No announcement yet.

Spring/shock setup to strut conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome man. Looking good so far. Now that I see the issue you're running into it makes more sense. I'm not sure if T3 sells that upper hat separately, but its worth calling them up to ask. At worst, you can se a thick metal sleeve over the shaft to space down a top perch that typically is included with cheaper coil sleeves.

Are you using Afco's sleeves or are you going a different route?
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Supposed to get the ebay sleeves tuesday for mock up. I am hoping in the long run Afco will have a threaded shock, cause I dont want to ruin a good pair of Bilesteins that could be used again later on. The hope is whith all the measurements I will be able to get the right shock with a threaded body to match the springs and I should be able to get it all from one place. I have seen afco with a dramatically tapered upper perch like that before but I do not know for sure if they have it still or not. Who knows well see how it goes!
      Originally posted by JC.
      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Good ideas. Can't wait to see how it turns out man!
        - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Me either, my biggest fear is that the shock mounting position will fail.. but that will only happen after some actual driving on the actual parts..
          Originally posted by JC.
          'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

It shouldn't fail, its designed to support the weight of the car if the strut bottoms-out on its internal bump-stop. Worst case something bends, and you can reinforce it before it breaks.

Comment

my set is bilstech and eilbach. they ride sickkkkkkkkkkkk

NYC - CNP CREW

Comment

I can haz mockup?!

Last edited by soab; 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM.
                Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
                  I can haz mockup?!

is that an afco spring?

Comment

Not sure.. Its alot stiffer than I expected it to be..
                    little picture whoring for ya

Time for top hats!!
                    Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Looking great soab.

Comment

Haha old picture of my old parts car with no suspension for inspiration!

Top hats got ordered today!!!
                        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

The issue I am afraid of is I dont know if there is a short enough shock for what im goin for, with my bilsteins ima have like 3-4" rod on flly slammed, but about 1" travel since the top hats are bout 2.8"s long..
                          Originally posted by JC.

Comment

then shorten the rod enough to were you dont need a bump stop and the shock wont bottom out an you can slam it even more.

Comment

I dont understand what you mean by shorten the rod? And I am doing sommething VERY similar to what the AE86 guys do.. but its lookin more and more like If I really wanna go low then raising the spring tower an inch or 2 would be a better solution than coilovers.. but well see!
                              Originally posted by JC.

Comment

So after a long wait top hats are finally in and they are oh so sexy!! Looking at this setup Im bout 90% sure this wont even lower the car and I almost 100% sure it wont slam it. If the shock mounts can hold the stress it will be a great option for saabers to have adjustable 1 piece suspension, but I just dont feasibly see going low on this car without serious modification.. so I guess its time to hit up my budy with a welder! Deff gonna atleast try and mount these up and drive on em when I get a throw out bearing and put the clutch back in though!

Enough talk

mmmmmmmm

Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Working...
                                X