Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fully agree with the views of oxer, very few things go wrong if you apply logic and common sense. And this can be applied to the stretching tires, poke wheels , camber and everything in general.
    It is clear that the optimal choice is a specific suspension system. but can not crucify everyone that many reasons can not afford a suitable system.

Comment

We're gonna have to agree to disagree. You come from Honda's where cut springs are the norm, I come from working in a shop where cut springs are not acceptable.

Cut springs further proves to me how much of a decline the fitment scene is, the cars are going to get sloppier and sloppier over the next few months.

You're making the stance scene look really stupid buy saying that "stance cars" are all about aesthetics. I think you're forgetting where stretched tires and proper suspension originated.

Comment

Actually, I come from a fabrication background building chassis and one off suspension set ups, but thats neither here nor there

Cut springs were around a lot longer then the 'stance movement', Hell they've been around for longer then you or I have been on this earth. Nothing will get slopier

Also, Instead of cool the discussion down, you heat it up with your last two lines. I never said ALL stanced cars are for asthetics, But to me that sounds like you are justifying stretched tyres as a performance mod? As much as I love stretch, we both know deep down its not

Dont know where you were going with that one.
        Originally posted by anth
        Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
          Look at the car, now look at the owner.
          All I see is......

HOOD RAT STATUS.

LOL!
          FlickR

"What really goes on in the mind of a n**** that gets down for theirs? Constantly, money over bitches."

Comment

ive seen the car inperson, its haggered and its stupid to do it popusly for looks. but the RatRod kulture is a diff thing.

to each his own.

03 cavalier
            73 Super Beetle
            68 Fairlane-aka FastLane
            "I Got More Watts Then Youve Got Horse Power"

Comment

Originally posted by ScrappinBeretta View Post
              but the RatRod kulture is a diff thing.
              why? its not about low cars too?
              its just because its free?
              ok, I have a $ 2000 coilovers installed and that has not been enough to bring the car lower as I wanted.the solution has been to replace the rear springs by the OEM and cut them and I dare say that the car's performance has improved.
              for some people cut springs may can be stupid but it just another resource if you know how use it.
              obviously I disagree with people who cut cut and cut and keep oem shock absorbers. it did burst and oil disaster to the shock ab of my first car. but we've all been there, I think is part of learning, is the first step to acquiring a truth suspension..

Comment

no i ment as far as the ratty beater look. Rat rodders roll lower then we can could ever hope for outta our cars, trust me im a rat rodder myself and i love the lifestyle of it.

03 cavalier
                73 Super Beetle
                68 Fairlane-aka FastLane

Comment

I see absolutely no problem with cutting springs when done right, like Oxer said, it's all about common sense. My E36 rides just fine.
                  Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
                  Internet high five for you.

Comment

to get the rear of my beretta to tuck tire i had to cut 2 1/2 (yes im serious) coils off to do it . i drove it that way one night and it rode like it was at stock height. i just need to get another set of sturts for the front so i can cut them down

03 cavalier
                    73 Super Beetle
                    68 Fairlane-aka FastLane

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                      Actually, I come from a fabrication background building chassis and one off suspension set ups, but thats neither here nor there

Cut springs were around a lot longer then the 'stance movement', Hell they've been around for longer then you or I have been on this earth. Nothing will get slopier

Also, Instead of cool the discussion down, you heat it up with your last two lines. I never said ALL stanced cars are for asthetics, But to me that sounds like you are justifying stretched tyres as a performance mod? As much as I love stretch, we both know deep down its not

Dont know where you were going with that one.
                      The last line is a different statement that has nothing to do with the poor idea of changing spring rates with a cut off wheel.

Stretching tires serves it's purpose in drifting. So yes, stretched tires are definitely a handling modification when it comes to drifting. You can consider that a performance mod or not but when I buy a car I definitely install sways before I install an intake. If you're a drag car then obviously stretched tires are not going to be your choice, but you saying that stanced cars are aesthetic pleasers only is stupid. You're right though, I'd say 95% of the stance scene IS stretching for aesthetics, rather than handling characteristics.

The VW world that has pretty much popularized the "euro stretch" in North America and everywhere else for that matter is NOT the same as the stretching that came to be in Japan (RWD drift cars) far before Europe ever started doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4DGS View Post
                        The last line is a different statement that has nothing to do with the poor idea of changing spring rates with a cut off wheel.

Stretching tires serves it's purpose in drifting. So yes, stretched tires are definitely a handling modification when it comes to drifting. You can consider that a performance mod or not but when I buy a car I definitely install sways before I install an intake. If you're a drag car then obviously stretched tires are not going to be your choice, but you saying that stanced cars are aesthetic pleasers only is stupid. You're right though, I'd say 95% of the stance scene IS stretching for aesthetics, rather than handling characteristics.

The VW world that has pretty much popularized the "euro stretch" in North America and everywhere else for that matter is NOT the same as the stretching that came to be in Japan (RWD drift cars) far before Europe ever started doing it.

Put it this way, Any 'normal car person' that Ive ever taken for a ride in my car has always said "How can you put up with all the scrubbing/noises!!" and the only reply is when you get out of the car and look at it, it just looks right.....

All stance is is aesthetics.

Stance is the overall look of the car. Is that not aesthetic?

Im done with getting off the subject since you still can not see any other opinions but your own If you would like to discuss further about every single aspect of automotive modifications feel free to PM me, but do so with an open mind as Im not interested in talking to brickwalls.

And stretching started before drifting in japan
                        Originally posted by anth
                        Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by 4DGS View Post

Cut springs further proves to me how much of a decline the fitment scene is, the cars are going to get sloppier and sloppier over the next few months.
                          I have to agree with this. Between this thread and the other one about whether to cut springs or get coilovers, I'm just in disbelief that so many people think it's okay to just start hacking away at springs (Oxer and some others in this thread obviously have experience and have a good idea of the way to go about it, but I'm willing to bet the majority have NO idea and would fuck it up in all kinds of ways).

Personally, I would drive a stock height car ALL DAY over something with hacked up springs and save until I could get coilovers

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                          Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Aesthetic stretching did...

Like I said, me RWD nissans and nothing but, you (seems to be, but I'm no doctor) FWD Hondas and a tonne of them.

I'm not ****** on your cars, I love hondas as well, but they are just different breeds and that's why our opinions are so different. You DO stretch for aesthetics, I don't. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't ever stereotype the stretch tire scene into "everyone who stretches, is just in it for looks"

I wouldn't even start to doubt that your car looks wicked as fawk (I actually know it does) but your passengers say "How can you put up with all the scrubbing/noises!!" while mine say "how the fuck does this car ride this nice and still be this low?"

But yea, back to topic, we'll pick up in another thread I'm sure lol

Comment

It's better than heating them
                              Need to rent a fender roller in Socal? PM me.

Comment

Pro: Get really low for almost no cost
                                Cons: They will never be even no matter how much you measure, you could end up with an uneven spring rate at each corner. One bump and your car could bounce like a pol-go stick!

When I was in high school I cut the spring on my Mitsubishi Eclipse for obvious reasons but I ended up going to the junk yard and getting some oem springs in less than a week. This was mainly due to the horrific donky cart ride, in fact I think the car would bounce at a complete stop..
                                I have a RWD now and I could never imagine cutting the springs, you really shouldn't mess with safety. Just wait IMO

*everyone has their own opinions about it but its your ride and you get to decide what you want to do*
                                Last edited by I*ROLL*ON*THE*phlOOR; 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X