What could go wrong? B3 Passat Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could go wrong? B3 Passat Variant

Okay, so hey everyone again. It me. I sold this.

basically I recently sold my S5 daily in February because I had a company car for work and felt stupid making payments on a car I didn't drive. Honestly, it was objectively an amazing car but I never really fell in love with it and paid more attention to my S6 Avant. A couple weeks ago, I was browsing FB marketplace as I do millions of times a day and came across this car. It was owned by an acquaintance of mine I know through the local Audi group so I hit him up and went to look at it. Lowballed the shit out of him after the test drive and whoops, I guess I own a Passat now.

Here are some general details. It's obviously a bought not built situation for me, but I have some changes in mind and just wanted something fun to "play with" so I don't do really stupid things to my S6. I kinda miss the car show scene. I think the swap was done sometime in 2014 and the air ride, paint etc were in 2015. It has had several different owners since then so I was able to pick it up cheap as a distressed asset with bad history.

- 1991 VW Passat GL wagon, swapped to a G60 powertrain from a Corrado and manual transmission.
    - Stage 2 tuning
    - Cammed
    - FMIC
    - Reiger front end
    - Porcelain blue (painted a MK3 color)
    - Airlift v2
    - Brotiforms

OK, here are some pics of the day I picked it up.

Interior is stock with the exception of the Italvolanti steering wheel. Can you believe it has cold a/c???

Got the car home and it wouldn't air up after I aired it out in my garage. Oh look, the compressor relay is wet. Perfect. If anyone is wondering an AR272 from NAPA works as a compressor relay!

If I fits, I sits.

The front end of the car is pretty wacky 1990s steeze. It's a Reiger front bumper which is super rare and then some sort of custom grille. I found a bunch of receipts from shops trying to get the car to stop overheating in the glove box, so it looks like they decided to cut holes in the OEM nose panel and put mesh on. Hey, if it works it works.

Had to get rid of the Euro plate and clean the front up a little bit. RACEWAGN is kind of a dumb plate considering it makes MAYBE 210hp even with everything done to the G60 swap.

I've been driving the car to work for the last week or so and just basically getting used to it and making friends with having a bagged car again. The mazda in my sig was the last time I had a bagged car and I put something like 100k miles on it with the bags!! Anyway, the B3 drives kinda like a dump truck but it's pretty funny buzzing around town in a straight piped, high strung 4cyl station wagon. Here are a couple pics I took today. Oh, I also made some shims to raise up the air tank because it was putting pressure on a PTC fitting and making all the air leak out of the tank overnight but no pics of that.

Plans for the car:
    - Revise trunk setup
    - Smaller wheels (this car is crying out for 15s or 16s and I want something period correct)
    - MK3 GTI front seats or similar (they bolt directly in and these are worn out)
    - Seidl Tuning grille or maybe OEM if I can get the car to run cooler
    - Drive and enjoy

Okay enough rambling, here are some pics. Pollen season in GA is here and it's insane so this is about the best I could do.

Last edited by rightfullrudder; 03-29-2020, 10:19 PM.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

nice buy, love the blue crying for something more oem on the grille though!
    Gruz

Comment

Despite Old School radio inspired grille, the wagon looks amazing, even the wheels kinda fit

W201 LOW STATIC DAILY

Comment

You know already how much I love this one. I cant wait to see what you do to it. I wonder if it was ever white in its life.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Love it man! Can't wait to see what you do!

Some C4 Corvette salad shooters would look awesome on there

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
          "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
          SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

I love wagons and I love this.

Comment

Love it but that bumper, as rare as it may be, is a total eyesore LOL
              Also maybe an oem grille with holes shaped more like the outline of the headlights, or a single big opening with the logo attached directly to the mesh would work a little better than two random ovals?

Color is awesome btw, what kind of wheels are you looking for?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                You know already how much I love this one. I cant wait to see what you do to it. I wonder if it was ever white in its life.
                Thanks man, looks like the car was a beige/gray color originally. It's a decent paint job but the bay is still the OEM color. Rad support is painted though.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                Love it but that bumper, as rare as it may be, is a total eyesore LOL
                Also maybe an oem grille with holes shaped more like the outline of the headlights, or a single big opening with the logo attached directly to the mesh would work a little better than two random ovals?
                Color is awesome btw, what kind of wheels are you looking for?
                I was actually thinking of doing a single big opening with no logo, or picking up one of these (if you can even still find one):

As for wheels, thinking something 15-16" and kinda funky. I could also do some tiny Futura to match the S6 Avant, but here is some inspo:

And I found a pic of the car in 2015 on an old set of wheels!!

Comment

The OEM smooth hood is so distinctive, it's such a shame to cut those holes in it.

Comment

Small vintage wheels with meaty tires would look rad
                    E34 build thread link
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                    e_dirty_4

Comment

I.am.in.love.

Searching for a b3 for weeks now, still haven't found one that i want.
                      Facebook Sander Zuurbier
                      Instagram sanderz28

Twingo RS

Comment

. The option of avocado, a singed egg, https://www.globalsubwaylistensx.com and smoky mayonnaise add enough haul to an open-colored BLT sandwich to make it supper commendable passage.

Comment

Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
                          Small vintage wheels with meaty tires would look rad
                          That's exactly what I'm going for, 5x100 is a weird pattern to find stuff in that's small and aggressive so will probably have to do 114/112 with adapters.

Originally posted by Asshole Bicycle View Post
                          The OEM smooth hood is so distinctive, it's such a shame to cut those holes in it.
                          It is, but like I said the car overheated with the smooth hood and the G60 engine so they had to do the holes. I'll be replacing it with something else.

I got really bored and took a shot of my two wagons together, plus used the romper I bought on amazon. Don't worry, my shoes were clean and I stood on the seam between the hood and fenders.

Comment

B3 Passat are always cool, but that front end is a crime for the eyes...
                            Anyway I love the idea of the smaller wheels, 16 are the right size for me

Here some inspo for you:

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                              B3 Passat are always cool, but that front end is a crime for the eyes...
                              Anyway I love the idea of the smaller wheels, 16 are the right size for me

Here some inspo for you:
                              Thanks for the inspo man, is that yours or just a random car from flickr? Really love the Borbets on it.

Did a thing today, had a buddy cut up some Passat decals for the rear quarter panels with a rad 90s theme. I think they'll go well with the color scheme and I'm honestly really stoked! I'll post pics as soon as I install them.

Comment

Working...
                              X