New Balance and Jean shorts..non typical C5 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, yes and more yes!
    The 3D printed inserts are wild, that's something I wish more companies were doing, taking the 3D printing shit more serious.

Legit to see the motor mounts all sorted, does it feel a hell of a lot stiffer in the car?
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Had a decent friday/weekend working on the car. My roll bar showed up friday around lunch, so I worked on getting it un packaged and put together for a test fit. Pulled the front seats with my helper

IMG-3234 by minthinrich, on Flickr\

Put the bar together, then threw it on the carpet and into the car to see how it fit.

IMG-3227 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      63709247887--6892D5F3-BF47-454B-A85B-BEB1A2308516 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      63709248871--2811EF9E-1361-4EAD-9843-1CF1CEDA1989 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Threw the seat in to check measurements.

IMG-3259 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-3260 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-3261 by minthinrich, on Flickr

After measuring, I am right on the line of passing tech for where my seat lands. A few other things I dont like as well, so the bar is either getting sold, or returning to kirk racing. Kind of sucks to be back to square one with the cage dilemma but I am trying to make a smart decision for this year. Main thing is do I really need to keep going to race hill climbs, or should I just do autocross and track events till I make sure I really like the car. I will order a harness bar so I can still run the seat if I go that direction.

So after all the headache with the roll bar (called a few friends) I ended up installing some other parts. First was the harmonic balancer since the stock one was a little wobble. I ordered a summit pulley, arp bolt, and install tools. I can say I am very happy I ordered the correct tools. It really wasnt too bad. You have to pull the steering rack which was the worst part, but it only took me a few hours.

IMG-3243 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Since the upper control arms had to be come off to lower the subframe down a little, I decided to install the AMT motorsport upper control arm stud kit. It replaces the stock bolts and makes using shims for alignment a lot easier. Took no time to swap around. I had ample time to let the loctite set. I still need to install the lower camber locking plates, but I want to schedule an alignment first so I know how long I have to get them in vs driving it.

IMG-3255 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-3254 by minthinrich, on Flickr

While the front end was apart, I also figured it was time to install the tow hook. Install went kind of well, but I need to fix 2 nutcerts to really make it secure on the backside. It was in a tight spot and I should have pulled it to re-tap the certs before I tried to bolt it on. One doesnt really line up and the other pushed into the frame with the bolt stuck. Thats for another day tho. I also cut and installed the z06 style fog screens. I think it really cleans up the front end and makes it look sportier. I took out the vararam intake since there was fitment issues no matter which side I ran the tow hook. I ordered an SLP filter and threw it in.

63726713614--13DDE0CF-C9C9-4B1D-AB71-E7B88CBE007C by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-3305 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      Last edited by hinrichs; 03-15-2021, 11:20 AM.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Not much new to update on. I did get the camber lock plates installed which really was not bad at all. Getting the stock rear eccentric bolts out was more of a pain than anything. I set them to the max "street" setup, so we will see when I can get an alignment at what it landed me at. I can always bump them to the "track" position if I want more camber. Only pic I took of that. I did a halfass diy alignment to try and get it close, since my front toe was out about 1" which was crazy. The rear is also kinda adjusted so hopefully monday I can find a shop.

IMG-3312 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I sold the rollbar, hopefully it makes it to the new owner safe. I had a few guys locally bail of course, so I had to ship it out to Cali which was not fun, or cheap. I did make a decision on what I am going to install however after talking to a few friends for real advice. Here is a teaser of the cage, I took from the vendors facebook.

IMG-3318 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Probably overkill, but everytime I mention running a Hill Climb, you really get a different answer from guys who just run on track. I could have just went with a rear only, but figure why not just go all out and do it right the first time. I did ask about adding the front section in after the rear install, and while it might be possible, this vendor told me its next to impossible with how their kit fits. They wont even try it in their own shop. Hopefully it ships out sometime next week so I can strip down the car and start getting to work.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

That new cage is something else! Is it bolt in or weld in?

Either way, solid progress. Looking forward to seeing this rip around!
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
            That new cage is something else! Is it bolt in or weld in?

Either way, solid progress. Looking forward to seeing this rip around!
            Its a lot of cutting, and full weld in.
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              Its a lot of cutting, and full weld in.
              Ahah a lot of cutting! I'm so pumped for you
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

Jungle gym showed up, hopefully I can start the prep and install next week

63959807638__408CA7B6-D3CB-4222-8887-31653E2F4294 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Spent a few hours over the weekend stripping out the interior to get ready for the cage install. Thought this sticker on the seatbelt was rather funny.

