No announcement yet.

Dlux BMW E23 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to keep the stock steering wheel but once I started seeing all the wood work and aluminum, I had to change it out. I found the perfect wheel. I didnt spend much time finding an adapter as I didnt think it existed so I set out to make my own.

The hardest part to make is the spline for the column. Knowing this, I took a stock steering wheel, cut it up and used the splines out of it.

I cut off all the unnecessary parts

Made the adapter...

Bolting the adapter to the stock spline support.

That lead me to this.... this is how its looking assembled. Now to make a cover to make it look like 1 pc...

Here are some shots of the final install. I am loving the look of this wheel!

The last thing I got done was a mount for my air management. Just need to install the front and rear euro bumpers, button up some other things and this is on the road!

Comment

Now that steering wheel completes the interior really nicely. Great job on the whole car! Can't wait to see pictures of it in the sun and aired out.
      "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
      Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Love all the custom fab work, really enjoying this thread
        My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

One of the final pieces for now are the Euro bumpers. It seems as though no built classic BMW can go without them. I actually dont mind the US bumpers too much but the Euro bumpers sure to make a huge difference on the E23.

Looks are the most important part of the US to Euro bumper switch but I also found that you lose a significant amount of weight by switching also.

US front bumper 51lb
          Euro front bumper with US bracing - no data yet
          Euro front bumper - no data yet

US rear bumper 53lb
          Euro rear bumper with US bracing - 49.2lb
          Euro rear bumper - 25.4lb

I dont have the data yet on the front bumper because I am still waiting for a good front rubber trim piece to complete my front bumper. I will update it when I weigh it all. Its significantly lighter though. I suspect it will come in about 25lb like the rear did. If so, thats about 50lb off the whole car from the switch.

Front US complete

Front Euro - US bracing..... minus the 23lb of the rear Euro bracing, the scale would not measure the front by itself. So, approx 9lb for bracing.

Rear US complete

Rear Euro - US bracing

Rear Euro complete

I did a semi restoration of the front and rear Euro bumpers by cleaning them up, adding new hardware and trying to bang out some of the dents. They came out really nice with the exception of the rear accordion rubber bits, they could use some help but at $260 ea, I will hold off and wait to find some others. They just are not that bad.

I need to button up a couple things mechanically and this should be outside and I can get some pics and drive!

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
            Now that steering wheel completes the interior really nicely. Great job on the whole car! Can't wait to see pictures of it in the sun and aired out.
            Originally posted by Steven_318ti View Post
            Love all the custom fab work, really enjoying this thread
            Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Comment

After rebuilding the front end, fixing a bunch of minor issues and installing the bumpers, I got this thing pulled out of the shop and driving!

This car is so fun to drive! I love it!

IMO, this is one of the sexist cars ever made. This car is all about looks to me. The comfort and interior touches are just a huge plus.

I just need to fix a leak in my air bag and put on the front bumper rubber strips when I get them and phase 1 will be done. (Phase 2 would just be motor/trans swap)

I hope the motor stays together long enough for me to enjoy it before I can find the time to swap everything. I will need some time as I shoudnt even have done this project with as much as I have going on.

Here are a couple of shots of the exterior. I will take some more along with some interior shots ASAP.

Comment

Man, this is gorgeous. I think the valance (BBS?) really completes the looks. Sorry if missed it, but have you disclosed the drivetrain swap plans yet?

Comment

Man, this is gorgeous. I think the valance (BBS?) really completes the looks. Sorry if missed it, but have you disclosed the drivetrain swap plans yet?
                  Thanks buddy!

Eventually I am thinking of LS swapping. Higher HP, maybe 700ish?

Comment

That would be sweet, would love to watch you swap an LS into this car. Personally, I think it's the best swap for the money, so jelly we don't have a ton of LM7s in our junkyards like in the US...

Comment

last shot is my favorite. car is looking so good dude, though i'm not digging the colored lights. Great work on the interior too!

Comment

That would be sweet, would love to watch you swap an LS into this car. Personally, I think it's the best swap for the money, so jelly we don't have a ton of LM7s in our junkyards like in the US...
                        Yeah, the LS swap is super cliche but for a reason. It just makes sense....

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                        last shot is my favorite. car is looking so good dude, though i'm not digging the colored lights. Great work on the interior too!
                        Thanks man!

The lights are not actually colored. They are clear. Its the Xenon bulbs that reflect off the housings at specific angles that make them look blue.

Comment

Working out some of the small bugs on this car but this thing is so, so fun to drive! I am loving it!

One thing I dont get is how people drive these cars if you have even a normal sized foot. I know my foot is big but it cant be that great for regular sized shoes even? I had to bend the brake pedal out of the way so my foot would fit.

Before:

After:

Bent pedal, just like the E21...

And as promised... pictures of the interior, which I am loving...

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for bagged E23, looks really good now! BBS RT's are not my favorite ones but in your case it fits perfect !
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

I personally like the Style 19 wheels on the E23. I think they are one of the best looking wheels for that car. I get that a lot dont like them though... They are not the final wheel that will be on here. I am going to make TRX wheels work, I just need more time so these are a temp wheel that I am very happy with.

Comment

I have been driving this car for a couple weeks now and I am more than enjoying it. Its such a fun car and super comfortable.

I have had issues come up that I have had to deal with. I suppose its just working the bugs out... I hope that it all ends, I dont like having to deal with maintenance on a regular basis. I am giving this car a break because it looks to have been neglected.

Replaced every single vacuum hose
                                Replaced upper and lower radiator hoses
                                Replaced both coolant sensors
                                Replaced Air Flow meter (that was fun to troubleshoot)
                                Replaced spark plugs
                                Replaced turn signal switch
                                Replaced HVAC switches (not as bad as I thought..)
                                Replaced many relays/switches
                                Air bag was leaking so I had to replace a O ring.
                                Still need to replace the power steering pump..

So, lots of maintenance. Hopefully its over.

I did figure out that you can use a post face lift turn signal stalk on a pre face lift car. Mine was worn. The brights were hard to turn on, you had to find the perfect spot to push them forward. The left hand turn signal would not turn off after turning.

All I did on the post face lift turn signal stalk was cut the connectors off and solder on the similar colored wires. Everything worked out great except the momentary brights when you pull back towards yourself. Since the brights work, I am assuming its the actual switch thats not working? If anybody has a clue, I would like to hear. I couldn't find a schematic online. Momentary brights are not a big enough deal to me to worry about. It made me curious to why you even need them. I guess to signal someone, I never really use them myself though and figure if I had to, I could just turn the lights on if I am that desperate?

Early connector on top, late on bottom. Side note I think early had many different types of connectors also.

Attached similar colors and all worked out good. There is an extra power that I didnt use along with two inputs. Not sure what they were used for on the early cars. You can see them in the bottom of the picture.

I fixed the air bag O ring and while I was there, I wanted to try out the non adjustable camber plates I had made. As suspected, they dropped the car about another inch. My adjustment was pretty good also as I am around 3* camber in the front. Since this car is more about the look than performance, I actually left them since I like them so much. Its simple, lower and functional. When I sell them, its going to be a lot cheaper also.

Top plate

With the top plate making the car lower, I am now barely on the ground with my control arms and it also brought the ride height down in the back so my muffler is on the ground. I think what I am running now is close to perfect for me.

I am seriously trying to work on pictures of the car. Life has been overwhelming to say the least. I also got my front bumper situated with the new rubber trim so I am really close to where I want to be with this car at the present moment. Just two more small fixes and I think I will be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X