1994 called, they want your mk3 back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 called, they want your mk3 back

Some of you may know me from my other build....which is at a standstill due to me not being able to decide on parts.

IMG_6504 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Decided instead of buying everything I would need to finish the bmw over the winter....I would start looking for another car. Ended up looking at a TDI which would have been a great swap canidate for another car, but not worth what the guy was asking. I hit him real low on price and walked away. Ended up driving around with my friend all day waiting to see another car. Quick look, drive, and we hit the notary. Grabbed all the parts for it at his house and headed home.

IMG_7068 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Its a 94, was originally auto and was swapped before the po. Also had a set of vmax coils, porsche 7 slots, ebay turbo and manifold, 3 fenders, 2 extra bumpers, golf hood, and a set of bbs ra?

Took it out for taco bell the first night with the lady.

IMG_7074 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Whatever headunit came in the car was a joke, so the next day off to best buy I went. Some kinda pioneer and some speakers and good to go. Drivers door was never even plugged in. Also threw in my sub that I have had in a few cars. Its a constant battle with adjusting it so it might go soon enough.

best buy by minthinrich, on Flickr
    radio by minthinrich, on Flickr

I knew it was a little rusty here and there, same usual spots that these always have. Driver and passenger floor, and a little rocker rust on the driver side. Decided to tackle the drivers side first. Always amazing how much the undercoating really hides on these things.

rust by minthinrich, on Flickr

Cut it out, spot welded the patch, and seam sealed inside and outside. Wasnt too bad.

rust 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    rust 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    rust 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I finished up the passenger side as well, didnt need as much but didnt really take any pictures. Also will get around to the driver rocker eventually.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

I'm here for this. Not sure why but white looks really good on this lol

Comment

Decided the car needed the euro treatment right away. Emailed Orchid Euro to see what they had in stock. Jamie is off on a major trip but thankfully his wife was there to help me get a few things sorted out. She had a few bumpers and hatches pulled for me, and I said "I wish you still had some full texture bumpers in stock". Well thats what I came home with in addition to a rad support, front rebar, euro switch, amber markers, and a cl lip. All of this was really just so I could mount the smoked e-codes that came with the car. I know I can use those stupid brackets....but yeah they suck. I dunno what it is about the full textures, but I sure love them.

bumpers by minthinrich, on Flickr

Decided on my lunch break to throw on the rear. Yes it fits weird on one side, same as the stock bumper did. Not really sure why its off but ill get to that some day. Also gave it a quick clean and treatment and I was very happy with how it looked.

bumpers 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      bumper clean by minthinrich, on Flickr

Later that night it was time to pull the front apart and swap it all over. I had a hell of a time with it due to a power steering line thats not correct. I will get around to that eventually, but the front is on. Still debating on keeping the jetta front or going back to golf/gti. I wont be getting a early vento grill, but an early na grill if the jetta front stays.

bumpers 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      bumpers 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      bumpers 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next day decided to run up to the local fire tower (same spot I race at) and get a quick picture of the new bumpers.

fire tower by minthinrich, on Flickr
      fire tower 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Cut some stickers for fun since the back window was very empty.

stickers 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      Last edited by hinrichs; 12-12-2019, 12:01 PM.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Quick progress. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
          Quick progress. I like it.
          Wasnt sure at first if I would make a build on here, but this is a recap mainly of what ive been up to. Been kinda busy on it.

So I was looking around on marketplace which I seem to be doing all day anymore. I was trying to find a donor motor/car and then I saw some seats pop up. Figured for $50 why not. I would love to find a new driver bottom cover to replace this one which was patched, or figure something else out but no one seems to have ever seen them before. I know some of the euro seats are oddballs.

seats by minthinrich, on Flickr

Installed them that night. They look a lot like a mk4 seat, but they are mk3. I wanted something different but these fit the bill being so cheap. Nice to have a 60/40 rear split now and an arm rest.

seats 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
          seats 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Starting to get happy with the interior. I have a really cool old steering wheel I want to install, but kinda torn on just sticking with a euro oem wheel. Cant find a good deal on a hub which is whats holding me back on that one for now.
          Last edited by hinrichs; 12-12-2019, 01:48 PM.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Love how this is coming out so far. Those full texture bumpers were a good call, gives it a cool look.

