gotheframe’s 1967 Volvo Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gotheframe View Post
    Honestly would like to do a 4x114.3 conversion if I went that route.
    Is this actually an option? Without to much hassle that is?

Asking for a... who am I kidding? I've been looking into Amazons since forever and am always looking for excuses to get one
    Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
      Is this actually an option? Without to much hassle that is?

Asking for a... who am I kidding? I've been looking into Amazons since forever and am always looking for excuses to get one
      Ease of conversion, ehh.... based on the fabrication I’ve done it wouldn’t take that much more to do it I feel. I’m thinking a 7.5 Ford rearend with a 4lug axles and similar front hub, or a more likely candidate, a Toyota rearend. The Amazon’s front suspension is pretty close to MustangII in appearance, I’ve thought about tubular arms and a drop spindle anyway... so... I don’t know? Lol. Everything would have to be fabricated obviously, there’s no direct swap I’m aware of.

Comment

Damn very surprised how good the 19s look on this one. I cant wait to see the rear rolled or whatever your planning for the back.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Finally had time to get the car over to Premiere Autosports here in Indy for Kole (GTIKole) to work on rolling the rear fenders. While he did that I worked on the opposite sides addressing the wheel well issues (from speaker box), hammering the panel dents back into the trunk. On the left side after test fitting wheels, Kole flattened the body seams of the trunk spare flat.

We discovered a 3rd issue with the OEM top rear spring perches - at full height extension the inner wheel barrel comes in contact with the perch. So eventually I'll get those removed since they're basically obsolete. At a slightly lowered "ride" height, no issues, but to be safer we spaced the wheel out a little.

A 4th issue arose on the front - the aftermarket Amazon front disk brakes I used when rebuilding the chopped crossmember have a longer extension(?) on the face over the bearings. So with the wheels fitted, placing the Rotiform disk on and screwing the center nut, the nut wouldn't screw all the way in to cinch the disk. Wasn't sure if I would need to machine the end of the nut or not but for a temporary solution threw on some wheel spacers that solved the problem. Really curious now how the OEM front disks would have worked by comparison.

The end result:

Made it out to Graham Rahal Performance for Cars & Coffee. Something like 1100 cars.

Last edited by gotheframe; 04-09-2021, 01:32 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

at first, i thought you picked the wrong wheel, but man was i wrong. these wheels look susprisingly well on this car

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Good to see your car out at GRP last weekend. Super clean. Thanks for chattin' with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Deutschland201 View Post
                Good to see your car out at GRP last weekend. Super clean. Thanks for chattin' with me!
                Ha! I had gone through your thread in the past and had I placed it I would have wanted to see more of your car. GRP was crazy, so many cars. Did we roll in pretty close together too?

Originally posted by scweet14 View Post
                at first, i thought you picked the wrong wheel, but man was i wrong. these wheels look susprisingly well on this car
                I'm actually bewildered over how it came out. 100% was sure these were not going to fit. Enough so I don't know the replacement set of smaller wheels I bought would live up - still something I want to see through from my vision with the car, but now I dunno. To be continued.... lol
                Last edited by gotheframe; 04-09-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Finished up on the interior. Not happy with a couple things, particularly the rear bench and back, and rear sides. Those were the only pieces I didn't do myself because of a crunch to get the car ready for a memorial show remembering the fabricator of my suspension. So those will come out and get redone by me to match the fit and finish of the front seats - which came out awesome.

Stoked I picked up the "Eye Catcher" award too. Really enjoyed hearing the comments on the car by Mike's friends and family who hadn't seen it since it was in his shop.

Some more pics sent to me

Comment

Those wheels look wild. Almost like wire wheels. Definitely an eye catcher.

Comment

Working...
                    X