No announcement yet.

1994 called, they want your mk3 back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1, I love how this car becomes a display case for rare parts. It looks sick aired out to begin with.
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• This is awesome. I love updates when I see them pop up on your flickr ( yes I follow you over their lol)

Comment

• Lets catch up to whats been going on. I really havent worked on this thing at all, its been in hibernation on a charger. Decided to move it since I have some updates and run it a little.

So first thing was to swap out the steering wheel. I need to change the horn buttons or see why the one isnt working. I like my very simple euro one, but swapped it for a smaller euro leather.

IMG_3129 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also the green matches my floor mats and part of the seats.

image_123927839 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next I picked up some wheels from a friend that I have been after since I bought this car. They are legit BBS RX 17x7.5 et 35 4x100. Kinda rare I guess. They need a lot of love but they were a good price. I call this color soft nicotine since they seem stained. Its years of different color layers and dirt.

IMG_3123 by minthinrich, on Flickr

As you can see in the rear how far the wheel swings forward. I will try and make some "great plates" as they used to be called. I will space it back a little and try and get the wheels to sit more centered when aired out.

IMG_3122 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Full car looks decent once I sort out the height and fitment.

IMG_3124 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Quick spray bomb to see how a simple silver will look in the end. I plan to get them powdercoated sooner than later.

IMG_3131 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        Last edited by hinrichs; 02-15-2021, 10:10 AM.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• The good ol’ golf rear wheel caster issues!

It’s looking good man, can’t wait to see this all come together. Loving it man!
          IG: @sebastienaudeon
          1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
          *pats Sebs head*
          there there.
          keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
            The good ol’ golf rear wheel caster issues!

It’s looking good man, can’t wait to see this all come together. Loving it man!
            I have some plans to fix it, just need to get some plate and pull the beam. Speaking of that this thing dumps gas out of the top of the tank when you fully fill it with gas....been really putting off that job lol.

So here is what I have been working on for the golf. I did a motor swap for a friend (really screwed myself on my quote) but I got a free unknown mile VR6 complete with trans. It has a clone 2.9 manifold, 264/260 cams, big intake, obd1 metal valve cover. I was planning on just throwing it right in the car but my friend made me do this. Had it off the pallet, stripped everything down to the head in block in a few hours.

63459834006--E70810BF-5F6F-401A-B0FD-63DE0E522F26 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            63466055531--8D2BDB31-3517-4E00-9114-03A34E34B6D2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Then pulled the head, gave it a quick clean on the surface and valves. Also did the same to the block and cylinders. I smelled like WD40 for a while. We are doing a mild refresh with all new gaskets, seals, and all maintenance items. I would have loved to pull the pistons and really give the whole thing a rebuild, but to me with how the car was running before, it wasn't worth the extra cost or headache. My friend who I race with did the same with his VR 8 years ago in his gti, and he has had no issues at all with the motor. He beats the crap out of it on the hills and its a strong motor.

IMG-3102 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            IMG-3103 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I will end off this post with my friends GTI. I threw in another VR6, but with a schrick intake, and installed an older V1 or V2 supercharger setup. It runs rough, and needs a lot of work yet but I did my portion of the build. Its going to end up being one very expensive mk3 with paint and bodywork it needs.

63492106985--37DA371D-8548-414B-BA42-52534959E323 by minthinrich, on Flickr
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              I have some plans to fix it, just need to get some plate and pull the beam. Speaking of that this thing dumps gas out of the top of the tank when you fully fill it with gas....been really putting off that job lol.
              lmao I feel the pain of this, my mk4 was definitely not a good time with such stiff springs I had in it...

The VR6 project is gonna be too fun, and that friends mk3 is very delicious indeed!
              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
              there there.

Comment

• Well not much to update on the car. I did get a rather cool NOS FK car cover the other day that I had been watching on ebay for a while. Did the car need it?....nope. It sure is cool tho. I honestly just bought it for the box more than anything lol.

IMG-3230 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                IMG-3257 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I am still waiting on parts for the motor, but its mostly complete. Water pump and some seals are next, then decide on a crackpipe and tune which I just need to order. Also need to paint the intake and valve cover.

IMG-3325 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Working on another MK3 air install so the lift is tied up for a little while.

IMG-3320 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• So there is a car show this weekend locally called Volksfest. I spent a little time on the trunk setup finally. I kind of forgot what it even looked like till the other day. I know I just threw it together so I could drive the car, but damn it was garbage.

IMG_3466 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I was going to do something fancy, but decided to just make a complete floor since the car never had anything in the back for carpet. Quick work and remounted the tank and compressor. I tried a few different variations, but the tank is long so I dont have many options until I order new tanks and a 2nd compressor. Sub box will probably stay out for now, unless I can rebuilt it into something smaller/hidden.

IMG_3528 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                  Last edited by hinrichs; 04-21-2021, 10:00 AM.
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• It's funny how little things make such a big difference. Carpet completely changed the look haha, very nice work! How's the VR6 coming along?

Comment

• Originally posted by bwwaaaa View Post
                      It's funny how little things make such a big difference. Carpet completely changed the look haha, very nice work! How's the VR6 coming along?
                      The motor is 90% done and ready to be swapped in. I just need to order some little parts and then get the golf onto the lift so I can get the ABA pulled. I ended up finding a harness for a decent price so I might end up extending it on the bench this time rather than in the car. I made the aba harness a lot longer than needed so I want to make it better this time around.
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• So today the golf went to its new home. I ended up trading it for a tdi jetta. I might make a thread, but not sure yet. It was a fun run in the mk3, but it was time for something new.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

So today the golf went to its new home. I ended up trading it for a tdi jetta. I might make a thread, but not sure yet. It was a fun run in the mk3, but it was time for something new.
                          Please make a new thread

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

So today the golf went to its new home. I ended up trading it for a tdi jetta. I might make a thread, but not sure yet. It was a fun run in the mk3, but it was time for something new.
                            End of an era, for real.
                            TDi Jetta deserves a thread.

#makebuildthreadsgreatagain
                            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                            there there.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgpdoc View Post
                              Please make a new thread
                              Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                              End of an era, for real.
                              TDi Jetta deserves a thread.

#makebuildthreadsgreatagain
                              Once I can figure out what the hell to call it, I will make one. I have been slowly working on it and driving it. Since the trade I managed to put 260+ miles on it...till I noticed the driver axle being torn and blown. I think the golf in total I drove maybe 500 miles.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Waiting for it then

Cheers

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Working...
                                X