Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinrichs Mk4 Tdi...it has how many miles?

Default Hinrichs Mk4 Tdi...it has how many miles?

After just about a month of ownership, I figured its finally time to start a new build thread or whatever these end up being.

Lets catch up everyone who has not seen my last build. Here is the golf. It was cool. I never drove it. All I did was spend a lot of money on it. https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...-your-mk3-back

IMG-3798 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Basically to really get it where I wanted I just couldn't justify the build anymore. I got a lot of "interesting" trade offers. I got this picture and info and was kind of interested but there kept being issues to see the car. I almost pulled the 2.0 to swap in the VR and keep the golf since I was getting annoyed with everyone.

IMG-4447 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Anyway I took my lunch break one day to meet the guy at the notary. I looked it over and decided to trade. Did I test drive the car before deciding? NOPE....why would we do that. First pic driving it home. Decided to keep the thing hanging from the rear-view.

IMG-4449 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    65342053390--656E7951-197E-41B1-97E0-96F99F629040 by minthinrich, on Flickr[/SIZE][/FONT]

Within 5 minutes of getting the car home I remembered I had some pedal covers. Threw them on to make it mine haha.

65342399942--130EE2A0-249A-407A-8441-6678011A82FF by minthinrich, on Flickr

Fixing little issues happened the rest of the day. The guy said the ebrake never worked, and didnt know why. I pulled apart the center console, and imagine that.....they were never hooked up. So easy 5 min fix and we had a working e-brake.

IMG-4467 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Boost gauge never lit up was another thing I fixed. I traced the wires into the dash, and once again, never hooked up. I wired it in using an old diy and it worked perfectly. I did find in my old parts stash one of the best fitting and looking gauges on the market from years ago. I will rewrap it when I do the headliner and pillars. I still love the MK4 indigo colors.

IMG-4462 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    65357443194--E956927F-F917-4557-A701-A50E62FA1845 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I also had to get rid of the light bars right away. I will use them on my riding mower, but they do not belong on the car. Took the car for a drive up to the pagoda to see how she really felt.

IMG-4488 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Already modding since day 1, that is the spirit. Subscribed of course

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. What year is it? Any mods from the previous owner? I've had two of these MKIV TDIs and they're great (maybe you have too?).

Quote Originally Posted by mgpdoc View Post
    Already modding since day 1, that is the spirit. Subscribed of course
    I just couldn't resist. Working from home now sure makes it boring and anything new is exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick40 View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. What year is it? Any mods from the previous owner? I've had two of these MKIV TDIs and they're great (maybe you have too?).
    I could have made out better on the trade, but the golf was more cool parts, and a junk shell. I will get into mods in here next. I have to say tho, I absolutely love the car already.

So lets go over what this car really is. Here is what was said to be done by the previous owner. I will mention parts then maintenance. 2003 in all its glory.

Mods/Parts-
    -black housing headlights
    -light bars
    -3" kerma tdi exhaust w/ resonator
    -stage 2 tune (might change more on this later)
    - coilovers
    - turbo
    - 17" arietta wheels
    - 17" long beach wheels

Maintenance items-
    - control arms
    - e-brake cables
    - ball joints
    - rear pads/rotors
    - rear caliper
    - brake master
    - fluids
    - coolant bubble

So the only real hesitation on the car was the miles. I mean I mentioned it in the title so I am sure someone has been wondering. She/He/It has 346,572 as of today typing this. I think I put close to 1k on it since I got it. I read enough reviews about cars hitting 6-700k so I am not scarred. I kind of really hope I can get the car to 500k.

This thing just hits me hard with nostalgia. I had a 2004.5 Gli years ago, which I now regret ever selling, that was my first real "build". The funny part is I wanted to TDI swap the Gli and keep it but I was no where near being ready or capable of swapping a motor.

DSC-0098 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Last edited by hinrichs; 10-14-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

So the weekend I got the car I headed off to the junkyard to see what I could find for the car. I was on a mission for fenders but ended up with some other parts I didnt think about at first.

Driver fender was the worst. PO covered the hole with a sticker, which really wouldnt have been bad if I didnt touch it. Sucks how many MK3/4 get ruined from fender liners.

65368014104--26E080A2-FEF9-464C-9B44-5499DE45A4E6 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Managed to find a half decent fender, but it has a minor dent in the front corer which I will massage out eventually.

IMG-4636 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I also ended up getting the lower under dash plastic panel, ash tray with door, and rear trunk mat. I know it looks stupid but my "fix on the center console works till I swap to all black or find another grey one. Trunk mat just annoyed me for being wavy. So $40 for everything including the fender, I was happy.

IMG-4491 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4489 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4490 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next post will be mods. I ordered a bunch of goodies.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 10-14-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Nice, what are the plans for this one? Your black one looked proper!

