New Balance and Jean shorts..non typical C5 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Balance and Jean shorts..non typical C5 build

Some of you may know about this, most probably don't since these forums are kind of a ghost town anymore.

I had listed my old m3 for sale for what seemed like forever. Pic of that plus an explanation below.

IMG-0556 by minthinrich, on Flickr

There were a few reasons, and this will just sound like me complaining but here goes. SCCA which I run is a royal pain sometimes when it comes to rules. Especially for an E36 M3. If I had a 328I it would have been different which is sad and funny at the same time. To get my car competitive would have involved a lot of $$$$$ in a motor swap or motor work. Both of which really would have made enough power in the end unless I could have shed another 1,000lb off the car. I was up against 700+ hp mustangs but in the same class as me with my 250hp...which I am sure was a stretch. I went a little overboard on the car, pulled all wiring, full cage that didnt fit me well, and so on. The car was technically still street legal, but barely. It ended up blowing a head gasket before one sale, but I managed to find a father/son duo that knew exactly what they were buying and planned to rebuild the motor. It went to a very good home.

So while endlessly browsing market place, thinking I should just get another E46 M3 which I couldn't find in the price I was willing to pay, or good condition I found something else. Here is the original listing. Went a few days later to check it out with my parents incase I decided I had to have it.

IMG-2361 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-2364 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-2359 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Well guess what, It came home with me. The previous owner did a buff before I got there, and supposedly ceramic coated it (don't believe that part but it was shiny as hell). First pic at night. I have to admit I love the hud. The car also has a full exhaust, tune, and other perfect starter bits like that. I will elaborate on those more after this post.

IMG-2367 by minthinrich, on Flickr

After I got it home to show the wife and take her to dinner, I had to see it with the top off. It conveniently stores in the rear and locks in place...kind of weird but smart.

IMG-2377 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-2405 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Last edited by hinrichs; 02-22-2021, 12:48 PM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

When I saw the title I thought it was spam, lol.
    Car looks solid, are you planning on racing this one also, or will this be more of a street build?
    Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yezzz
      When I saw the title I thought it was spam, lol.
      Car looks solid, are you planning on racing this one also, or will this be more of a street build?
      As soon as I made the thread title and hit save, I regreted not putting more cuz It does seem like a spam post. I might just make a new one but lets see what happens. I will elaborate more on the build today.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

So first thing I did was try and test fit the Apex 18x10s I saved from the BMW. I never mentioned the wheels plus the buyer didn't have the money to cover them anyway. I felt bad as he does plan to street drive the car, and I almost wish I would have kept the Enkei and all the slicks for the vette....but I really wasn't sure what I wanted to buy so I didn't think keeping them made sense. Now I regret that decision but oh well. If I went with wide fenders I could have made the wheels work. You can see below the front alone...granted no camber, poked a fair amount. Also ignore the car being sky high.

IMG-2378 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-2379 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-2380 by minthinrich, on Flickr

So I listed them for sale, took some time but they sold. I was honestly saving them originally in the hopes of finding an E46 since they would have fit perfectly. So I started to browse craigslist and I found a set of 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 Z06 reps that came off a camaro. Left right away and picked them up. This was maybe 1-2 days after buying the vette. They kind of suck, and are still just sitting in the garage since I don't plan on running them. I listed them for sale but no bites yet. I might just get some all seasons or something for next winter for them. They are fake splits, and the bolts are plastic. I pulled all the bolts and was going to mess with a light refinish but havent done anything yet. If they were all 10.5 I would be more inclined to keep them.

IMG-2418 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also threw the car up on the lift to see the exhaust setup, and how weird this thing is underneath since its almost completely flat. The floor is made up of a sandwich of fiberglass/wood/alum. The car has long tube headers and small race cats. It pops and bangs very aggressive on decel which I love. It will sound good coming down the hills.

IMG-2409 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-2408 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Genuinely impressed by how flat the floor is on this thing!
          Very interested to see this car on the ZO6 reps and sitting closer to the floor.

I honestly also thought this was a spam thread and almost deleted it because of the title, but saw your username and figured it was good aha
          IG: @sebastienaudeon
          1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
          *pats Sebs head*
          there there.
          keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

I love the thread title haha, I say leave it.

Cool to see a Vette build, a friend of mine has a C5Z that I got a chance to drive. They're so rowdy, I love it.

I've heard finding C5 wheels is kind of a pain, don't they need really specific, weirdly high offsets to fit anything? Hope you find something cool soon, looking forward to seeing this come together!

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek
              Genuinely impressed by how flat the floor is on this thing!
              Very interested to see this car on the ZO6 reps and sitting closer to the floor.

I honestly also thought this was a spam thread and almost deleted it because of the title, but saw your username and figured it was good aha
              I sent you a PM about that, maybe we can tweak it a little.

Originally posted by bwwaaaa
              I love the thread title haha, I say leave it.

Cool to see a Vette build, a friend of mine has a C5Z that I got a chance to drive. They're so rowdy, I love it.

