No announcement yet.

Safety Toad: Porsche 997 Carrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant wait to see it with the lip installed. I hope you get that spoiler too, I know id want the same if I had the car.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Yes, yes and moar fucking yes! :fire-emoji:
      IG: @sebastienaudeon
      1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
      *pats Sebs head*
      there there.
      keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Yes on that wing and yes on that lip!

Comment

These wheels + this color, so good.

Comment

Okay, update time. Don't you die on me Stanceworks!!! A lot of this is sort of cross posted from Rennlist, I wanted to make a post there because no one will ever admit to trying out different ways of doing things and I wanted to see if I could make it a little easier lol.

So in the last post I talked about plans for aero a little bit. I went with a GT3/aerokit rep decklid because I was 13 when these cars came out and I thought they looked cool at the time. For a front lip, I looked at doing the aerokit front bumper, but frankly they hang too low IMO and I would absolutely destroy one because of how low my car is. I know this is a cliche, but my driveway is truly awful. Anyway, I looked into the Better Bodies Motorsport/GT3tek front lip because they looked cool paint matched and they added a little aggressiveness to the front bumper while being MUCH cheaper and probably less likely to get destroyed.

For the decklid I bought a fiberglass replica GT3 decklid from CarID on ebay, I think it was like $700 shipped. Had my buddy paint match both the lip and decklid and installed them myself. Still have to tweak fitment a little bit.

Would I do it again?

- Decklid: Yes, but it didn't fit perfectly and required some modifications to get the intake to work. Then again, a GT3 decklid is like $3,000 and I paid $700 shipped for this thing. I suck as a Porsche owner. I'm too cheap.
            - Lip: Absolutely 12/10 yes. I love how it looks. I would scrape on a leaf if I had an aero bumper. Also this option was much much cheaper.

Here the parts are after getting painted.

Removing the old decklid. This is really not hard to do yourself. Reminder that you want to test fitment BEFORE you get the parts painted.

One thing to note with the 997 is that if you have a stock intake, the stock fan will not clear and you won't be able to close the lid. The fan mounts with a few bolts, on my replica not all of the holes lined up (shocker!) Anyway, was able to get it mounted pretty easily. I ended up going with an Evolution Motorsports intake -- because of its design, you can close the decklid with the fan installed. I drove the car around with no fan for a couple weeks before the intake arrived and just tried not to beat on it too much. Yes, there is a hole in the intake tube from the previous owner which I've since plugged lol. this was just a test fit.

No pics of lip installation but it was really easy. Better Bodies Motorsport provides adhesive promoter, double sided tape, and all the self tapping screws you need to mount the lip to the back corner of the front bumper and the undertray. Just line the lip up with the natural lines in the front bumper.

And here's the end result! if you look closely you will see that the rear decklid needs a couple tweaks but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Okay, here's the real reason why I went for the big wing. Beer shelf.

These next couple pics are from Alpine Volks Fair in Helen GA. I was able to have my roommate bring the 911 up and I drove my S6 Avant. What a great weekend. My buddy was able to get a couple panning shots and I got spotted rolling down the strip!

Bonus pic: My driveway sucks.

Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

very nice with the spoiler and front lip!

Comment

Looks like you lowered it a bit more, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dye4 View Post
                  Looks like you lowered it a bit more, so good.
                  Well this is only 6 months later, but correct! I ended up finding a good deal on a set of BCs. Also recently installed some adjustable rear toe arms so I don't absolutely destroy tires. Did I get Megan toe arms because they're the exact same color as the car? MAYBE.

[img][/img]

The stock triangle steering wheel was awful. A lot of owners will do a 991.2 or Macan steering wheel upgrade, but those are most commonly found in black and beige; finding a blue one is almost impossible and even if I did you'd be looking at $2000ish. How about a Momo Mod07 instead? Pardon the filthy interior in this shot!

Here is a random shot from replacing coils and plugs, which is kind of annoying on a 911 because everything has to be accessed from underneath. I was very fortunate that my mufflers are removed and bypassed, because half the labor involves removing the mufflers so you can access everything else. Also that's an Audi 01E trans, totally unrelated to the 911 hahaha.

And then I took the objectively good looking reasonable wheels off and put JDM chrome jawns on because I'm dumb and thought it would be fun: Chrome Work VS-KF in original 5x130. They made very very few of these and the only evidence I can find of them ever being mounted to a car is a forum post of a 996 turbo from 2009. Naturally they were rare for a reason (nobody wanted them), so naturally I bought them. In my signature that I never updated you see my old Mazda on Weds Rapiers, so at least ugly chrome wheels are on brand for me.

They were originally 19x8.5 et56 or something stupid in the front and 19x11 et45 in the rear, widebody offset. I intended to put 3" front lips on but VR accidentally sent me 3.5" and I decided to just see if I could make it work. It barely works but it works. 10" fronts are a little unusual on a 911.

I had a local shop split the weld on the fronts and decided I would wait on the rears -- if anything, I could maybe run another half inch of lip which didn't seem worth it from a ROI perspective. Turns out after playing with spacers I can just about run a 20mm spacer, so I think in the future I might be able to get away with an inch more lip and slightly more stretch. For now though, I run 19x11 et25 after spacer with the stock rear 4" lips. I don't have a ton of pics of the process but here are some random shots of the car these days. Feedback from local Porsche guys at meets has been pretty amusing recently.

Leaving the driveway....

Pics from a trip to the Outer Banks with the gf and some car friends.

Pics from the Tail of the Dragon, which I did on stock wheels and was a TON of fun.

And here are some random fall shots!
                  Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Awesome bud!

Comment

Loving the car, been following along with the progress on IG. It's amusing how it pisses of the purists while still being a really clean car haha.

A set of sideskirts would be the icing on the cake I think, to match the lines of the front lip

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                      X