@projects_always

Let's go! #burnallthemk4s
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

So after finally looking through the trunk and finding the coilover wrenches, I made an order. Nothing against what was on the car, and honestly they rode kinda good for being Maxpeedingrod brand. The car didnt come with rear perches and I wanted the adjustability. Sold the used coils for $74 so I was happy. I ended up ordering some solowerk s1. If I only would have known I was getting this car I could have gotten them cheaper at the Loe Show. Oh well. Also decided this time around to order the ECS install kit. I am usually cheap, but having all new bolts was kind of cool.

IMG-4586 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4587 by minthinrich, on Flickr'
    IMG-4588 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Install was a breeze, car sits at a decent height. I think it did settle a little after but need to re-adjust everything. I also have the helpers and everything in.

IMG-4589 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Looking a lot better closer to the ground, what's next on the list?!
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by TRaNz View Post
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Next up was the lighting of the car. As you might have noticed I threw in amber fender markers. The stock clear ones came apart in pieces just putting new bulbs in. Also ended up swapping in some oem euro tails, which look a lot better to me. Hard to beat them at $79 new. I did wire up the rear fog as well. I ordered new bumper markers because guess what, they also fell apart quick. I do want to order a euro rubstrip tho.

IMG-4507 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4509 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Onto the headlights. The "black housing" ones were not terrible but when I tried to get the fog lights to work I noticed a lot of issues. Missing parts and just overall build is a joke. I ended up getting my friends vx-tuning ecodes. I was going to order the exact set I wanted (amber turns) but didnt want to wait a few weeks since I am really driving this car a lot. He decided to sell his brand new with no led bulbs. I still want to get their projectors, but I didnt want to wait till next spring for those.

IMG-4606 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4607 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

This looks cleaner and cleaner by the day.
    Maybe go for an engine wash and detail to start with a clean canvas. It helps a lot i think.

Funny how here in the UK we're always after US parts like the rubstrips, markers, taillights etc and you US guys are after what we have

I've got the same but with a weak 1.6 16v, reflex silver too!

This looks cleaner and cleaner by the day.
    Maybe go for an engine wash and detail to start with a clean canvas. It helps a lot i think.
    I will have to try and wash the bay. I have never done it before since I was always nervous of ruining it somehow. I do need to source an engine cover since its missing and really annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by gruz View Post
    Funny how here in the UK we're always after US parts like the rubstrips, markers, taillights etc and you US guys are after what we have

I've got the same but with a weak 1.6 16v, reflex silver too!
    You should check out my last build. I went so far as wanting your parts I did a rhd swap. I would love to find some texture rubstrips for this and a 4motion lip. Both seem almost impossible right now.

So the next update.....wheels.

I ended up picking up some Brock B6 locally 17x8.5 and 17x10. Perfect period wheels for the car. I am really on the fence now about them however.

65436457595--ED05DF76-D7CD-45D6-AD68-9E5C6189094A by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    I would love to find some texture rubstrips for this and a 4motion lip. Both seem almost impossible right now.
    If you can't find any rubstrips, make your own! Bedliner spray of sorts works a treat usually.

I liked the mk3 build too, good bit of dedication on the conversion!

So the other day I finally decided to dig into why the heat sucks. The car also does not have AC, but I will investigate that sometime this winter. I did pick up an o-ring kit to try and seal it. Anyway I went about pulling half of the interior to get to the heater flaps. To no surprise there was like 10% of the foam left. Ordered 2 kits from DSP because I hid the 1 from myself too well haha. Anyway here is the install...of course the first set was black and looked cooler. Anyway it works. Oh and I did find the first kit I ordered. It was inside my CD case in the jetta. Yup.

IMG-4655 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4656 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Finally gave it a real bath in prep for a full polish and wax.

IMG-4666 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Bought some super expensive $20 mud flaps on amazon. I had oem ones before years ago and kinda liked them. I am sure they wont last long. The front fits damn good for the price. The rear kinda sucks.

IMG-4709 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4708 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Last edited by hinrichs; 10-27-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

I will find where you live. And come remove those mud flaps off the car. Then I will get back in the plane to Greece.

That's a promise.

I will find where you live. And come remove those mud flaps off the car. Then I will get back in the plane to Greece.

That's a promise.
    Hahahah. I know they are terrible. Once I decide on what skirts I want to run, they will come off.

Anyway I got a surprise order delivered earlier than I expected. I could have waited and found one locally, and a thule one was just posted for super cheap but I am a sucker for OEM accessories.

IMG-4704 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Box was kinda damaged. Worried parts would be missing. Got lucky and wrapped up well. Immediately threw it on the car.

IMG-4707 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4700 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

I love this . Looks very smart and OEM+

Next up was a new tune from Kerma Tdi. I cant really tell any difference, but I need to get nozzles on order to really wake up the car. Flash loader thing was cool to use tho.

IMG-4715 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Not sure what map sensor I had, so I ordered a new one and of course didnt need the $12 adapter. Oh well

IMG-4714 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Threw on my friends black GLI lip to see what it would look and sit like. I still want a 4 motion lip...just cant find one.

65714390635--475A7403-2814-4C78-BA27-07BE85DD3609 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Some minor updates. Lets see what has been going on recently.

