Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping from rear while cornering (Airlift 3P E36 328i)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping from rear while cornering (Airlift 3P E36 328i)

As the title states, I am experiencing a popping noise from what sounds like the rear end of my E36 when turning in either direction. Sometimes the pop occurs when I am driving straight. It started making the noise when I installed Airlift performance struts and bags last week, it never has before. Everything is at the factory settings, as far as the strut height goes. I turned the dampening down two notches in the front and rear, and the pop stayed. Swaybar endlinks seem solid and well seated still, as well as wheel bearings. What else should I check?

Also check the top nut of the shock where it mounts in the trunk. If those come loose right after an install there will be a popping noise from that corner.

Comment

It's been awhile, but I figured out the issue shortly after making this post. For anyone that is experiencing the same problem, I bought my Airlift struts used and they did not come with the M3 front swaybar endlinks, like they would have if I bought the kit brand new. So, I used the non-m sway bar end links (connect to the control arm instead of the front strut body. I ordered the M3 ones and installed them. Also, one of my rear strut locking collars came loose (apparently not uncommon) and so I had to tug on it to get it snug. No noises anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X