No announcement yet.

E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

per class rules can't make modifications to support true coils.

there is a tender to spring perch/spacer that will keep them happy together.

tenders are designed to be at or near fully compressed if needed.
    Last edited by verlumpt; 07-13-2009, 10:16 AM.

- I know a great AST dealer, ask me about them.

Comment

Originally posted by almostM View Post
      Any pics of where to re-weld the perches? Also how low can you really go in an E30, seems like the oil pan comes into play pretty quickly. Anyone have any pics of ultra low examples? So GC or Ebay spring perches, Konis or ix struts, and 1000-1200lb spring rate out back? What about rates for the front?
      Depending on the engine, you could just about tuck 16's up front- That would be oil pan on the ground though. The rear can go just as low, but you run into exhaust issues with anything over 2" piping.

Comment

I am also interested in slamming an E30 for cheap.... haha

I had two E30's in the past. I may just pick one up end of this year. I think I know which route I'll go already though

Comment

i would get the AST 4100 coilover setuip from elephantmotorsports.com for 2,890.
          if i was gonna do budget, cosmo racing coilover springs are what i run. they go for a cool 210 usd.

Comment

To add some more budget to build options outlined.

more-japan.com sells tanabe coilover springs in 60mm for $19 a pair and 65mm springs for $30 a pair (before shipping). length/rate is limited, but these coupled w/ some cheap ebay conversion kits (if you can find 60mm ones or 2.5" ones (can use 65mm springs then) you'd be set.

I also heard that vorshlag is putting together a conversion kit they are going to offer for E30/36/46 possibly yet this year. There was talk about it on their forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
              Depending on the engine, you could just about tuck 16's up front- That would be oil pan on the ground though. The rear can go just as low, but you run into exhaust issues with anything over 2" piping.
              I was thinking smaller wheels. 2"? Any ways around that?

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
              i would get the AST 4100 coilover setuip from elephantmotorsports.com for 2,890.
              if i was gonna do budget, cosmo racing coilover springs are what i run. they go for a cool 210 usd.
              Isn't the drop on the cosmos only 1.5'' F 2" R drop?

Originally posted by verlumpt View Post
              To add some more budget to build options outlined.

more-japan.com sells tanabe coilover springs in 60mm for $19 a pair and 65mm springs for $30 a pair (before shipping). length/rate is limited, but these coupled w/ some cheap ebay conversion kits (if you can find 60mm ones or 2.5" ones (can use 65mm springs then) you'd be set.

I also heard that vorshlag is putting together a conversion kit they are going to offer for E30/36/46 possibly yet this year. There was talk about it on their forum.
              More info on these ebay conversion kits? Will the tanabe springs work with the GC setup? Also are they lower?

Also what shock/struts are good on the cheap?

Comment

If your going to be cheap, order a GC kit. Its around 400.00 US for springs and adjusters. The springs that come with cosmo's are absolute junk.

To those waiting for pictures of my suspension. I will see if I can get some tomorrow after work, sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy.

Comment

ahahaha ive clocked about 75 miles on my cosmo's(race rates). they are really good(for mow) but i did like the idea of just reusing my cosmo adjusters with a set of their springs. you are really paying for the adjusters. a pair of springs from gc is about 69 dollars so toying with rates is cheaper and easy.
                  its easy to get low on cosmos. you just have to cut up the lower spring perch on the oem strut tubes. but im not doing that. im actually selling my cosmos for dirt cheap, like 100 shipped anywhere because i want something less agressive as far as oversteer goes. is i had a thicker rear sway, my car would be too loose.

i'll guide you through the trimming of the spring perch. the link i posted is actually a cosmo coilover install. im surprised you haven't looked through it yet! it would have answered alot of these questions...
                  Last edited by bataangpinoy; 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

What are the size of the perces? i might take the cosmos if the perch size is right. Scratch that, i will if ithe size is right

Flickr

Comment

the front cosmo perches were trimmed at the top to fit under the bigger gland nut used by the bilstiens. my fs thread is on e30tech.

Comment

what size spring do your cosmos perches take. I'm interested in them.

Comment

ive been offered a good 130 shipped already for the perches and coils.

im not gonna split them up. they take 2.5 inch springs, but if the plastic centering rings were sanded about 1mm, they would take 60mm id springs.

Comment

Billy sports
                            GC conversion
                            GC plates
                            Done

At the risk of sounding like a douche... You've got to pay to play. Suspension is one of the if not THE MOST important components of a vehicle. Why would you cheap out on it?
                            The setup listed above is the most cost effective way to go low on an e30 and maintain shock travel/ride quality.

Don't be a cheap ass, you will only waste time and money/compromise your safety and those around you. As simple as it sounds, if you cant afford it .... DONT DO IT. If you cannot afford to modify your car properly with quality tested parts, save up until you can or just don't do it. Coilovers aren't essential to making your car function so spend your money on maintenance and other odds and ends before you try and half ass a cheap suspension setup because you want to fit in and look cool.

/rant

Comment

If you have to play to play, why on earth would you go stock length Billy route?

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                                but if the plastic centering rings were sanded about 1mm, they would take 60mm id springs.
                                you realize that math doesn't compute (unless you're saying there is slop w/ the current centering rings). 2.5" = 63.5mm

I was curious (when you were selling yours) and emailed cosmos and they say they take 65mm springs. Can you confirm room to actually fit 60mm w/o making new perches?

can you post some pics of the perches & centering rings? That may clear up things even further.

Thanks - Jon
                                Last edited by verlumpt; 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X