Spring/shock setup to strut conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yessir, you've got it right.
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

For the split collar would I want a 2" ID collar for a 2" shock or would I want like a 1 and 15/16" ID collar for a 2" shock?
      Originally posted by JC.
      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The 2" seems right. I'd measure the shock you're putting it on to be sure it's not more than 2" in diameter. If the supplier were marketing the collar "for 2-inch applications" then the actual sizing may be different for an interference fit.

So I had the chance to take a look at the suspension on a 900 at a junkyard yesterday - I see exactly what's going on now. The stock spring is pretty beefy, I didn't have any tools for measurement or comparison but it looks like a 7" spring would fit well with little effort. The bumpstop is the biggest hurdle, you'll definitely have to trim it quite a bit, if not completely remove it.

I still think you'd be able to get a 2.5" ID spring around the strut without hitting the upper control arm.
        - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Originally posted by Daviticus View Post
          The 2" seems right. I'd measure the shock you're putting it on to be sure it's not more than 2" in diameter. If the supplier were marketing the collar "for 2-inch applications" then the actual sizing may be different for an interference fit.

So I had the chance to take a look at the suspension on a 900 at a junkyard yesterday - I see exactly what's going on now. The stock spring is pretty beefy, I didn't have any tools for measurement or comparison but it looks like a 7" spring would fit well with little effort. The bumpstop is the biggest hurdle, you'll definitely have to trim it quite a bit, if not completely remove it.

I still think you'd be able to get a 2.5" ID spring around the strut without hitting the upper control arm.
          Yup thats the plan, the stock spring is like 10in compressed and like 14in uncompressed.. its a bitch to get out. 8 and 3/4" spring will be low, 7 inch spring would be slammed on its balls.

Ive got a 2" split collar on the way and trying to track down a set of threaded collars/springs to mock up. The spring should clear but I have to turn one of the uca bolts the other way. The only issue I see running into is the upper perch. I dont know how much space I have up there yet or what I could do in the way of spacers.
          Originally posted by JC.
          'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

And to be a whore cause I am super extra excited! Took her for her first drive since diving into this damn engine swap like 8 or 9 months ago!!

Also talked to Afco today and they are super down with helpin me out and have been the most helpful so far so this should be happening this summer! Got a LOT of maintnence and repairs ahead still but who says I cant do some upgrades while im at it :P
            Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Dude, nice swap. I bet the wiring was a nightmare ...

Afco is great for custom stuff. Prices are pretty good too.

Comment

yeah I couldn't get the original or turbo wiring harness's to work.. so I ended up putting a full T5 harness in from a 1996 9k and I'd never done wiring before so it took FOREVER.. but hell now that my buddie has a bdm cable we can do live tunes and I now have one system controlling spark fuel and turbo instead a different system for each so im stoked!!!
                Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
                  yeah I couldn't get the original or turbo wiring harness's to work.. so I ended up putting a full T5 harness in from a 1996 9k and I'd never done wiring before so it took FOREVER.. but hell now that my buddie has a bdm cable we can do live tunes and I now have one system controlling spark fuel and turbo instead a different system for each so im stoked!!!
                  not to be a downer but you need a Canusb for live tuning!

Also I am interested in this coil-over conversion as well. for this

and this

Would save me a lot of headaches down the road. any info on discussions with afco?
                  Last edited by jonnytruant; 03-23-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnytruant View Post
                    not to be a downer but you need a Canusb for live tuning!

Also I am interested in this coil-over conversion as well. for this

and this

Would save me a lot of headaches down the road. any info on discussions with afco?
                    Oh lord I forgot bout those wheels haha, what are the wheels on the vert? And I've heard a bunch of different stuff bout what I need for t5 but Ima prob end up with acanbus cable sooner or later, but I know I can atleast flash my ecu load new maps and do basic stuff with the bdm cable.

Im going to take some measurements today and look at the top mount which I am worried about and see if we can even fit them, then I am going to take some pictures and measurements and send them to afco so we can discuss some different ideas. I am going to have a set pro around summer made for me and if all goes well I am going to stir intrest and see if I could get a group buy, but I am trying to keep it hush hush because I know the saab community and I would rather have done all the leg work and run them before I go telling people "Im making COILOVERS!!! want in??????"

So well see how it goes. The upper mount being too close to the inner fender is what I am really worried about though.
                    Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
                      Oh lord I forgot bout those wheels haha, what are the wheels on the vert? And I've heard a bunch of different stuff bout what I need for t5 but Ima prob end up with acanbus cable sooner or later, but I know I can atleast flash my ecu load new maps and do basic stuff with the bdm cable.

Im going to take some measurements today and look at the top mount which I am worried about and see if we can even fit them, then I am going to take some pictures and measurements and send them to afco so we can discuss some different ideas. I am going to have a set pro around summer made for me and if all goes well I am going to stir intrest and see if I could get a group buy, but I am trying to keep it hush hush because I know the saab community and I would rather have done all the leg work and run them before I go telling people "Im making COILOVERS!!! want in??????"

So well see how it goes. The upper mount being too close to the inner fender is what I am really worried about though.

wheels are Riken STX NOS old school goodness. I have a buddy that has put air ride on his spg and was going to have him do mine but I think I would rather have a coilover setup.

I know that it has been done before, Luke at Saabrally told me he could do it but it would cost a couple grand... hopefully afco will be able to do it a bit cheaper.

Comment

Initial mock ups look pretty good. I really hope I can get those ebay sleeves soon. If I know what your talking about those coilovers went into the origional spring location but you also had to build a custom strut tower. These are goin in the shock location.
                        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Good to see things are working out so far for you Saab guys.

Comment

Thanks man! What out there is available for spacing the upper mount? can I get like a inch or 2 long tube or will that not be safe to support the weight of the car?
                            Originally posted by JC.

Comment

The more I look at those AE86 coils the more they just seem exactly like what I need haha I need that upper spring perch and spacer bushings!

This is with a (integra?) spring with an ID about 2.5" on the top and you can see the clerance issues with the fender wall

I believe would only take 1-2" of spacing down the shock shaft to make it clear though.

Here to help understand size.

And sorry for the cell phone pictures. My camera just showed up in the lost and found last word.
                              Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Couple more pictures to make this thread more interesting for people like me :P

Got the clamp! Now waitin on the sleeve/springs for final mockup!

And to answerd your question yes, wiring was a mess..

Still needs some work but I think it came out pretty good
                                Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Working...
                                X