No announcement yet.

New Balance and Jean shorts..non typical C5 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good direction you are heading and very correct first mods. New wheels actually look good and fit very well IMO, even if you don't lower it any more.
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Getting daily updates, what is this, 2012 again?!

All the suspension goodness! Getting adjustable sway bars is a solid move too
      IG: @sebastienaudeon
      1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
      *pats Sebs head*
      there there.
      keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

The car had the "zip tie mod" for the airbox, yeah you just take off the cover and its supposed to help. I understand free mods, but I am not a hack and I cant stand shit like that on my cars anymore. Sure this would mimick alot of the filter options on the market, but it really does not get airflow where its mounted so I had to pull it off.

IMG-2381 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I searched around for a while, and honestly who would have thought picking an intake would be a hard choice. Once again, I should have bought a 2001 or newer but lesson learned there. I ended up ordering a Vararam intake which is a true cold air/ram air setup. They claim up to 40hp while moving and you will see why. It draws in air from the fog light ducts straight into the filter. A lot of people swear by them, and the price wasn't really much more than just a giant filter like most company's sell for these cars.

IMG-2456 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Threw it on right away. The fitment is very good, but its not a fun setup to install. Lots of things in the way on these cars, but overall it wasnt too bad.

62629156807--A319FA43-7D04-47F1-9F95-40865C0331EE by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-2475 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        62636124556--EFD8D002-F56C-4F21-A416-BCDEBD61AD3A by minthinrich, on Flickr

Not the most exciting with an intake, but I have more up my sleeves.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

These ram/air intakes blow my mind. It’s crazy how they can claim 40hp increase from just a simple piece of mounded plastic directing the air properly!

I’m genuinely excited to see what comes next man, I know there’s a lot you can play with on these (even if it isn’t a pre-2001) but I’m curious how far you’re thinking you’re going to take it?
          1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
          there there.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
            These ram/air intakes blow my mind. It’s crazy how they can claim 40hp increase from just a simple piece of mounded plastic directing the air properly!

I’m genuinely excited to see what comes next man, I know there’s a lot you can play with on these (even if it isn’t a pre-2001) but I’m curious how far you’re thinking you’re going to take it?
            I usually dont buy into power claims, but I think once your above a certain speed is when it really helps. I can tell you none of the other sets on the market pull air in from the outside. I really should see if there is any dyno charts showing anything on the setup. Tomorrows post will be more about the direction
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              I usually dont buy into power claims, but I think once your above a certain speed is when it really helps. I can tell you none of the other sets on the market pull air in from the outside. I really should see if there is any dyno charts showing anything on the setup. Tomorrows post will be more about the direction
              Yeah, I completely agree, power claims are literally just that, claims, when it comes to bolt ons.
              I shall look forward to tomorrow then!
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

Next up was some decisions on parts for the interior.

The car came with a head unit already which was a nice touch. All I really "needed" to do was fix some wiring to my standards. I still have more to change on that but really didnt want to take the console apart again. Someone used home electrical wiring on the sub, so no pics of that. I did bypass some stuff on the unit tho so I can watch movies in the pits or while waiting around. The surround fits and looks like garbarge, but the oem looking one is $350 so I wont be ordering that anytime soon. I only really like the unit since there is a back up camera.

IMG-2383 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next I called my favorite race shop to set up an appointment to go visit. StableEnergies in garfield NJ. I had to talk to them about a few things like my helmet, and they stock a good selection of seats and other goodies. I sat in a few for a while, and really tried hard to make up my mind on what I wanted for this car. I did grab a new belt that is more HANS compatible than my last schroth belt. The clubman now is all 2" belts and honestly so much more comfortable. I also picked up another steering wheel, same as the bmw, and a seat.

First up was to install the steering wheel. What a royal PITA that was. The corvette wheels are either easy to get off, or very hard. Of course mine put up a fight. I bought a tool on amazon, which of course didnt work right but I got the wheel off. Basically you need a "J" style hook since GM didnt think to add threaded holes like most stock steering wheels. Also ordered another rogue engineering quick release since I have bought like 5 now, and always happy with them.

IMG-2695 (2) by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-2761 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

I skipped a lot of pictures here, cuz I wasnt going to make a thread originally, but here is the seat mounted. I have used so many different BMW floor mount adapters, and nothing comes close to the ease of install of the AMT Motorsports mount I picked for this car. Mark really designs quality parts and while they are very expensive, it worked perfectly. I also made my own lap belt plate which I will get pics of later on when the seat comes out again. I went a little extra on this OMP seat, but I wanted the extra saftey of the head support.

IMG-2664 (2) by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-2745 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

Since I am sure someone might ask, no the seat really isn't a pain to drive around in. The back up camera helps a lot (when it works), and the "wings" really don't block that much when your driving around town. Its annoying to see a passenger more than anything. I will be ordering a WRC-R seat for the passenger side eventually, just waiting since I really don't need it at all. If I start to do more autocross sessions which we don't really have around me, then I will get once since the wife can ride along.
                Last edited by hinrichs; 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Ooooo buddy, delicious changes for the interior indeed!

That really is a strange wheel setup though, I wonder why they make it so difficult?
                  1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                  there there.

Comment

Good to see another C5 on here. I had a lot of fun with my FRC.

Do all the steering lock/security bypass shit. That left me stranded so many times that I ended up selling the car because it was so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by white out View Post
                      Good to see another C5 on here. I had a lot of fun with my FRC.

Do all the steering lock/security bypass shit. That left me stranded so many times that I ended up selling the car because it was so annoying.
                      I think it was disabled before me, I know the steering wheel can always move that is. I do really need to hook up a resistor for the airbag yet tho.

So last thing I was able to install was some fender vents from Electron Sport. They were avail for a while, but finally hit their website. They are 3D printed and very high quality. Here are some pics from their site.

Electron+Sport+Duct-0121 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                      Electron+Sport+Duct-0004 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I should have taken some install pics, but it literally took maybe 30 min for both sides. I will be taking more pictures again after this one when I am installing parts. Both sides came with a very good template. All you have to do is drop the inner fender liner, pulled the stock block off plastic bit, trim, and reinstall. Cars gonna be very dirty from now on.

IMG-3085 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                      C4A51102-383A-4F02-A356-3A66F7639F77 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                      IMG-3110 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Not sure what they will do, but venting positive pressure behind the wheels always helps.
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I dig that companies are selling 3D printed parts for crazy form stuff like this. Those will help, especially for track days. I did a much more butchered fix on a freind's FRC autocross car ages ago, those printed parts are 100x cleaner.
                        BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                        Originally posted by Ollie
                        We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                          I dig that companies are selling 3D printed parts for crazy form stuff like this. Those will help, especially for track days. I did a much more butchered fix on a freind's FRC autocross car ages ago, those printed parts are 100x cleaner.
                          I am kind of surprised more things arent out for these cars as how popular and cheap they are becoming. I mean you can buy any kinda chrome panel or trim piece or badge for these cuz of the old demographic that used to own them. Performance parts are good but not at the same time its weird.

While this exhaust sounds very good, I cant stand the single tips. I know its just visual, but I **** when I see them. Not sure its worth spending for a new exhaust tho. I have been keeping an eye out for used systems, just shipping can be rather expensive on these due to one set of pipes.

IMG-3115 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          IMG-3114 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          Last edited by hinrichs; 03-04-2021, 08:21 AM.
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Those fender vents are sweet and functional.

I ***** the little plastic inserts, pulled mine and told myself it helped cool the engine bay a bit more. But the look of the vents with depth was much nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by white out View Post
                              Those fender vents are sweet and functional.

I ***** the little plastic inserts, pulled mine and told myself it helped cool the engine bay a bit more. But the look of the vents with depth was much nicer.
                              I know a lot of track guys were very excited to try running them, so I figure why not jump in and try myself.

Todays list of parts was to install my AMT Motorsport engine mounts, and also the diff mount. I was going to push getting them for a while, but I was lucky enough to win the diff mount on another forum, which saved me a good bit. I called Mark up when I heard I won and got a set of the engine mounts that I was eyeing up anyway. Easier to save on shipping and get them both. Diff mount was easy. I only took a pic of the stock one and then the new mount and installed. Kinda sucks you never see it. Install basically was loosen all the stock bolts, and jack up the trans. Fish out the mount from its hole, and replace.

IMG-3205 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              IMG-3206 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              IMG-3207 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Then onto the motor mounts. I didnt take many pictures cuz this really turned into a chore. I had to lower the subframe, loosen the stock mounts on the block, pull the stock mounts, then put in the new ones. It took a few hours but its finally finished. The mounts are a thing of beauty, and designed well. Curious to see the difference in the car with both installed. There is still rubber inside, but much more solid all around. Hard to see installed, but its in there.

IMG-3209 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              IMG-3208 by minthinrich, on Flickr

A pic back outside since. Its crazy how low the roof really is on this thing.

IMG-3204 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I knew you had this but I missed the thread somehow! Always loved C5s and looks like you are progressing quick.
                                Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Working...
                                X