No announcement yet.

1994 called, they want your mk3 back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So took a little while of trying every adjustment I could think of for reverse...seemed like it was never going to work. Finally figured out that by hand it works, but the shifter just wouldnt make it happen. Adjusted the part that most people say you dont need to touch, and bam it went right into reverse. Basically the shifter itself wasnt pushing down far enough, so it couldnt engage reverse. Thankfully it was an easy fix. It was late friday night and windy as hell so I didnt try and drive the car at all.

Saturday morning I got up after the fiance left for work early. Checked over everything once again and backed out of the garage for the first time. Fun how it looks exactly the same lol.

IMG-0332 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Went well, so I decided to take it down the road and to the local park.

IMG-0333 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    IMG-0334 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Heat wasnt working so I went back home. Ended up pulling the blower fan and swapping in my old one which was a pain but now it at least blows. I however get no air out so I think the blend door has no foam. So glad I didnt fix or look at that before I put the heater core in for the last time. I will dig into that this week.

Was browsing facebook marketplace like usual, found some 15" widened corrado steelies and went to look at them. They were perfect with new powder coat, but had 165/50 tires which are just too small for the mk3. Guy then offered another set of corrado steelies but this time in 16". They should fit perfect, they just need some paint or powder. I will prolly paint them for now so I can try out a few colors till I make a final decision. I know steel wheels are kinda lame, but I feel like they will fit the look of this car the best. Plus I can run hub caps which is fun.

151B618B-115E-4CD6-84D9-D0624A50088D by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Wow, great job with the rhd swap, this thing is too rad! Keep it up!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

well would you look at that

Comment

I really like the steelies for this, it brings me back to when the "scene" was less hype and funnier times

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

I don't check the forums in a couple months and you've bought this and done everything to it? Damn man! Love the progress and I love the fun vibe the car has - including the stickers. I miss having a ton of stickers lol.
            Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
              well would you look at that

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
              I really like the steelies for this, it brings me back to when the "scene" was less hype and funnier times
              I guess this really is a throwback build in a way. I just couldnt think of anything that would match the look of this car any better. I do have a set of wheels that I have always wanted that I am going to save up for, still very period correct.

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
              Wow, great job with the rhd swap, this thing is too rad! Keep it up!
              Thanks, it was a lot of work and still is but its fun to drive.

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
              I don't check the forums in a couple months and you've bought this and done everything to it? Damn man! Love the progress and I love the fun vibe the car has - including the stickers. I miss having a ton of stickers lol.
              I have been keeping myself kinda busy with this one. Started as a super budged build to hold me over on the m3....yeah that snowballed fast haha. Haivng a vinyl cutter sure makes life easy, if you want anything lemme know.

So I just had to throw the wheels on last night. Mainly wanted to do a test fit before any kind of color to make sure I liked them. Here is the first fit, without a fender roll out back. Should have gotten a front fitment pic, oh well.

IMG-0355 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              IMG-0354 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Really not all that bad. I didnt want to touch the rears since they were never rolled and in half decent condition other than some minor bumps and scrapes. I wanted it lower tho, so out came the hammer and I got to work. Rolled and dropped back down.

IMG-0358 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              IMG-0357 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              IMG-0359 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Happy with the rear fitment, funny part is the guy who I got the wheels from totally guessed on the offsets and I am glad they fit so well. The front needs a notch to lay out correctly but they fit almost perfect.

I also had some cool parts show up. Not sure if I put up a pic of my euro tdi seat covers but they might go on soon. I love the other ones I have, but they are a little beat up so these should fit and look a lot better. Also got some NOS green rhd floor mats. Kinda funny as they came from my friends car originally who I got the swap from. I am starting to get good at finding a lot of the parts he sold off before he gave up on the project.

IMG-0314 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              IMG-0353 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Threw on some paint last night. Did I clean the backs of the centers? Nope...do I care? I was more worried about the bare barrel so those went black.

IMG-0374 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Some index cards and a light once over with a wire wheel and it was time for primer.

IMG-0369 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Had to go with one of my favorite colors. Kinda wish it was darker, but whatever I will probably change it soon enough anyway. Next is some center caps which I think will make these look a lot better.

60316416309--5750F280-62BB-48F4-BE51-2D746AB6F69D by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-0373 by minthinrich, on Flickr

This look brings me back to the simple vw times before the scene was ruined.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Good ole tiffany blue definatly takes me back! Your making an insane amount of progress on this!
                  E34 build thread link
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                  e_dirty_4

Comment

Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
                    Good ole tiffany blue definatly takes me back! Your making an insane amount of progress on this!
                    Thanks man I am trying, some goodies are coming today which I sure hope fit correctly. Getting super annoyed with missing parts for this swap. The funny part is when you just look at the car its nothing special till you really notice the swap was done.

Last night I painted the other wheels, no pics cuz they are the same. But I did pull this down from the shelf in the garage. I am going to redo the lettering to something funny, just cant decide which yet.

IMG-0382 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Love to see you're having fun with this. Reminds me of 2008-10.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                        Love to see you're having fun with this. Reminds me of 2008-10.
                        exactly what I am going for. I will be saving up for another set of very period correct wheels, but feel like they will clash with the full texture bumpers. I have been looking for some texture tops in white.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          exactly what i am going for. I will be saving up for another set of very period correct wheels, but feel like they will clash with the full texture bumpers. I have been looking for some texture tops in white.
                          vette salad shooters pls

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Really nice looking mk3, always had a soft spot for white low spec 5 doors , what's the motivation behind the RHD conversion?

A guy local to me built his UK mk1 golf to US spec exterior and at one point nearly did a LHD swap to make it look like a US import but never did, is it just a rarity thing?

Most of the world is LHD
                            Insta: @JordonVW

Comment

Originally posted by JordonVW View Post
                              Really nice looking mk3, always had a soft spot for white low spec 5 doors , what's the motivation behind the RHD conversion?

A guy local to me built his UK mk1 golf to US spec exterior and at one point nearly did a LHD swap to make it look like a US import but never did, is it just a rarity thing?

Most of the world is LHD
                              My good friend did this swap 10 years ago when I was huge into the MK3 game, and I always wanted to do one myself but never had the time or space to pull it off correctly. I didnt really plan on doing it myself after all these years, but parts came up for sale for what I thought was a good deal, and I jumped onto the bandwagon. It was more a challenge for myself to see if I could really do it. I have done almost everything close to this before, but never even pulled a motor myself. So I jumped in head first and I am very proud of myself that I got this done with no help. I have been reaching out now for the tiny details but thats more wiring and all the little issues that are very hard to track down. So I guess being different is what I wanted to happen. Funny part tho is just looking at the car, it just looks like a standard 5 door golf you can pick up for next to nothing that was abused by a 16 year old new driver.

If I would want to do this again, I would probably just import a fully running car rather than swap all the parts. It was not as easy as getting a front clip like most people have done where its all together and you can doccument everything you pull apart. Missing parts, wrong harness, you name it, I probably dealt with it.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Steelies are way better of those Porsche wheels, sorry never a fan of those.
                                I kinda wish you went down to the 15 route...
                                Anyway must be crazy using the same car but from a different spot!

Comment

Working...
                                X