comes to digital SLR cameras.

What do you experienced photographers think of this review, pretty straight fwd?

I may be biting off more than I can chew with the D7000, maybe even the D5100. But I'd rather ask questions and learn the camera, than be at a dead end with a $900 camera wanting more.

Comment

My friend has a D7K and loves it.. in terms of features here's what I like about it over my old D90 (i've since got a D300)... it has magnesium weather sealed body, handles ISO great, can program for ai-s lenses, good ergonomics. If I were you I'd just start with the D7K, non autofocus bodies are good, and generally smaller, but lack AF with any lens that is NOT AF-S or in other words, the lens must have a built in motor to AF, whereas the D7K has a motor built into the body.

IMO if you want Nikon get the D7K.. or a D90 for a lot less money.

If you want Canon and want crop sensor, 7D.. if you want full frame a 5D Classic can be had for a very good price now-a-days.

Comment

I'd get a D90. Learn how to fully understand how it works before you invest big bucks in a camera you don't know how to use. I promise you, a good camera does not make you a good photographer, rather the opposite.

Also, unless you have shiploads of Nikon gear lying around, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from choosing Canon (or whatever else) instead. I recently bought a Nikon after 5 years of Canon. I had never laid hands on a Nikon before, but it's really just the same shit, different day.

GL

Comment

i just stepped up to a d90 from a d3000 and the diff is night and day. the 5000 is supposed to be superior to the d90 with small differences. major diff is the internal motor for a/f. i didn't go with the d7000 cause i was short 200 bucks and couldn't wait. i suggest the d90 or d7000 only for the internal af motor. some non af motor lenses are cheaper the the lenses with internal af motor's.

Comment

haugli - I don't have boat loads per say, but I do have some lens's from some of my fathers old camera's. Another reason why I chose the D7000, it's compatable with those lens's, the D5100 and below are not. Plus the dust sealed magnesium body also sold me on it above the D5100 for use out here in Iraq. So I ordered the D7000 a few weeks ago, and wife is loving it back home, just not so much the weight, but I'm used to that with the old F4x.

I went ahead and ordered the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 which I've read a lot of good reviews on. Soon as that gets shipped back home, I look fwd to getting all of it shipped to me in Iraq, hopefully take some good pics with it. Then on to Germany for R&R, and probably Monaco putting the camera to good use. Crossing my fingers to make it up to the 'Ring as well!

Comment

from what i understand only the top and back are magnesium

Comment

It wasn't the material of the body, but more the dust seal.

Comment

Originally posted by //CHAMPt View Post
                      Another reason why I chose the D7000, it's compatable with those lens's, the D5100 and below are not.
                      You've sort of confused me.... they're both F-Mount, why would the D5100 not be compatible?

The only difference is you need the lenses to have AF, which is not a big deal at all. Unless you really want those old-ass lenses to AF, which I guess would be cool. My D70 doesn't have an AF motor and I like it just fine with vintage lenses,
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Again, it's just in what I've read, I haven't been able to physically look and compare the 2 here in Iraq. Had to resort strictly reviews.

Yes the mount up I guess, but what I remember from reading is the D5100 wouldn't be compatible with all of the lenses because of no internal AF. Thanks for clearing that up though, as I guess you can use it, it'd just all be manually is what you're saying?

Comment

Originally posted by //CHAMPt View Post
                          Thanks for clearing that up though, as I guess you can use it, it'd just all be manually is what you're saying?
                          That's right.

Good read:

Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

did you make a choice yet?

Comment

Working...
                            X