I've heard finding C5 wheels is kind of a pain, don't they need really specific, weirdly high offsets to fit anything? Hope you find something cool soon, looking forward to seeing this come together!
              Yeah C5 fitment is a rather hard thing. Someday I will probably go some form of a widebody, but fenders are very expensive and most don't fit well or look oem. Lets just say once I decide this car isn't a "street" car anymore, things will drastically change. The wheel issue is mainly the offsets land around 55-60 in a 10.5 or 11. There are options out there, but they are either very expensive or I just dont like the look.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Next up for me was to tackle the sky high ride height. Thankfully these cars are supposed to be very easy to adjust with the stock leaf spring bolts. Yup I said leaf spring bolts...(I know so strange in a performance car). The transverse leaf up front has a threaded bolt and that is how you adjust the height. Out back there is another bolt that goes through the spring and same very easy adjustment. I got the rear down....and then tried to tacked the front. Well the 10mm head stripped, and they were seized in the sleeve. So some searching from miss information (SCCA class rules) I ended up buying some low mile Z06 springs. Install is very easy actually, had them swapped over in about 1 hour. Tried to lower the front and same issue. Here is a picture of the arch difference. Lower ones are the Z06 springs.

IMG-2565 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-2566 by minthinrich, on Flickr

The seller said the front bolts moved...yeah they wouldnt budge for me. The internet will tell you all different methods to get them loose, nothing worked. I welded a bolt to the stock bolts and got them out. One bushing came out...oh no it was the end of the world according to the internet. Well they are very wrong. Some cleaning and JB weld and back to good. The way the threaded bushing works it will never move again and I got the car lowered down.

62698434241--C9081A22-D382-4491-AECF-848BD34240B6 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                62725243343--911F61ED-A2A6-4A05-B5C2-CF7AE8F42635 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-2549 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                62751139717--1BAD498E-E797-40FC-81FF-FF64E238C714 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Not too shabby with the stock wheels and a "proper height"

IMG-2592 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Even thought I bout a set of wheels, and they may have looked good, I really did not want to run staggered anymore. The stock wheels are 17s up front and 18s out back, and I wanted to run 18s all around. The Z06 fake splits are 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 but I still needed to get 2 different size tires, and I like to be able to do a 4 tire rotation. Most of the guys I race with run square on the hills/track so why not run that setup all the time. I started to look for 18x10.5 wheels that were a little different, even a set of stock Z06 rears would have made me happy. I finally made a decision on some replica wheels simple due to price and if I destroy one, its a cheap replacement. Enter some C7 Z06 wheels. 18x10.5 et 56 all around in a gunmetal color, other choice was chrome (NO) or black.

Took them right over to my old tire shop (expensive but the best around), got some TPMS sensors since you cant disable it on my year (should have bought a 2001) and had some Accelera Sport 285/35 mounted up.

IMG-2682 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Waited a day and threw them on the car. I am still not really happy with the color, but they are much better than the stock polished wheels. I plan to get another set of some kind of reps and run some 315/30 slicks. This is mounted with no changes to the suspension other than the previous lowering.

IMG-2689 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  IMG-2688 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  IMG-2690 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Had to roll it outside to see them in the sun.

IMG-2810 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

In for this! I love me some C5 action
                    sigpic

Comment

New wheels aren't bad at all!

@projects_always

Comment

New wheels are good, it also looks like you can still come down a fair amount before the rubbing starts!
                        IG: @sebastienaudeon
                        1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                        *pats Sebs head*
                        there there.
                        keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

This is gonna be good. Keep going my dude.

I'm glad to see the builds section isn't dead.
                          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                          Originally posted by Ollie
                          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

this is gonna be good. can't wait for more.

Comment

So to continue with my daily posts, or trying to keep this thing updated very regular till I get caught up lets see what I did next.

Since this car is meant to handle, I figured why not throw some swaybars and shocks at it. Like I said before it had the C6 Z06 shocks installed to replace the failed stock adjustable ones. It rode great and I really had no complaints, but I figured I would start to look around and find something else. Well I found a good deal on some used Johnny O Connel shocks for a steal. They are $900 new and I paid $300 shipped. Figure I will try them out after finding a lot of good reviews online. I cant tell you yet if they were worth swapping out, but I was able to sell my Z06 shocks easily to recoup some of the cost. I didnt take any pics of them, but here is a stock photo of what they look like. Install again was stupid easy and the internet was wrong. I didnt take anything apart other than swaybars to get them in.

c6-joc-pfadt-shocks-1_2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

While installing the shocks I also did a swaybar upgrade. I never swapped them on a car before, I usually end up taking them out of all my volkswagens. I got a set on order with upgraded sway bar links and got to work. The front is 1-3/8" and rear is 1". I am not sure what stock was, but here are some comparisons. They are huge.

Front bar vs stock

IMG-2772 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              IMG-2842 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

Rear Bar vs stock

IMG-2840 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

Install was super easy. Front is 2 position adjustable, rear is 3 position. I forget where I set them up at to start, but its nothing crazy yet. Strano Parts was so easy to deal with and Sam really knows what he is talking about. All first hand experience which is nice. Here is a pic of the sway links, and the rear installed with the shocks.

IMG-2770 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              IMG-2841 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

I will be doing bushings soon, and a camber lock kit, but just trying to decide on which direction for each of those. There is a very big price gap on bushings that are available for the control arms. I also am trying to decide if ditching the springs and shocks for coilovers will really benifit me at this time, or wait a few years for that.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                              X