This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DragginWagon View Post
    ive cut literally 4 full coils off my front springs, been ridin that for over 7k miles with zero issues.
    Again. IT depends on the Factory springs if thier progressive or non.
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

I'm going to be doing some spring cutting here in the next week

Comment

I cut the Eibach springs on my car. It got to the point where I wanted low but wasn't able to spend 1K on coilovers at the moment. They are progressive springs but I didn't give a fuck. Its been about 12000 miles and I haven't had any problems.

Oh yeah, don't forget to cut your bumpstops in half too, that makes a difference.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
          Id rather cut a stock spring then roll $50 ebay sleves... but thats just me haha...
          This.
          Christof Goulart
          FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

I've cut stock springs when I was young, but I wouldn't do it again. You might learn that the springs will act differently left to right or front to back. Most times even if you measure they won't come out all the same and can make for some weird handling issues if you like taking twistes fast. Still better than a guy I knew that heated the springs on his car with a torch to lower it.
            The other Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
              Id rather cut a stock spring then roll $50 ebay sleves... but thats just me haha...
              i wouldnt. lol.
              Originally posted by Jesus Christ
              he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

I've always ***** cut springs. They seem to bounce, be uneven, and handle goofy.

I'd rather rock some ebay sleeves, but that's just my preference.

Although I will say that far too many times I have heard 'Oh, this is just to get me buy until I buy ________, and it should only go for a few months" Then people just become content with shit mods, and never do this. But I'm sure you'll probably end up with a decent setup. Just leave it alone til then./
                Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Nothing wrong with cutting springs, at the end of the day its your car, so if it makes you happy and ties you over til your bags arrive do it

Comment

Cut springs;
                    Pros: You look like an idiot
                    Cons: Your car rides like shit and is unsafe

Waste of time, just wait for real suspension.

Comment

PRO: Get low for super dope cheap, look like a boss, and if you do it right it doesnt ride that shittastic
                      CONS: Convicted, typically refering to people that are currently in some sort of incarceration.

It is the quickest way to do shit wrong, but when perfected is almost an art... I as well as alot of people here have rocked cut springs... I have had cut springs on probably 20 of the 25 cars I have owned at some point in my owning them, never had a problem.
                      Last edited by LuckyBoyOne3; 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Pros: You become super human. And it's an easy way for a poor college student to get low.
                        Cons: do it wrong and you're farked.
                        The biggest thing is taking the time to do it right, cut a little here, and then a little more. You can always cut more, but you can't glue shit back together.
                        My car rides really well on cut springs.
                        Christof Goulart
                        FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40runr View Post
                          http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

Try that if you wanna be 'legit' about seeing what you're doing with the rate by cutting a coil or two. Honestly, if you aren't doing anything drastic, cutting springs doesn't really have the detrimental effect some would have you believe. That's assuming the perches don't have any special considerations and you are comfortable using simple power tools.

Ultimately, the most common bad effects of cutting springs is blowing out stock shocks by either having too stiff a rate or putting them in an improper part of their stroke (bottoming them out).

edit: don't fuckin heat your springs, and don't do clamps, THOSE truly are shit options. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with cutting a spring.
                          +1.
                          I've been riding on cut springs for months (in the front). I have put my (Tokico) struts out of their "prime operating range", but it'll do till I can get my $cratch together for drop spindles.
                          heating springs leaves the heated part brittle and can cause the spring to break. That's a bad day in suspensionland.

Comment

Originally posted by 4DGS View Post
                            Cut springs;
                            Pros: You look like an idiot
                            Cons: Your car rides like shit and is unsafe

Waste of time, just wait for real suspension.
                            How would you look like an idiot? Lots of people cut springs. A cheap alternative until you save money for a proper suspension system.

Comment

if your plan is bags then i would keep the stock springs uncut in case you ever feel the need to sell the car, or if like many of us who use the car year round. and snow is in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Khabra View Post
                                How would you look like an idiot? Lots of people cut springs. A cheap alternative until you save money for a proper suspension system.
                                For real? You're actually asking why I'm gonna make fun of people who cut springs?

Comment

Working...
                                X