Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
    Couple questions.

I didn't realize the rear spring could be swapped because it isn't a true coil over setup. It's the football shaped spring. Does GC have shorter versions?

And I had never heard about using a 325ix strut. I know that GC uses the g60 strut. Are you running a 325ix?

Thanks.
    When you run a coilover you will be running a straight spring in the rear. Atleast I am. I know you can get shorter springs from GC, not sure how short. I'm ordering mine direct from Eibach through a race shop.

I should rephrase and say i'll be using a 325ix strut *insert* I'll be sectioning out roughly 3 inches from the regular e30 strut. Then I will likely need a spacer inside the strut to make up the rest.

Steve

Comment

Interesting. Sounds like I have some more research to do. I don't want to redo my suspension ($$$$) but I would like to gain some strut travel so we'll see.

Comment

I also have another idea I have been toying with, it involves cutting the strut insert and rethreading it.

Comment

So this kit will just come with the two needed for the rear? Basically I'm weighing my options and trying to figure out all the pieces I need.
          Last edited by schroedin; 07-02-2009, 12:10 PM.
          Originally posted by da3bous
          I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
            4 inch springs will be required out back if you want a stiff spring rate. The softer your rate, the longer the spring can be as it will compress more. I'll be opting for something along the lines of 1000-1200lb 4 inch springs out back.
            How do you plan to handle the rear spring un-seating?

going to a 4" on adjustable perch or otherwise is going to cause the rear spring to completely come un-seated under full-droop or even less than full droop regardless of rate.

Just wondering what your plan is.

Thanks - Jon

- I know a great AST dealer, ask me about them.

Comment

coilover install, lots of pics.

Comment

Originally posted by verlumpt View Post
                How do you plan to handle the rear spring un-seating?

going to a 4" on adjustable perch or otherwise is going to cause the rear spring to completely come un-seated under full-droop or even less than full droop regardless of rate.

Just wondering what your plan is.

Thanks - Jon
                Yes your right, if and when you raise the car, you will have to make sure the springs/mounts seat correctly. Since the spring is so short, the trailing are is almost parellel to the ground when lowered, this means that the spring is almost straight and not bowing like it normally does with longer springs.

The spring would never unseat while driving, unless of course your planning on rallying your car and catching alot of air. This could also be fixed with very short shocks that would not allow the trailing arm to drop enough for the spring to unseat.

Comment

I had D2 coils on my e30
                  Chris-

Comment

Another option is a 4" spring mated w/ a tender spring. That would solve the problem all around. I just didn't know if you had other alternate plans.

I'm running a 5" 1000lb/in rear spring on the auto-x car and can't get as low as I'd like w/ AST perches/collars, so am planning to adapt this approach as I do feel there is a chance of un-seating the 4" spring.

Comment

Any pics of where to re-weld the perches? Also how low can you really go in an E30, seems like the oil pan comes into play pretty quickly. Anyone have any pics of ultra low examples? So GC or Ebay spring perches, Konis or ix struts, and 1000-1200lb spring rate out back? What about rates for the front?

Comment

Originally posted by almostM View Post
                        How low can you really go in an E30, seems like the oil pan comes into play pretty quickly.
                        get a skidplate. then you can just drag it.
                        gooby pls

Comment

For real? Is there one available?

Comment

You can make one, it's pretty simple.

Comment

there are some E30 skids fs on e30tech and/or r3vlimited

spring rates are very subjective...

Comment

Originally posted by verlumpt View Post
                                Another option is a 4" spring mated w/ a tender spring. That would solve the problem all around. I just didn't know if you had other alternate plans.

I'm running a 5" 1000lb/in rear spring on the auto-x car and can't get as low as I'd like w/ AST perches/collars, so am planning to adapt this approach as I do feel there is a chance of un-seating the 4" spring.
                                How are you going to keep the tender spring attached to the 4 inch spring? Also that spring would break quickly as it would have to be fully compressed (aka coils touching eachother) if you would like to be lower then you are on your 5 inch spring. If you want to make a really nice setup, go true coilover in the back.

I will get some pictures this weekend of my setup. The oil pan will always be your lowest point, even if you have an IS lip on the front. Right now the only problem I have with scrapping is my exhaust (downpipes right in front of cat) hitting the speedbump at my work.

Comment

Working...
                                X