First all just a random trip to the pagoda to check out the new road work. Threw on the basket in prep for getting an xmas tree with the wife soon.

IMG-4725 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Finally caved in to fill the car up. I went 515 miles on 12.3 gal. Deff happy with the miles and I will push it further next time. Of course had to get some terrible pumping gas pics.

IMG-4731 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4733 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next on some mods. This one really bothered me and I wish it didn't. Now admittedly the ALH Tdi motor really isn't anything special to look at. It is just even worse missing the engine cover.

IMG-4750 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I snagged an oem cover off ebay. I wish I picked another one but oh well it wasnt too bad. I stripped off the silver which I will repaint someday as that is what was oem I think. Also added a push on mounting retrofit kit from ecs. All oem parts make me happy. Just looks so much better now. I did get a new battery box cover but I dont have the correct size battery tray yet.

IMG-4749 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    65748432492--C6062928-6FAC-44EE-AAC2-11CED9C5FF48 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Some minor updates. Lets see what has been going on recently.

Man this is starting to look really OEM+ post by post. keep it up . The lip looked really nice. And the engine cover smartens up all the tdi engines, which dont look nice without them to be honest. Ask me how i know.

Cheers

Mike

Man this is starting to look really OEM+ post by post. keep it up . The lip looked really nice. And the engine cover smartens up all the tdi engines, which dont look nice without them to be honest. Ask me how i know.

Cheers

Mike
    Your going to be happy to know the skirts came, so the mudflaps are gone.

Next up was starting to swap out parts of the tan interior. I ended up getting some spare door cards, which I stripped to try something slightly different. I kind of like it, kind of **** them. It does remind me of my b5 s4 tho. Anyway I ended up painting a lot of parts and it turned out great for what I spent. I need to get some real pics once I get a black carpet.

65774929486--221077F9-DE8C-46E5-96AF-D7EFB5A60AAA by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4767 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    65772833351--BBC51030-1691-4557-833A-0C78EEC41471 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also decided it was finally time to throw the wheels on and see what it really looks like. I really need to make up my mind on tires sizes and get them on order so I can enjoy this setup. Currently on 205/40 and 205/50.

65818803770--5B794B14-E6C0-41E7-8C85-64C57FE53E03 by minthinrich, on Flickr

10mm spacers all around makes for damn near perfect fitment

65818806140--74E19F69-0693-45CF-857A-1665CD96E019 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    65818807744--57233CB4-5DD1-4C9D-B96C-75EA68B9AEF2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Your going to be happy to know the skirts came, so the mudflaps are gone.
    Looks so much better now Coming along nicely. The fitment looks like it is coming great. Just make sure u have no travel at the back, otherwise it will destroy the paint. Maybe needs a tad lower on profile number for daily use, rather than more negative camber.

I didn't know you had this!

BROCKS BROCKS BROCKS BROCKS

I kinda like the chunky tires tbh.

Also, I was just thinking yesterday about how I want a TDI. Looks like you've made a lot of progress, nice man.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Looks so much better now Coming along nicely. The fitment looks like it is coming great. Just make sure u have no travel at the back, otherwise it will destroy the paint. Maybe needs a tad lower on profile number for daily use, rather than more negative camber.
    Without the 10mm spacers It sits just about flush which is probably how I will run it. These tires are kind of a stupid size that are mounted now. I am thinking a 205/45 up front and 225/45 out back.

Quote Originally Posted by rightfullrudder View Post
    I didn't know you had this!

BROCKS BROCKS BROCKS BROCKS

I kinda like the chunky tires tbh.

Also, I was just thinking yesterday about how I want a TDI. Looks like you've made a lot of progress, nice man.
    Outside of here I really dont post anything about it. I highly recommend getting one, they are fun in a different way. Once I get tires the brocks will be on. The chunky rears look great but the fronts are way small right now. If I had air id keep the sizes. I think a 205/45 and 225/45 will look okay, but nervous with the big width difference.

Next up was something I noticed the other day. A lot of the body plugs were rotted away or missing. 18 year old rubber makes sense I guess. Glad they were only $1.89 ea for oem. Ordered up a few to replace. A few fit a little off due to slight dents so I seam sealed them in just incase. This car is very clean underneath.

IMG-4831 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4832 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4833 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also test fit the skirts the other day. I need to stop being lazy and get them painted and mounted. Fit is like 75% good. Kinda wish I waited for oem but whatever.

IMG-4799 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Ordered up a hybrid pan for the clutch swap day. Figure itll be easy to swap the pan when its all pulled apart. This car isnt really low...but this is just insurance for the future.

65833003618--41870D0B-1017-4071-937F-008BFD4BBFAF by minthinrich, on Flickr

Yesterday was slow at work so I ended up getting the new injectors swapped in. The ones in the car were the stock 90hp nozzles with unknown miles on them. I went with DLC 764 which should be a nice bump in power.

IMG-4836 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4850 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-4838 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs