Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 Bump Build

Here is yet another project!

In all its 4 wheeled glory, 1970 F100 sport custom bumpside!

Straight out of New Mexico

Me living in Illinois where these trucks all went extinct from rust many moons ago this was quite the find

The interior is all there for the most part, and most everything was recently reupholstered

The headliner makes me itchy just looking at it!(its actually very soft and I like it a lot)

The tank level is so high

It even had one of them noise makers in it still! (Noise was not possible unfortunately at this point)

As happy as I was with this purchase it was obvious the engine was very uncarefully placed into residency

But you never know until you really start tearing into a project to know where your at, and the engine was a very melancholy 302 of unknown condition or origin, so maybe no loss?

Its always a good sign when the battery ground is a red cable and the battery to starter relay is black, I am sure the melted wiring harness was completely unrelated

The drivetrain is all there at least, even has a C4 transmission, the only reason I have any confidence that it must function is that someone had a driveshaft made for it but who knows

Anyways the body of the truck is about as rock solid as you could ask for a 50yr old vehicle, only sweet sweet patina and surface rust (which I am keeping), so far the only thru hole rust I can find is the very forward section of the bed there is small section where water must have sat

That is it for now
    sigpic

looks promising, what might your plans consist of? slammed i hope

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

A new Easyspeed project?
      Consider me subscribed!
      Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by EasySpeed*Inc View Post
        Here is yet another project!

In all its 4 wheeled glory, 1970 F100 sport custom bumpside!

Straight out of New Mexico

Me living in Illinois where these trucks all went extinct from rust many moons ago this was quite the find

The interior is all there for the most part, and most everything was recently reupholstered

The headliner makes me itchy just looking at it!(its actually very soft and I like it a lot)

The tank level is so high

It even had one of them noise makers in it still! (Noise was not possible unfortunately at this point)

As happy as I was with this purchase it was obvious the engine was very uncarefully placed into residency

But you never know until you really start tearing into a geometry dash project to know where your at, and the engine was a very melancholy 302 of unknown condition or origin, so maybe no loss?

Its always a good sign when the battery ground is a red cable and the battery to starter relay is black, I am sure the melted wiring harness was completely unrelated

The drivetrain is all there at least, even has a C4 transmission, the only reason I have any confidence that it must function is that someone had a driveshaft made for it but who knows

Anyways the body of the truck is about as rock solid as you could ask for a 50yr old vehicle, only sweet sweet patina and surface rust (which I am keeping), so far the only thru hole rust I can find is the very forward section of the bed there is small section where water must have sat

That is it for now
        Looks promising!

Comment

Now for a closer inspection

Onto the lift!

Someone tried to get this together but lots of hack jobs

The usual leaks everywhere, and what looks to be 50years of road grime build up

Just a little dry, and this is the good side

The only reason I say the other side is the good side is because this bush is just missing

Look, copious amounts of grime! I actually like that all this is still here, its preserved the chassis extremely well

They tried

Before attempting to fixing anything else I tackled the elephant in the room, the rear wheel bearings

Basically fell out

This axle is what Ford refers to as a "small bearing, 28 spline, 9in"

This is supposed to be a bearing, notice the lack of the bearing part

Looking real minty

Chop chop

Press new bearing bois onto the axle

Slap that beast back home

And just like that, you got yourself an axle, a working one

Pretty easy job, only hard part is sourcing the correct bearings! so many variations of this axle, but once you have the parts no sweat
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimspinell View Post
            Looks promising!
            Thanks!

Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
            A new Easyspeed project?
            Consider me subscribed!
            Thanks for the sub!

Originally posted by scweet14 View Post
            looks promising, what might your plans consist of? slammed i hope
            We will see, for right now its just going to be a simple rebuild and enjoy for what it is. These old trucks I really like just stock, good wheel/tire choice (steel wheels of course) and just cruise them
            sigpic

Comment

Can not wait to see more of this.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

50 year old bushings had a good run, but I think they threw the towel in awhile ago (this is the good side)

Bad side

Just needs some chap stick

You get older you get shorter, and wrinkly, life is not fair

Porta-Powers are amazingly versatile tools

Cut out the O.G. rivets holding the LCR bushing, this gives the accessibility to change this bushing in the future with minimal effort

And peep the 50 years worth of grim build up(1/4"-3/8" thiccc), I had to literally chisel this stuff off, hard as a rock too

So that's what its supposed to look like

Also new brake lines!

Fin
                sigpic

Comment

Damn, that thing looks really solid. Looks like a great base for a project.
                  Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Excited to see how you put your spin on this platform. Really nice truck

Comment

A light once over on the interior/ find whats missing

Also need to see if I actually have everything to put this interior back

Seat was recovered, but looks to of been done a long time ago

Other than some dirt and grime its surprisingly clean

Going to soak everything and pressure wash later

Pulled the tank out for inspection and a quick clean/paint

So far the worst spot of the cab, nothing crunchy or thru. It looks worse than it actually is

The tank did have some gas in it. Appears to have turned into turpentine, if only pictures could convey smells

Pressure washer made quick work of the grime

The tank was remarkably clean, just needed to be rinsed out a few times, now painted and put back into the cab

Discovered a missing gas tank vent adapter, just need to copy this one

Pretty simple part, just going to make a new one on the lathe

Done

Also did a run down on what I am missing for the interior and there are few missing pieces of course

That is it for now!
                      sigpic

Comment

So subscribed.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Working...
                        X