Style 19 refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style 19 refresh

Just thought I'd post a little thread about some tired old BBS Style 19s I picked up for my bagged E36. I'm hoping to get to work refinishing them soon, so here's a couple before shots. I'll post again to show the progress when I get started!

Last edited by jonaskvale77; 02-18-2020, 10:42 AM.

This weekend I removed weights and valve stems, all the 12 pt. nuts, and knocked the faces out using a block of wood and a hammer. Then I hammered out all 136 of the studs, and started to remove all the tar and rubber marks. After all this, I went ahead and scuffed the wheels, and will soon begin stripping the clear coat off.

Last edited by jonaskvale77; 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Well when I went to strip the clear coat from the lips, there was none... someone must have stripped it awhile ago. Anyway, went ahead and sanded the barrels down and got them ready for paint. After that, I started wet sanding one of the lips to remove rash and get ready for polishing, and to see how much effort I would need to put in. I need to put in some more effort to get out the machine marks, but all in all it wasn't bad for my first try. I'll go perfect my method and post again... in the mean time enjoy these update pictures.

The picture below shows the machine marks in some detail:

Comment

I haven't had much more time to work on these as of late, so I don't have a whole lot of updates. I wet sanded all the lips and polished them, but I didn't like the shine so I wet sanded and polished again. Still not perfect, there is some haze and not a perfect reflection, but they're as good as I think I'll get them for now. I may do some more touching up after the wheels are reassembled. I also began wire brushing all the bolts to remove corrosion and old loctite. Soon I will prep the faces and caps for paint, and lay down primer.

Last edited by jonaskvale77; 03-17-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

The lips look practically brand new imo. I wish my e36 lasted long enough for me to buy a set of these lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gunders View Post
            The lips look practically brand new imo. I wish my e36 lasted long enough for me to buy a set of these lol
            Thank you!

Originally posted by Amy
            Wow..It's great..May I know if you used any chemical product to remove corrosion?
            No, I did not, just a bench grinder with wire brush for the bolts, and sandpaper for the barrels.

I have decided against painting these myself, because I want a decent finish and I'm not great with spray cans. Unfortunately, all the paint and powder coat shops around me are closed as Washington State is in a 'Stay at home' status, so it will likely be awhile before I can get anything more done on these.

Comment

Finally! An update!
              I dropped the barrels and faces off for powdercoat, and they took about 6 weeks to get done. Yep :/ six weeks, and what's worse, they didn't come out as quite as good as I would have liked (there are some contaminants and microfiber rag marks baked into the clear coat on the insides of some of the barrels). Nevertheless, the faces looked pretty good, which is pretty much all you see! So, I set about to putting them back together. I also sanded, primed, wetsanded, and used a color matched spray paint on the center caps, and then topped them off with a glossy clearcoat. They came out pretty good, although the combination of plastic instead of metal, and spray paint instead powdercoat causes them to have a darker finish in certain lights. But the pearl matches spot on. Here are some pictures! Compare them to the first set I uploaded, I tried to take them from the same angles to show the difference. I'll try to take some more pictures soon, especially once they are on my E36.

Comment

I combined the above pictures with the first pictures I posted to show the dramatic difference below:

Comment

Thats a dope transformation!

Comment

Working...
                  X