No announcement yet.

1.6 16v Bora on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine waking up with the intention of having a productive day off. You take your old sub and wiring out, making good time, go to start your car and- nothing. That's exactly the position I was in on Wednesday.

A quick call to the RAC later, a bloke came armed with a multimeter and some other things, bridged a few fuses and I was good to go! He thinks its the fuel pump relay, so I've ordered one on eBay which should be coming this week.

rac

As well as getting some new-to-me wheels for the return of stance bora, a cheap set of MK4 early GTi (I think) alloys came up not too far from home. Decent tread left, so how could I say no! Looks like it belongs in the eastern corners of Europe with those winter tyres haha

winters

wheels

My new found love for the daily wheels didn't last very long though. A couple mornings of coming out to a flat tyre had me changing it for a spare yesterday, so a new-to-me tyre is needed regardless how long I'll be running them for.

dav sdr

As I mentioned, I was taking the old sub out to make space for a bigger sub that a close friend donated to me- I spent a whole afternoon doing the wiring properly, using a proper Stinger wiring kit and even tidying up my boot! Can confirm 12" is much more noticeable than a little 8".

sub

But that wraps it up for this little update. With Christmas a month away, I'm afraid progress will be slightly halted, but PCD adaptors and some spigot rings are a priority to get the wheels fitted up.
    Thanks for reading!
    Gruz

Comment

Quick update, even though at this point I'm keeping a personal diary haha

Fuel relay came in some very questionable packaging

relay

Picked up some 20mm adaptors rather cheap off Facebook, only a 45 min drive away

adaptors

And married up the tyres to the wheels! I'm happy with the stretch on it, should clear, be somewhat comfy and look good!

tyres size

Thanks for reading!

cold
      Gruz

Comment

Nice little daily!
        IG: @sebastienaudeon
        1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
        *pats Sebs head*
        there there.
        keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
          Nice little daily!
          Thanks!

Update - still looks shit, and will do up until hopefully next weekend. Final piece to the stance puzzle as well as service parts being ordered tomorrow. That is all.

update
          Gruz

Comment

Happy new year, and happy new lockdown to the UK lot!

So I've been waiting over the last month or two for my new insurance policy to start so I could finally get cracking for real on the Bora, and a hefty deposit sum later, and a couple more weeks of waiting on parts, me and a mate got cracking!

First, the wheels - Mercedes Benz 5 spokes, don't think they have a name of sorts, but I know they come off a CL class. 18x8.5J, 5x112 and I cannot remember the ET (might be 43). Sourced some used 20mm adaptors for cheap, and upcycled the 205/40s off the 9 spokes.

adaptor wheel

Secondly, the springs. I had my eye set on buying a set from BC Racing, but their waiting times are rather long, but fortunately, a fellow Bora owner was selling his as he's getting air ride. Cheaper, only a few months old and will come 3 weeks quicker? Result. 5" 24k fronts, and 20k 7" rears.

springs

I also had a Dausfab LCA extender kit to go on along with new track rods and ends, but unfortunately didn't get round to it because I wanted to get it aligned after doing that, and I'm still not settled on height etc.

Cabin filter, V-belt, and oil (not oil filter unfortunately, I broke the 6 point head on it) got changed too, getting the full service treatment for once!

cabin

Put all of that together and you get this! Ignore the fitment, the rears need some camber/archwork to fit the tyre under the arch.

finished front

But messing around with trimming wheel bolts, uncommon wheel choices and wheel adaptors also gets you this!

broken

Found out the handbrake was sticking, so I replaced the cable the morning after which fixed that problem.

cable morning-after

Turns out I didn't trim the wheel bolts enough, which was causing many noises and wobbles. But because this is a daily, I decided I cannot be arsed this week, and chucked the standard wheels on for the time being.

bolt

today

Back to square one I guess :/
            Gruz

Comment

Update!

Just a quick one really, not much has changed. Still runs, few electrical issues, few mechanical noises, got the rear axle bushes changed, got a private plate. Sold the Mercedes wheels because I couldn't be bothered to run them, and I swapped the 9 spokes for these! Think I prefer them to the fat fives!

DSC06816-2048x1365

Doesn't look its best there, as good as @mehowski is at taking snaps, I didn't clean it properly and there's random bits of grass hanging on for dear life.

Oh yeah, and I got a new 4mo lip for it!

DSC06813-scaled

Thanks to @candyshowroom for the pics for this update!
              Gruz

Comment

Love me a good looking Bora. Makes me want to get a mk4 again, you and Minty...
                IG: @sebastienaudeon
                1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                *pats Sebs head*
                there there.
                keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Working...
                X