Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 02 wrx budget build. how cheap and low can a subie go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 02 wrx budget build. how cheap and low can a subie go?

Hey all.
    I've been reading the forum for a while now, this is my first thread.
    anyway, the car and goal. The car is a 2002 wrx in dark grey metallic (06 colour). The goal is to build it as cheaply as possible without compromising TOO much.

The car:
    I picked the car up for $4k. It was originally posted for $8k, and the guy needed it gone. I didnt NEED a car so i low balled him and told him to gimme a call if no one bought it by the time he needed it gone. He gave me a call and I was the proud owner o fmy first subie.
    It has 190kms on it, and needed a ball joint and front endlinks for a safety, and nothing to pass an etest.

The mod story begins:
    So shortly after buying it, I looked into getting some coilovers. I called some subaru friends of mine, and no one had anything. So i started looking at used stuff on NASIOC when one of my buddies with a SLAMMED forrester (more on that later) calle dme back saying he had some tein super streets off an sti that he'd let go cheap. So I ended up picking up "super streets" with the EDFC for $100. Now I get them home and start cleaning them up and BAM. on the bottom of each one it reads "driving master flex". and they're MINTY under the oil spray coating. So after I was done jumping up and down I cleaned them up for spring and put them away.

I also proceeded to find a set of NIB yakima Qtowers, rails, snow board attachments, and bike attachments (i snowboard and race mountain bikes in the summer...not a fashion statement) for $80. $90 clips for xmas later (thanks mom!) and i have roof racks. Only missing the fairing, which I later picked up for free from a friend.

SO thus far I have $4380 into the car. I went to go get the TERRIBLE vibrant can shit angle crap that came on teh car taken care of. I ended up getting a custom 3inch turbo back exhaust built with a vibrant metal cat, magnaflow resonator, and burns muffler all tucked up under the car with a straight pipe out the back with a factory tip on it. Looks stealth and flows and sounds great. big thanks to john at authority motorsports for the mandrel bent hookups, and it only ended up costing me $300 + a little bit of powdercoaitng done by me.

Now I'm currently shopping for wheels. In the name of cheap and stylish I'm looking at wagen wheels WW1's in 18x9.5+30. Cheap legit wheels are proving to be very hard to come by. I want to be at or under a grand for wheels in my hands. And it's proving hard to find that in 5x100 and agressive fitments. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has some, but I like the ww1's and the car wont see any track time. I like them not because they look like lm's but beacause they're a nice style and somewhat agressive. I have zero intention in passing them off as anyhitng but spokey wheels. they arent reps to me, theyre just nice cheap wide-ish wheels.

anyway, I'm currently at work, i'll upload some pictures later!
    cheers, and thanks for reading my novel, any input is welcome!
    glad to have found such a chill forum.
    Last edited by JPE16; 12-29-2010, 05:21 PM.

wow, wish i could find such a deal... i love these cars congrats

heres some inspiration

Comment

thanks for the kind words man! and that thread is so good. I had a look through the church on nasioc to get an idea on fitment.
      anyway summer plans for the car:
      Wheels
      blacked out headlights
      remove slats from bumper
      JNA lip
      STI limited interior
      Install my focal speakers
      and if I can find a deal on the stuff a VF3X setup.
      Last edited by JPE16; 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

those wheels would look good, I think the miro stp1 would be nice as well and have alot of lip being a 10" wide wheel

cant wait to see some pics of this
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I like the miro's alot but a local guy has them on his rwd subie, and I'd never hear the end of it. I agree they look good. but not good enough to deal with shitty people. Don't want to give him an excuse to talk to or about me. lol
          Last edited by JPE16; 12-05-2011, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I ran outside and quickly snapped a couple photos.
            Forgot I had my iso ramped up from a shoot i did the other week. sorry about the graininess

and the coilovers:

Also, my second love (besides the gf...but she is sitting beside me...)

Comment

sounds like a good deal! nice. lots of ideas from that official fitted thread!

Comment

lolz at teh canister
                Originally posted by Kielan
                I flip people off cause its the cool thing to do.

Comment

nice deal...

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOf1817 View Post
                    lolz at teh canister
                    the exhaust sitting beside my snowboard?
                    lol i dunno what was up with that. it was in the trunk of the car when i bought it. so it's sitting in my room now. might be interesting to hit an intruder with or something.

Comment

any more pics of the car? it looks like dirty PSM in the picture, not the 06 color..

finding 5x100 aggressive fitment wheels is super easy.. call up subydude and order some... or if you want "real" wheels, order some...

crank em down!

Comment

^^ i didnt really want to go down the typical rota grid/torque route. No matter what i do it'll have been done, but the grids and torques have been done TO PEICES. There's a gb on my local forum, and I'm trying to get a price on 18x10 svn's in flat black, but apparently that's a hard size to come by.

what does PSM stand for?
                        no, no others. I just ran out quickly and snapped those pics. I MIGHT have one on my phone. lol

Comment

and having said that, i bought torques yesterday. 18x9.5+35. I may run a 7mm spacer, we'll see how they fit first.
                          They're currently white, but I'm open to colour suggestions. I own a powdercoating gun and oven so the possibilities are limitless.

Comment

I'd say mount them and see how the white looks, and if you don't dig it powdercoat them gold/bronze.
                            Stance-less

Comment

those are them. I was thinking polished, but i'll defnitely mount them and see how i like them when they arrive.

Comment

Working...
                              X