IMG_3474 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Small pile of parts. I will need to install most of it back in to stay in a street class outside of the seats. I do have some exceptions for things that physically can not go back in due to bars from the cage. From what I can tell I should be able to make it look half decent.

63976540835__3B1E0162-3F1B-4DC1-A687-9FE72183BD92 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I still have a little bit of carper in the rear, but Its not really near where the bars land. Also taking dash out was surprisingly easy. The cuts are also very minimal to get it back inside the car

IMG_3476 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  IMG_3477 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Good progress, would love to see the cage installed soon and trim fitted back
                    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Dude you're quite serious about this it seems

Looks awesome, I always had a sweetspot for the C5 Corvette and always love myself a good track-oriented Build! <3

Comment

So after a lot of cutting, and I mean ALOT, I finally was able to get the cage fit, and all tacked in. The worst part was massaging the windshield frame since this cage fits so tight everywhere for driver fitment. I will get some horror shots if I still can. I have one spot to cut yet but that is for final welding. Here is the full cage fit in the car.

IMG-3497 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        IMG-3499 by minthinrich, on Flickr

The top does fit on the car as well. Here is before most tubes were added, but you can not see the upper roof bars which makes me happy. I think the "best cage on the east coast builder" has them lower.

IMG-3495 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Last picture I decided to throw in my seat mainly to make sure the extra small rear support fit with my seat. Large/tall drivers do not fit with that extra bar in the car. Good thing for me I have tons of clearance everywhere. I had issues with that in my E36 where no matter where I put the seat, when I tilted my head to the left, I hit the cage. Sure I run padding but its very thin and minimal and it was still too close. It honestly made the car annoying to drive and you felt almost claustrophobic while racing. Right now the corvette feels roomy as can be. I would have loved to put NASCAR style bars in the car, but loosing my windows was not worth it for me. The car seems to be just as easy to get into as before, but there are 2 bars yet to be installed which I will test today.

IMG-3500 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Spent a few days welding. It really wasnt all too bad, but I did make one mistake which would have made final welding easier but oh well. If I ever install another one of these I sure know some tricks. The worst part was cutting the rear wheel tubs to get to the main hoop plate. I waited to do this till the end which was dumb, but I was really trying to not cut this part. Nice little window that I closed back up on both sides.

IMG-3564 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Threw on some eastwood extreme chassis black, wish I prepped it better.

IMG-3550 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Still working on fitment, but the trunk/hatch is looking decent now that I got the speaker covers back on.

64125131751--9EEA0F54-E9A5-4B39-8DF2-355ABE1E1EA5 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                            IMG-3570 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Need to make a decision for a passenger seat as well. I am really torn in what to do. My fake OCD says it needs to match close with a WRC-R bucket, but thats not exactly cheap for it to not get used. Either way the stock seat sits very high and now has no seatbelt.

IMG-3566 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Good work on that cage, I like how it blends in with the car. I'm sure you can't wait to drive it
                              "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                              Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

I still have cage padding to add but the interior is "finished" for now. Someday I will get the dash fitment better, but honestly the side you can see that sticks out has been bad since day 1. Most of the mounting tabs were broken when I pulled it out of the car. I still would like to flock it or something just to see how it turns out. I also threw in the fire extinguisher mount which works fine for now and will pass tech. I will be ordering another onboard system like I had in my E36.

IMG_3617 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Just 2 pics of the driver seat and cage. I have padding coming on Friday to replace some very thick stuff that I bought in error. I should have known better and went to my local shop but whatever. I also was able to get the driver lower dash back in which really made it look finished. I will order a passenger seat next week if I dont end up using my friends Kirkey for this year.

IMG_3618 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                IMG_3619 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I felt really bad doing this, but I wanted some kind of door panel back in the car. I planned to sell them to recoup some money.....but really didnt think anyone would need the grey color my interior actually is. The passenger side I was able to keep a lot of the panel and window switch which worked out well. I still have some minor trimming to perfect the fitment but its very close. Driver side panel fits very different so a lot more got chopped away. In the end with the doors shut it looks very good to me. I did attach the window switch controls and everything works as it should, just harder to get to it.

IMG_3602 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                64209288860__50038C9C-A63F-4D16-9975-E1CBF849A82A by minthinrich, on Flickr
                                64209398855__FF12D555-E8D6-40D0-ABE5-2DA8ACF23BD7 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I drove the car finally yesterday, I will take it out again today and maybe stop for some pics along the way. The alignment is much better but still needs to be checked.
                                Last edited by hinrichs; 05-12-2021, 08:07 AM.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X