E34
    525 TDS
    '95
    Manual ZF gearbox
    Grey interior
    4 electric windows
    Electric mirrors
    Electric sunroof

You will ask why someone would buy old bmw diesel ? I love old diesel sound. I been looking this car for about 2 years. These cars are very rare in UK and especialy rare for cheap money. This one I got for less than 1000£. I wanted manual diesel and after 2 years of lazy looking I found one in Lester. I just grabbed my money went there and bought it, I even didnt check as I knewed I will take it anyway, cos there is no other options and choices. I think that was my happiest day in long time. That 6 cyl diesel sound and little turbo sound made my day and left big smile on my face for at least a month. Im still smiling every time I drive it but not that much like in first days.

Since I was young I always watched photos videos and I knewed back there that if I will have one of legends e30, e34 or e32 it will have Hella Black headlights straight away and nice wheels. So lights and wheels were on to do list as number 1.

First photos. Not the best angles, I was too excited.

Car was full stock, on stock 15" wheels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jrs85; 09-20-2020, 06:04 AM.

Car was finally home and could make some more photos.

That ugly spoiler was pissing me off couple days till I throwed it away into neighbours garden.

After car purchase next day I found on ebay some great looking 17" Racing Dynamics RGQ wheels.

And spoiler was gone.

Comment

Then was time for lights. Started to look like a car.

Comment

And as I wrote earlier that my dream since childhood was black headlights. Also car has factory shadowline but grill was chrome, not good. All dreams came true and together with new plate car transformed into totally another car.

Comment

In autumn 2018 I drove from UK to Latvia by car around 1700 miles and stayed there all winter. Car wasnt driven all winter and stayed in garage till spring.

In spring 2019 car was woken up from winter sleep and I decided to go for US look. US side markers, US moldings and US number plate holder was purchased.

At first was done front side.

After that rear end was done too.

Also cruise control was installed to make trip back to UK more comfy.

Last edited by Jrs85; 09-27-2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

In meantime came wheel changing time and I decided to sell RD wheels and go back to stock wheels.

Also changed front indicators to orange ones and rear smoked lights were changed to stock ones.

Comment

After couple of days on 15" BBS I found them very small on 5 series, even if they are factory fitted. They look ugly to be honest. So I sold them to chap who is restoring e24 and for myself I bought same wheelS but 16" from e38 with bit wider lips and overall better looking mesh. 8J all round and ET23. Tyres were changed to lower profile. From 65 to 60 or 55, cant remember.

Looks so much better now.

And after that I bought another wheels again, but havent installed them yet. Proper BMW wheels. If wheels for BMW then only BBS, all rest is crap. So now I got two piece 18" BBS style 42. Staggered set with 8J on front and 9J on rear.

Last edited by Jrs85; 09-20-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

One love

Comment

Great, proper looking bimmer!
                  Not so sure about the last wheel choice..
                  16' makes the car look original, and I would keep themthat way untill you'll buy some proper 3 piece ones.

Are you plannig any engine/turbo mods?

Anyway, nice project, subscribed��

Comment

It seems an E34 is a common desirable car for Baltics living in the UK. Nice start!
                    Gruz

Comment

Originally posted by gruz View Post
                      It seems an E34 is a common desirable car for Baltics living in the UK. Nice start!
                      Its not a first car and not a main car in family by the way. But thanks.

Is it some kind of stereotype ? I think everyone loves BMW not only eastern europeans. Some people walk a long way in life to realise what they want, they drive lots of different cars and then suddenly one day they realise "I want old project car to build as "sunday" car.
                      Last edited by Jrs85; 09-21-2020, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adacam View Post
                        Great, proper looking bimmer!
                        Not so sure about the last wheel choice..
                        16' makes the car look original, and I would keep themthat way untill you'll buy some proper 3 piece ones.

Are you plannig any engine/turbo mods?

Anyway, nice project, subscribed��
                        Thanks !

Done already some, will post later.
                        Last edited by Jrs85; 09-25-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

And now car looks like in photos attached. Nothing new actually. Still running 16" style 5. I quite like them and car feels so comfortable on any type of road. 18" BBS's needs refurbish and also suspension needs some lows. Without lowering car will look like horse drawn carriage on so big wheels and stock suspension. At the moment Im not ready for that.

At the beginning of the summer I installed smoked style back.

Also did some power gaining upgrades, but thats in next post.

Comment

Now about power.

In stock m51 with intercooler also known as tds for bmw gives around 143 zebras. To be honest car is sluggish and not very responsive on throttle.

One of first mods was egr block. I left all pipes just in case I get in trouble with law or law forces. Joke. Car is too old for exhaust gas check. So EGR was blocked with 2 pence coin just where return pipe for gases connects egr itself. I didnt notice any improvements. Maybe engine sound changed a bit. Not sure. I have plan to remove that return pipe later in future.

Last year I deleted rear silencer to get some better sound, but sound didnt change alot. This year i went with home made straight exhaust and now its loud enough. But its not that loud like straight exhausted petrol engine like m52 or m54. Sound on diesel is absorbt by turbo and smoke so its lovely loud and doesnt sound like 4 cyl tractorish vw, škoda, audi.

After that i ordered custom fuel map chip. Old diesels doesnt need professional dyno stands and remaps to get best performance from them. You just change amount of fuel a bit and it goes like a train. So I changed that chip and car now drives much much better. Accelaration is way better now and loads of smoke of course behind. Guy who made a chip for me said its is standart file on chip and it gives around 50nm and 30hp. Have you ever got that numbers for 30£ ? I dont think so.

Plans for future are bigger IC and maybe I will play with wastegate.

I will post video but If some ha*ers from greenpeas (yeah peas not peace) wanna say samething I will tell you something before. You can s*** my c*** and jump in your Tesla or Prius with Greta and drive off of cliffs.

Last edited by Jrs85; 09-23-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

One of latest upgrades is exhaust tip.

I really dont like how looks single pipe exhaust on diesel. Sounds good but looks shit.
                              BMW E34 must look agressive from any angle and any aspect.
                              E34's nature is to be agressor on road any time any day, doesnt matter is it 540i, 518i or 525tds.
                              I dont wanted to make any custom shotgun style exhaust now, but i will do later in future, so i bought THE BEST LOOKING EXHAUST TIP FOR OLDSCHOOL BMW.
                              Result in photos.

Dont complain that car is bit dusty, its not washed couple months, love UK for that.
                              Last edited by Jrs85; 09-25-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X