This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ollie

yea well these are not even common on hondas and im the first to have them on a teg so really that was what i was going after most when buying them. I had rpf1's and didnt get too much money for them so i had no choice for the fitment i desired, or get some real wheels in a lame 16x7 +35 spec that i was not thrilled for. These are by no means rota/xxr status and i feel most agree. they are what i consider mid level wheels replica or not.

i mean cars no a days are getting features with damn widened steelies. if they can get all these features then why would it be so hard for the wheels i got. its almost a double standard to me. also because the bigger the wheel size for rota the better offset and specs you get. you know like every subaru has damn rotas but still get features. see where im going with it... im just showing another look on the situation. not saying they shouldnt get noticed and i should. cause thats not what im even here for. just to build a car i think looks good to me.
    Last edited by J.Wolfe; 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM.
    95 Acura Integra
    Volk Racing

Comment

If they were cheaper, I'd buy em. A lot of em.
      But they aren't. 1 customer lost until I'm about 35.
      Plus, I could find a used set on ebay or where ever on the cheap. Which also doesn't help.

Oh well.

I see it like this:
      It's all competition, and for those who really want the name brand, real thing, will save and get the real deal. Those who don't have the money but want the look of those fine wheels will buy the reps.
      Affordability.
      I'd gladly own a ferrari if I had the money, but I got a POS 84 528e, because it's all the money I had.
      Last edited by runningpanda; 01-05-2011, 01:54 AM.
      Christof Goulart
      FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

northmiler89

also what people dont seem to understand is rota was made and intended for one class of indivitual in the community, and real wheels like bbs were made and designed for another.

they dont touch on each others toes like people feel and preach because rota started for those who CANT afford real wheels. if that is a problem then why are we even living in a world where we are free to choose what we please.

Rota's motto isnt "we copy to steal all the customers that would buy real wheels and have them instead buy ours" its "we are going to build affordable wheels that in fact fit in with the culture of wheel designs that people like and prefer, if your not the richest, we still want to give you the opportunity to have the chance to mod a car and appreciate the look of it." these replica companies are not out to sabotage by any means... they are what we call smart. they are making more money because they are appealing to the middle and low class, which is 2/3rds the population. Good to them if they made the simple move of smart marketing and was successful.
        Last edited by J.Wolfe; 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM.
        95 Acura Integra
        Volk Racing

Comment

Originally posted by J.Wolfe View Post
          northmiler89

also what people dont seem to understand is rota was made and intended for one class of indivitual in the community, and real wheels like bbs were made and designed for another.

they dont touch on each others toes like people feel and preach because rota started for those who CANT afford real wheels. if that is a problem then why are we even living in a world where we are free to choose what we please.

Rota's motto isnt "we copy to steal all the customers that would buy real wheels and have them instead buy ours" its "we are going to build affordable wheels that in fact fit in with the culture of wheel designs that people like and prefer, if your not the richest, we still want to give you the opportunity to have the chance to mod a car and appreciate the look of it." these replica companies are not out to sabotage by any means... they are what we call smart. they are making more money because they are appealing to the middle and low class, which is 2/3rds the population. Good to them if they made the simple move of smart marketing and was successful.
          This topic has been slaughtered to death about 20 times on this forum. If you read some of the other threads, there are very many legitimate points made as to why buying replicas is wrong. Seriously take a read and you might change your mind, or atleast have a different perspective on it. All these points that you said have been discussed and many other points that you wouldn't think of have been brought up.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

^im sure there is as im not a big one to discuss or care for this matter like some. but that's really where it lies... do you honestly care enough? if so then buy the real wheels. if not then go about your business. as i will now cause its something i dont honestly care about. i don't own a brand of wheels so it has no effect on me in life lol. point blank period. some fight this topic like direct money is put into these manufacturers business success. and if they go out of business, the individual will be out of commission as well. maybe its the stocks that is really the reason to getting everyone all riled up
            95 Acura Integra
            Volk Racing

Comment

It's pretty simple , look at how bbs does business ..very 20 years ago ...nowadays companies must cater to a buyers needs..ccw,rotiform, etc have done so well because of how they conduct ther business ...bbs is one hell of a wheel company but I'm sure as previously stated the oem demand had something to do with it ...and as for reps .and what not ..unless you got reall Lms or w.e on right now don't talk sht...most people talk a lot but infact don't even own a set of real wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
                Anyone else see the self contradiction?

