Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheel spacers. huge ones. i really need advice here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel spacers. huge ones. i really need advice here.

so i have a cobalt, i have sawblades which are 9.5 wide with 215/45 r17 falken 512's
    i want mean fitment and lots of poke here. i'm measuring that i need a 1.75" spacer/adapter to fit properly in the front, and i have lots of camber adjustability so that won't be too much of an issue. the guy i am dealing with says i cannot return these spacer adapters because they are a very one off and odd ball spec which i can totally understand.

the rear i am measuring that i want a 2.5" spacer. is this even safe? the guy says he's done 3" spacers and guarantees them if they break. i will upgrade studs for good measure, and always lock tight.

i have a solution to this though, but i need the advice of my fellow stanceworks members to know if this is doable. can i just order 1.5" spacer/adapters all around and add spacers to that to achieve my desired fitment?

halp!!!!!!!!!!!

1 solid piece of metal will always be stronger than 2 individual.. I don't see why this would be bad. I mean yeah its thick, but its really not crazy.
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

if they are hub centric i don't see why not either, but this guy is telling me it's dangerous and can't be done!

Comment

I definitely wouldn't add spacers on top of the 1.75" spacers. That's like a 20mm spacer on top of a 45mm adaper... bad news.. Get it right the first time and order the right size adapters and you'll be fine.

Who's telling you it can't be done? The guy making them? I thought he said he's done 3" and garauntees them?

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Only problem with 3 inch spacers is the leverage it puts on your OEM parts. Sure the guy can gurantee his spacers but if somthing on your car fails due to the massive leverage then its slolemly on you. Wider wheels help spread the leverage and proper camber helps fill in the gaps which is the best way to attack flushness.

Get you some vette wheels.

Visit my blog! It needs some freinds...http://yummystreetcandy.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah i already know the deal with hubs and stuff it's gunna be a little pricey but i love it so whatever. i ordered 1.8" wide spacers for the front and one 2.3" wide spacer for the rear just in case it doesnt work with the camber like i want it to. if it works ill order the other one and be done. i got them from adaptit.com and it was a lot cheaper than i thought i was dealing with someone else all week and they almost got me to spend about 600 dollars on this setup i just paid 180 for 3 fat spacer adapters shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by hotdoghogie View Post
              Only problem with 3 inch spacers is the leverage it puts on your OEM parts. Sure the guy can gurantee his spacers but if somthing on your car fails due to the massive leverage then its slolemly on you. Wider wheels help spread the leverage and proper camber helps fill in the gaps which is the best way to attack flushness.

Get you some vette wheels.
              How would 17x9.5 with 3" spacers and an effective offset of 20 be worse than a straight 17x9.5 +20? Or were you just saying spacing a stock spec wheel is what causes stress? Because that would make sense to me.

Originally posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
              yeah i already know the deal with hubs and stuff it's gunna be a little pricey but i love it so whatever. i ordered 1.8" wide spacers for the front and one 2.3" wide spacer for the rear just in case it doesnt work with the camber like i want it to. if it works ill order the other one and be done. i got them from adaptit.com and it was a lot cheaper than i thought i was dealing with someone else all week and they almost got me to spend about 600 dollars on this setup i just paid 180 for 3 fat spacer adapters shipped.
              adaptitusa? No way they're hub centric...

Comment

vette wheels don't need to be, they have those conical lug nuts. the hub bore on my cobalt will be centric. i'm glad you pointed that out, most people would have never known.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                  How would 17x9.5 with 3" spacers and an effective offset of 20 be worse than a straight 17x9.5 +20? Or were you just saying spacing a stock spec wheel is what causes stress? Because that would make sense to me.
                  I dont know if i was clear here. What i ment to say is if you have a lower offset wheel, it is better then a wheel that is spaced out. The low offset wheel still bolts flat to the hub and doesnt create as much initial stress on the hub/ lugs as a spacer would. Technically by giving a rim more offset or spacer it is going to add stress and the wider your rims width is the longer the leverage arm will be also creating yet more stress. This is multiplied for those whole like to run excessive negative camber.
                  Last edited by hotdoghogie; 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM.

Visit my blog! It needs some freinds...http://yummystreetcandy.blogspot.com/

Comment

my friend has 2" spacers on his mustang... I don't see why that wouldn't be fine.

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

i'm saying to add a spacer to a spacer/adapter to widen the adapter

Comment

Just order the correct size adapters.. I would have thought that would have been fairly obvious.
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

when we talk about 20-30mm spacers, is the best choice the BOLT-ON ones? Which are safer?

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
                            when we talk about 20-30mm spacers, is the best choice the BOLT-ON ones? Which are safer?
                            Bolt-on for sure.

Comment

no no no guys, i am saying i can only order up to a specific size before they are non returnable and non refundable. i would like to get them a tad smaller than i measured and then add 5mm or so spacers to them for the option of going wider if i need to. but is adding a spacer to an already existing adapter a dangerous thing to do?

Comment

Working...
                              X