No announcement yet.

New Balance and Jean shorts..non typical C5 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cage/Seat/Steering wheel look great. . . so does the passenger door. Driver needs some ingenuity, but shouldn't be too bad to make it all good.

Comment

Originally posted by white out View Post
      Cage/Seat/Steering wheel look great. . . so does the passenger door. Driver needs some ingenuity, but shouldn't be too bad to make it all good.
      I do plan to do something better this coming winter. I wanted to keep as much of the door card as I could on the driver side, but it was much thicker compared to the passenger side due to the air vent. I plan to make some kind of ABS panel I think, but for now it will work.

I added some padding to the cage and ran out quick. Makes me really wonder how many feet of piping I installed, since 9 ft doesnt even fully cover the driver side lol. I do have more on order so hopefully that shows up fast. This makes me feel better on the street plus it doubles as an arm rest.

IMG-3638 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

More street car stuff. I never liked the way the sub box fit that came with the car. It sounded good but looked dumb. I had this kicker hideaway sitting in the garage for a few years now so I figured why not use it. I was going to put it in the wifes car, but I can use the old sub for that. Got it installed in the rear cubby and it fits perfect under the cover. I will probably pull it out eventually, but I like decent-ish sound when driving it around.

IMG-3668 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-3670 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I have been on the fence trying to decide on a passenger seat. After lots and lots of marketplace hunting, I ended up finding exactly what I wanted. Gently used OMP WRC-R. The seat is basically new and gently used. I paid half of what a new seat would be, which was my plan since it really will not have that many passengers. The WRC is basically the same as my seat, just without the head portion. Now to decide on a mount and belt.

IMG-3663 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Threw on some vinyl for internet cred, and also the class numbers for the upcoming race.

IMG-3634 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        IMG-3626 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        Last edited by hinrichs; 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Ran out to NJ to grab my seat Tuesday night. Have not been out near Englishtown Raceway in a long time. Took the truck which was kinda dumb, but the seat fit in the back.

IMG-3688 by minthinrich, on Flickr

It did come with a half decent mount that fits a C6. I threw the seat in for a test fit to see where it would land since it wasnt adjustable at all, and if I could make the mount work. Last picture of the stock passenger seat installed.

IMG-3689 by minthinrich, on Flickr
          IMG-3692 by minthinrich, on Flickr

If I would have thought ahead and ordered seat bolt extenders I probably could have used the mount. I went hunting in the garage and grabbed a set of Sparco side mounts that I had saved from the MK1 Gti I bought. I want to swap them for omp mounts just for a little more adjustment eventually. Decided to just make my own floor mount which came out half decent. I should have made it a little higher up, but it works fine for what I need.

IMG-3695 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Decided to relocate my fire extinguisher down onto the seat mount to give the passenger more knee room. This is temporary until I get another fire system on order and installed. I still need to order a harness for the passenger side, but the carpet is back in and seat is bolted down.

IMG-3696 by minthinrich, on Flickr
          IMG-3697 by minthinrich, on Flickr
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Test fit the car into my friends enclosed last night. I will pull it out and get it washed, then loaded back up for the race at Summit Point this weekend. I will try and get pics and videos when my friend drives so I have a more exciting post for next week.

64384907992--24942984-8C68-44D6-9B36-3722779D6124 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            IMG-3703 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Wow that cage is nuts, and I really like the half door panels actually. Definitely the kind of thing I would do lol.
              Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                Wow that cage is nuts, and I really like the half door panels actually. Definitely the kind of thing I would do lol.
                I still have plans for a better panel, but that can wait till winter or a day I am really bored. The car will always be a "street car" so I want to keep making it better. I did finally found a better class for the future when I do some engine mods.

So the first race of the season.....

The weather was perfect for 2 weeks prior to the race. Temp dropped and it started raining Friday for the drive down. I was being nervous about pulling the enclosed, so my co-driver who is waiting to rebuild his gti ended up driving. He has been a truck driver for years which I didn't know, so he was perfectly suited for the drive. It was honestly kind of nice to just sit and relax for a change. Another pic with the car loaded up. I got very spoiled with the enclosed trailer for the weekend. After seeing a few others that had been a little more "finished", I definitely will be looking for my own next year.

Saw a Pagan in the downpour, and stopped for some good food.

IMG-3707 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-3709 by minthinrich, on Flickr

3 hours later, we got to the track. It wasn't a bad ride at all, so I plan on hitting both events next year. I have to miss the fall bigger track due to my 1 year wedding anniversary picnic covid thing we are doing. Car made it no problem and we set up for the long rainy weekend. I hardly took any pictures, and all the videos we shot ended up being junk since we never thought to check our placements.

