Hydrolock Questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrolock Questions....

I just have some questions regarding hydrolock. I am currently running a Short Ram Intake setup with a semi-direct front air inlet from the grille of the car.

Should I be worried about hydrolock or water passing through the intake? I am not concerned about floods as I don't intend to pass thru any. I am more interested on the effects of prolonged heavy rains while driving along a freeway.

Will this accumulate enough water to enter the intake and cause a hydrolock?

See pics of my setup. Will try to take some closer shots from the front of the air duct to the filter.

Thanks for the help!

Top View of the Short Ram Intake and Heat Shield with Air Duct->

View of Air duct passing thru the grille and angled a bit towards the intake pipe and not directly to the cone filter->

Side photo ->
    OLD LANCERS NEVER DIE....

you are 100% fine.

the only intakes you would have to worry about are the "cold air" intakes. where the filter has been relocated to inside the lower bumpers, in front of the wheels.

but even then, you would have to run through an incredibly deep puddle to absorb anything close to enough water to causing hydrolock.

think of it this way, the tiiiiiny amount of mist that does enter your engine, will cool your intake temperatures. and help your engine run more efficiently and powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by 320icar View Post
      you are 100% fine.

the only intakes you would have to worry about are the "cold air" intakes. where the filter has been relocated to inside the lower bumpers, in front of the wheels.

but even then, you would have to run through an incredibly deep puddle to absorb anything close to enough water to causing hydrolock.

think of it this way, the tiiiiiny amount of mist that does enter your engine, will cool your intake temperatures. and help your engine run more efficiently and powerful.
      Thanks! I was thinking about the same thing on the mist that enters the air duct would actually help on cooling the intake pipe during rains.
      OLD LANCERS NEVER DIE....

Comment

Look up some old school water injection kits...they even used them on WWII spitfires for an extra burst of power. Water was also an old method of carbon blasting where enough water and trans fluid was poured down the carb to stall the engine out,even then no hydrolock, or bent rods....just clean pistons and valves.
        What makes it through your air intake in normal driving could not harm your engine one bit.

Gordo.

Comment

Originally posted by flemcadiddlehopper View Post
          Water was also an old method of carbon blasting where enough water and trans fluid was poured down the carb to stall the engine out,even then no hydrolock, or bent rods....just clean pistons and valves.
          but PLEASE, PLEASE DONT TRY THIS! its stupid and not worth the risk at all.

we dont need a "10lb bag of sand down the intake" audi thread again.

Comment

+1 to the previous info. Only CAI's can really cause hydrolock because they are located so close to the ground that if you go through a puddle and suck up a bunch of water= bye bye engine.

Comment

even if you go through a big puddle with your CAI, just dont floor it. take your foot off it and let it roll through

Comment

cleans as well.

Strictly Pleasure
                Allen
                82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
                92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Buy a can of GM Cleans, it is sprayed directly into the intake.....main ingedient, liquid. and this is warrenty approved.

Gordo.

Comment

Dude, people still use water/meth injection to prevent detonation at high boost levels.

Comment

If you hyrolock your motor it's more likely to be caused by leaves blocking the drain in the well where your brake booster is. especially on e39 chassis BMWs

Comment

if your really worried put a pre filter over it, but your good man.

build thread?

Comment

With a setup like that, the only thing you have to worry about is someone in a big truck with big tires coming by and swamping your car with water. I know when I had my Cherokee, I could make 3-4 ft high waves, and that was just cruisin' @ 45mph. The puddles that would cause it were usually about 6 inches deep, so obviously it doesn't need a ton of water.

I'd throw a pre-filter on there. Very good "insurance"
                          StatusRacing.com
                          Configure YOUR Seat Here
                          Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                          Email: sales@statusracing.com
                          Fan us on Facebook

Comment

+1 for a pre-filter.
                            And if your really paranoid (I've got one on my CAI, but it sits about 2" off the ground...) get one of these;
                            AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event your AEM intake filter becomes submerged in water.

Comment

Working...
                            X