"It fell off a truck." W124 300E AMG Hammer x Louis Vuitton Purse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It fell off a truck." W124 300E AMG Hammer x Louis Vuitton Purse

A buddy of mine runs a junk yard about a half mile from my house, and I've helped him sell a bunch of older Euro cars that were tough sells. Anytime something unusual comes into the yard, he sends me a message and I usually find him a buyer within 24 hours. A good friend of mine bought a gold Porsche 928 out of the yard, another friend rescued a rust free Saab 900 Turbo to save his 900SPG, so I have a pretty good success rate.

Yesterday I received a text around 10:45AM:

Shit. On Sunday I was having a major personal crisis because two of my friends are keeping several broken project cars at my house, and I can't get my summer daily '66 Amazon wagon out of the driveway until they finish their repairs. I honestly don't want any more cars right now, I could benefit from having less, but, what's this? A W124 with an AMG kit? Louis Vuitton interior? I just need to see it, even if only for the Instagram fodder.

I arrived about 15 minutes later and this is what I saw.

Yeah, it's a lot to take in. Supposedly it belonged to a well-known local pharmacist who recently retired. His son didn't have any interest in restoring pop pop's old car and sent it to the yard after a tree fell on it. After some digging, I found out that it wasn't a 1990 300E, it's actually older. It started life as a white '86 300E, had the Louis Vuitton interior installed sometime in the 1990s, and received the AMG candy sparkle red paint sometime in the 2000s, along with the 18" Lorinser wheels. My immediate thoughts were that it's grotesque, but also kind of cool... Maybe I am deranged.

Low-key, I've been on the hunt for a 1986 model year car; I have a '66 Volvo Amazon, a '76 W114 280, and a '960 960 wagon, so finding an '86, car would fill that 19X6 position, plus it's my birth year. I took it as a sign and asked, "What do you guys want for this thing"

My friend replied, "let me talk to the boss."

He returned a few minutes later, "you can have it if you can get it out of the yard today. We're just gonna crush it."

Done. By 3PM, the AMG x LV Hammer Purse was in my driveway.

Obviously this project isn't turn key, in fact, the new ignition came in a box of parts in the trunk. No immediate plans other than getting it running and figuring out just what's wrong with it. A buddy of mine and I are putting together a little resurrection video to get the outside cleaned up.

Long term, I'd like to drop it, swap in a 6MT from a C230K, and switch the wheels out for some clean ones that don't poke out almost 2" from the fenders. It would be cool to preserve the interior as part of the story, but it's really rough and badly sun damaged. The faux LV material is very brittle and tears easily. I might just find another W124 and swap the interior over, but the red on red theme slays me.
    Last edited by Børk Volvo; 06-08-2021, 07:36 AM. Reason: Picture links
    Volvo: 1966 122 Wagon & 1969 1800S // Mercedes-Benz: 1977 280SE & 1986 300E AMG Hammer x Louis Vuitton Purse

As good as a barn find! Nice!!

Comment

What a story That LV interior is so insane, I actually quite like it I'd also try to preservce it, but get rid of the wood because it doesnt fit the rest of the interior.
      Tut DAS denn Not, dass der Karren so tief is?

Comment

Update, I was able to extract the original ignition tumbler and install a new one. This was not an easy task because the original one was frozen; the plate is hardened steel and very difficult to drill out, so I cut it out with an angle grinder after partially disassembling the dash. With the new tumbler installed, I put a new battery in the car; it cranks strong, but it has no fuel. At this point, the fuel pump is probably dead but I haven't looked much further. I finished working at the car after 10PM last night, so I will have to mess around with it another time when I have some daylight.
        Volvo: 1966 122 Wagon & 1969 1800S // Mercedes-Benz: 1977 280SE & 1986 300E AMG Hammer x Louis Vuitton Purse

Comment

"Pharmacist" LOL

Comment

Good find and save.
            It has potential. Tint all the windows, some non chome wheels, and a dramatic lowering and it would look quiet contempary.

Also how do you open the doors?!

Comment

Oef that's pretty cool. Ditch the 00's tuning style and give the outside a proper AMG look. Would've like to see you keep the interior, but if it deteriorating... a shame
              Old project: Suzuki Swift mk1 GTi carbs '86
              New Project: Porsche 944 S '87
              Follow me: Whiteknuckleride
              My band on Spotify: Edison Road

Comment

That interior (and all of the other "dated" mods) are too period-specific and cool not to keep! I hope you do, anyway. It speaks to the cultural moment. You know how period-correct hot rods and now bosuzoku and Wangan-style cars are so extremely coveted (and imitated) today? I wonder if the same will be true for this sort of pimped out style.

Comment

Duude. This is too rad. Definitely a thread I'm going to watch.
                  Bagged MKIV R32
                  1983 BMW R80
                  @Zachbox

Comment

Working...
                  X