IMG-3753 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-3711 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Overall the race was a lot of fun and I got some good seat time. The track was wet for most of the weekend which sucked, and I did go off track and spun a few times. Crazy how slick grass really is. We ran out of brakes very fast so we left early on Sunday to get home.

Race #2 up in Weatherly, PA http://pahillclimb.org/about/the-courses/weatherly/ was this past weekend. I checked over the car after its landscaping runs (2 in total ) and no issues other than some grass stuck underneath. I ordered a set of HAWK HPS pads and threw them on. One front caliper was a real fight but I didn't think too much about it. Well I took the car out to bed them in, and had a constant squeak like something was bent. With the rain all week we were having, I didn't really get a chance to drive the car much to test the brakes.

I procrastinated all day Thursday with getting the car on the trailer, but I did get everything sorted and coolers packed and ready. Monday morning around 7 am I get the trailer hooked up and in position to load the corvette. I need to make some new wood ramp extension but my old ones worked and got the car right up and on. Then I noticed I cant strap it down. Have my wife come out and help me center it, and it was not going to work. (This started the downfall of the morning...) I start getting pissed off cuz it seems my trailer is a complete waste of money now. The BMW fit, but it was still hard unless it was a perfect position. I also could use the frame mounts on that. Corvette has the same ones, but I still wouldn't have been able to actually ratchet the car down. I pulled the car off, and parked the trailer. I decided to pull the car into the garage to check the brakes since I was going to drive it up. I planned to do this at the race since I had all day to sit around once I was there. I found one of the front pads bent which explains the noise I had. Well my already pissed off and annoyed self decided I can bend it slightly straight. Well I cracked the pad almost all of the way through so yep I was done. I canceled my registration and went to work for the day. I looked everywhere local and didnt want to spend $100 on store brand pads that I didn't really want

IMG-3820 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Saturday morning I decided it was time to finally install the passenger belts. Pulled the seat, fabbed up a center anchor point for the lower 6 points of the belt, and got it all installed. I am very happy with the interior now, minus the door panels.

IMG-3830 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-3832 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Last edited by hinrichs; 06-15-2021, 10:00 AM.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Sucks about the brakes and missing the second event but always glad to see progress on the car in general.

Comment

New numbers and business logo. Getting it ready for tech on friday.

c5 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I think it's something about the blue that makes the car look super sleek.

or because blue is my favorite color lol either way, car looks good.

Comment

This is awesome man, and those wheels look great on the car!

Loving the weld in cage, did it fit nicely or did it need some adjustments?

Will be following eagerly from here on out

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                          I think it's something about the blue that makes the car look super sleek.

or because blue is my favorite color lol either way, car looks good.
                          I didnt really like the blue all that much at first, but now I love it. I am still on the fence with the wheel color tho. It was supposed to be more grey than blue.

Originally posted by Royshe View Post
                          This is awesome man, and those wheels look great on the car!

Loving the weld in cage, did it fit nicely or did it need some adjustments?

Will be following eagerly from here on out
                          It actually fit perfectly outside of the windshield spreader bar. I had to massage it a little to get the targa top to fit properly with the small required gap. If I get another C5 or C6 I will be ordering the same cage again.

I have been a little busy the last few days playing with my new toy that my good friend and I went half on. We picked up a used scale setup from another racer locally. I actually bought his SCCA GTI that I posted about before. They are older, but work perfectly.

scales by minthinrich, on Flickr

First up was my friends wifes evo. Its her car, but he is driving it till she has more race time in their Lemons Del-Sol. Spent monday night hanging in the garage and getting it setup. It was a lot of up and down, and trying different things but we got it close to where we wanted.

avril-evo by minthinrich, on Flickr

Yesterday I spent most of the day on the corvette. Originally had it on the wood stands and scales, but it kept moving around and making me nervous. I have plans to address that issue in time. Got the car close to where I wanted with my weight, but still having issues in the rear. Yes a C5 corvette is 3500# with me in it. They are not as light as I once would have thought. I am only like 50# heavier than stock tho, which is a plus with adding the cage.

wood stands by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          scale-1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I had to run into work this morning, so I took a few extra minutes and was going to drive the course since its usually nice and empty in the morning. Well I ended up behind a guy on a nice and slow weed cruise, so I ended up just stopping at the Pagoda for a picture since it was empty. Right before the pagoda is our finish line for this race.

c5-pagoda by minthinrich, on Flickr
                          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I truly enjoy the colors of the scale controller lol

Comment

Nice car!

Comment

Looks business. Getting better and better by every post.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Working...
                                X