Anyway, in for future entertainment.
                I did.

no contradiction...?

they were the wheels i wanted, but did not have the fitment and specs i would have ideally liked... so i got rid of them. doesnt kill the fact they were wheels i wanted. i just realized that even though i possessed them i still had not possessed the look without dishing even more money...

skibum291 why in the world did you quote me and say its people like these guys? did you even read what i said AT ALL? i didnt buy fake wheels. i bought real rs's from a third party seller that bought them, refinished them, and sold them...
                A true wheel whore Buys any wheel and finds a way to refinish them to the size they want, using all neccisary avenues to achieve this, And will not sell off wheels which have had blood sweat and tears poured into them.

That's where the contradiction is.

15s are an no go on my teg, ill never rock 15's again as they are too small for that platform. its just a known fact for acura/honda owners. I already payed all my money for the wheels. to spend another 600 for lips, and then have to pay to get them taken apart/ re assembled is just not practical. Im a college kid. i dont need to be wasting my time and money with one set of wheels like that. yea they would have been "baller" but not for the price and having a size i dont even want in the first place...
                15"s aren't too small for the EG/DC platform. 16"s are the largest any person should use on them.

Originally posted by northmiler89 View Post
                I would highly look here ^ for the real problem behind the demise of BBS

fwd... not ment to be offensive, i just curse a lot, its late and im just trying to get my point across/devils advocate

I HAVE bought brand new "real" wheels before... worst $3800 ever spent.. They do the same thing as the "fake" ones... BBS wheels break too.. There are just as many pics around of bent and trashed BBS. Everyone sees pics of a broken rota here or there... yea because they are driven on constantly. Daily driven all year around, the works... They often see a lot more harsh conditions than the $4000 real wheels you "rock." And even the guys who really "use" their BBS motorsports wheels on the track and shit... well tracks are about the most well groomed roads around, no shit they dont hit a pot hole at laguna seca and break..

You go take your $1000 per wheel BBS and go hit a BIG FUCKING POT HOLE. Then take a $250 per wheel ROTA and hit the same hole. If there is a noticable difference, then I am convinced... But never once have I seen someone say "oh shit I broke the rota that was on my drivers front on a pot hole, but I hit the same bump with the BBS I had on my back wheel and it was perfect"

BBS can suck my balls and so can the guys who run "REAL" wheels. It isnt our fault they dont invest well and dont offer products that main stream consumers can put to use... We dont care how good of wheels you make, if your ass is out of business. Lets see BBS make some decent affordable wheels to compete with ROTA and I will start buying them constantly, but I DRIVE MY CAR..... A LOT and over everything in every condition all year around... I can either buy crazy expensive polished BBS that will get oxidized and beat to hell, because i dont have the time to properly care for them, or I can get some Rotas used for like $500, trash them, refinish them and then sell them off for $200 months later and get another set.

It makes no sense for me to buy real wheels... Now tell me why it makes sense for you to actually buy wheels that expensive, besides custom sizing and offsets.

Cliff notes..

I hit a big hole and crack a rota...cost me $250 tops... I can keep 2 spare rotas around the house in case for $500. I hit the same hole with my BBS and maybe crack it, but definitely at least bend it.. Im looking at $200 to repair it with a week or 2 downtime or $1k to replace it if the hit is THAT bad

Plus, find me a company that makes me "REAL" VMR V710s.... I wouldnt trade the wheels that are on my car for anything else. I really like them. Granted, there is no "real" version of them.. but VMR is a "fake" wheel company.
                Dude, You can put the point accross all you want how if you damage any wheel, you have to pay to fix it, only more if its a genuine wheel. But at the end of the day, People who are in this Game of stance will hold more respect for those who value their wheels, rather then those who seek respect via cheaper avenues.

northmiler89

This isn't true. When you replicate something that is already on the market, you automatically know you are stepping on peoples toes and ARE going to effect other companies.

Thats like a cop saying "I shot the civilian because I THOUGHT he was reaching for a gun while he was pulling out his wallet to pay for his morning coffee." It doesn't make it right.

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                This topic has been slaughtered to death about 20 times on this forum. If you read some of the other threads, there are very many legitimate points made as to why buying replicas is wrong. Seriously take a read and you might change your mind, or atleast have a different perspective on it. All these points that you said have been discussed and many other points that you wouldn't think of have been brought up.
                This. Anyone who really feels the need to argue their point, don't. Every possible avenue has been discussed in other threads many times. We dont beat dead horses here, so dont make me close this thread.
                Originally posted by anth
                Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

this whole conversation is moronic

without bbs world would be a whole different place

okay they are expensive wheels but with an epic design

do a poll on any car forum

who wants a set of bbs
                  who want a fake wheel

think the results will be stunning

and yeah if u don't have the money
                  go jerk off

u don't live in a villa when u can only afford a trailer
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Nothing wrong with having cheap wheels. Thats why I got Enkei RPF1's, next time I'm probly going to buy some used baller rims, then maybe some Brand new ones.
                    But you're kinda dumb if you have reps, fuck you, your Roolex watch, and your Oaakley glasses.
                    Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Us poor people suck, huh?
                      It's great if you can afford to put 3k on wheels, very nice, I for one just can't afford that.
                      Hell, I can't even afford wheels that cost a grand. So fake is my only option if I want something remotely "nice".
                      Don't put the blame on us poor people, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                        u don't live in a villa when u can only afford a trailer
                        What if the trailer looks/feels/acts like a villa for a fraction of the price?

Sorry I had to point out your fallacy. I am by no means supporting fake wheel companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Down View Post
                          Us poor people suck, huh?
                          It's great if you can afford to put 3k on wheels, very nice, I for one just can't afford that.
                          Hell, I can't even afford wheels that cost a grand. So fake is my only option if I want something remotely "nice".
                          Don't put the blame on us poor people, dammit.
                          I bought genuine SSRs for $1200, and genuine Fabulous wheels for $900. That insane set of Rays Victrix? $1600. Sold the SSRs for less, so the next guy got an even better deal.
                          Us poor people don't have to suck.

Comment

Realistically speaking this probably has very very little to do with replica wheels and it'd be great if this didn't become another one of those threads. BBS probably makes 95% of their money manufacturing OEM wheels for various car companies. Their aftermarket, while respected, probably isn't their main money maker. The fact that LM sales might be down a few percentage points due to reps (generous figure) would probably have very little effect on a company that large declaring bankruptcy.

Blaming this on replica wheels is silly IMO. I still don't agree with replica wheels and there is proof that it damages brand identity....but it's nowhere near strong enough to bring down a company of this size. If you want to lay blame on something, point fingers at the economic issues we've been having. It's hurting car companies which in turn hurts the company that manufactures many of the OEM wheel options.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally View Post
                              Realistically speaking this probably has very very little to do with replica wheels and it'd be great if this didn't become another one of those threads. BBS probably makes 95% of their money manufacturing OEM wheels for various car companies. Their aftermarket, while respected, probably isn't their main money maker. The fact that LM sales might be down a few percentage points due to reps (generous figure) would probably have very little effect on a company that large declaring bankruptcy.

Blaming this on replica wheels is silly IMO. I still don't agree with replica wheels and there is proof that it damages brand identity....but it's nowhere near strong enough to bring down a company of this size. If you want to lay blame on something, point fingers at the economic issues we've been having. It's hurting car companies which in turn hurts the company that manufactures many of the OEM wheel options.
                              Which is funny because the exact opposite is happening in car audio. Last year one of the very top quality companies (Eclipse) announced that they will be shutting down. But, their OEM division (Fujitsu-ten) will be staying open.
                              Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Yah, I'm sure the aftermarket industry has taken a big hit. It'd make sense that Eclipse's OEM counterpart was a bit more stable as long as the OEM companies they cater to are able to stay afloat and continue using their stereos as options in their cars.

I could easily be wrong too. It's all speculation as I haven't searched around for articles on the bankruptcy yet.

I just can't imagine that BBS's aftermarket sales figures compare to the money made manufacturing a massive number of OEM wheels.

Comment

Working...
                                X