Comment

Originally posted by bwwaaaa View Post
              Love how this is coming out so far. Those full texture bumpers were a good call, gives it a cool look.
              I basically built a CL clone before with my old 2 door, just never did the rhd swap on that one. So this is kinda my attempt #2 on that. I am just happy this one is old enough to get antique tags which I need to apply for and also that everything is manual.

So I was looking at the car, and it just wasnt low enough. I spun down the coils, just wasnt enough and they didnt ride great. Thought about just getting a better set of coils, but I know what I would have wanted from years ago which I am sure dont even exist anymore. So while browsing around on what deals were still going for the holidays I made a decision and placed my order. Air made the most sense in certain ways since the fiance wants to drive the car, and since she has never driven anything lowered I wanted the ability to raise it up.

air by minthinrich, on Flickr
              air 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              air 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              air 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Just a little shorter than the struts. My ride height I have set to about the same as what the coils were, maybe a bit lower. I am not really happy with the setup at all since I cant seem to get it dialed the way I want to. Bagriders did ship me a 3/8 manifold and I wanted a 1/4 so they are sending flow controls which hopefully will make everything better. Its just very fast right now and annoying to deal with. I might also add the height sensors but need to price everything for that out yet. I have installed a lot of V2 setups which is very similar to the 3P. Trunk is thrown together till I get more time to really get it sorted like I want. Valve block and all lines come in under the back seat so its all hidden which is nice. Some pics of it down, it still needs some massaging to get the front fulled laid out but its close.

air 6 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              air 5 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Had some issues, might have sorted them out. Going to replace the wheel bearings and maybe an axle yet. Drove it to work. Also threw on my oem votex rack (kicking myself for not waiting as a mint one with the tool popped up locally)

air 7 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Not sure if I will pick it up tonight or sunday, but getting something very special for the car from my one friend.
              Last edited by hinrichs; 12-13-2019, 10:09 AM.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Goddamn it lol I thought I was moving fast. I need to step my game up. Seriously awesome progress.

Comment

Awesome, I think you will have fun with the air ride. Any install pics?

@projects_always

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                    Awesome, I think you will have fun with the air ride. Any install pics?
                    I will get some pics, really kinda threw it together kinda shitty. At the moment I am really not happy with it at all. I dunno if its the airlift struts, but I really miss the old bagyard struts I had.
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Ran over to my friends on my lunch break to pick up a lot of parts. Anyone wanna try and guess what they are?

IMG_7265 by minthinrich, on Flickr

IMG_7266 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also cut some new vinyl cuz the white was boring.

stickers 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

RHD swap? or some kind of swap. I'm not VW savvy lol

Comment

It is RHD stuff, but I also see odd things like some carpet, a firewall and a tunnel, so my guess would be RHD + AWD swap.
                          Please, say I'm right
                          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                            RHD swap? or some kind of swap. I'm not VW savvy lol
                            Good guess.

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                            It is RHD stuff, but I also see odd things like some carpet, a firewall and a tunnel, so my guess would be RHD + AWD swap.
                            Please, say I'm right
                            Damn you are good. Its just a RHD swap, the carpet and firewall are different. Tunnel is just extra padding which I am not sure why it came with 2. I have done a lot of interior swaps on these and dont remember seeing that before. This whole setup came from my other friend who used to live with me. He had to give up on his project and my friend bought it, then I ended up getting the swap. The firewall needs some work to get back to stock as it was started to get shaved since he was going 1.8t swap and using a drive by wire pedal.

Most of the parts together and organized.

parts pile by minthinrich, on Flickr
                            dash/hatch by minthinrich, on Flickr

Dash cleaned up well.

rhd dash by minthinrich, on Flickr
                            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I'm super excited about all this.

Comment

Working...
                              X