No announcement yet.

gotheframe’s 1967 Volvo Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying this again, received an error the first time.

Hitting exhaust
    Untitled

First sunshine in a while
    Untitled

Just before leaving the shop and coming home
    Untitled

Next up, Interior. Under-dash wiring is a mess. Planning is to run a Francis box and wiring and lay down some undercarpet channels. Clean up the engine bay wiring (which includes speaker wire and home interior wire :headexplode), lay down some sound mat, and finish upholstery.

Comment

Oh man, that is sooo good. I love the amazon, but would also love to see more of that '61 International.
      "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
      Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Oh man, this makes me want to bag my '66 122S wagon. I just dropped it 40mm with competition lowering springs, but you're making me want to go even lower now.
        Volvo: 1966 122 Wagon & 1969 1800S // Mercedes-Benz: 1977 280SE & 1986 300E AMG Hammer x Louis Vuitton Purse

Comment

Awesome build, def something I can get behind.
          Follow me on Instagram @ Promk1ng
          http://instagram.com/promk1ng

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
            Oh man, that is sooo good. I love the amazon, but would also love to see more of that '61 International.
            I don’t have any more pictures of the International but the owner is on IG @rodneyparks414.

Originally posted by Børk Volvo View Post
            Oh man, this makes me want to bag my '66 122S wagon. I just dropped it 40mm with competition lowering springs, but you're making me want to go even lower now.
            Haha, if I make you want to go lower, certainly don’t find Atom’s Amazon wagon (body on e30 and converted to 2-door wagon).

Originally posted by promking View Post
            Awesome build, def something I can get behind.
            Thanks for the support!

Comment

Here is the “drive” height preset.
              Untitled

But most roads in my area I can get away with driving this preset.
              Untitled

A couple more
              Untitled
              Untitled

Comment

​Working on the interior has been an ongoing process.

Stretching VP Auto vinyl on front seat backs. Fabricated a rod to go through the built in mid seam of the vinyl and tied it to the frame crossbar using zip ties so I could get the pinch just right.

Closeup of the bottom of the front seat back. One each of two sizes of diameter rods are slid into the seams then pressed one at a time into the channel. Placing vinyl in the sun helped when it came time to stretch.​

I fabricated tools to hold the rods in the channel using wooden door shims.​

Finished backs.

Bottom seam.​

Still have the hardware to figure out before backs are combined with seat bottoms.

Robbing seat parts I kept from a 1971 144 part out.

Some current pics.
                A C&C with friends (GTIKole's AE86 in the middle) a few weeks back.

Showing the usability of the truck setup. Yeah, I went grocery shopping with the kiddo, he loves rides in the "noisy car" lol

Pics from a C&C from last weekend that we’re shared with me.

Love this photo and it makes me want to learn how to take better pics.

Comment

Such a clean, good looking Amazon. Love the green seats!

If you want to learn more about car photagraphy, you can learn alot from the best in the game: http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/photography/

Comment

Looks awesome, great job on the seats man!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddye View Post
                      Such a clean, good looking Amazon. Love the green seats!

If you want to learn more about car photagraphy, you can learn alot from the best in the game: http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/photography/
                      Thanks for the link, very interesting. Also looked into apps for raw files on iphone.

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                      Looks awesome, great job on the seats man!
                      Thanks! So far much patience as paid off.

Comment

Little update.

So 2020 had one last unsuspecting surprise in store for me.

Somehow Rotiform picked me as the recipient of the 2020 Christmas Giveaway.

Choosing which wheel was really a tough decision because I never anticipated going down this path aesthetically. I actually started to go down a completely different path. I gravitate towards disk type wheels so arriving at the LHR-M wasn’t surprising.

The challenge in the decision was how will I fit these 19x8.5 (only size available for this model) wheels - absolutely gigantic for the Amazon? With only two options in offset (+35 & +45), I went with +35 out of fear of needing to space out more than an inch - which was a miscalculation on my part as I had that in my head from looking into poke during suspension fab. In hindsight, a +45 would have been a better choice so I could creep up on the fender.
                        The 19s present two issues; tire selection and clearence. On the OEM 15x4ish wheels I’ve been running, I wanted a period looking tire and went with the smallest Vredestein Sprint Classics I could find, at 155/80 and outside diameter of 24.8”. Its a tall tire relatively speaking, and I’ve wanted to go smaller to gain another inch in low. My goal with these 19s is to maintain the aired out position of the 15s. So unnecessarily increasing diameter through aspect ratio isn’t an option I want to pursue. Another tire issue is width, which the rear of the Amazon doesn’t favor well in clearance. So the tire had to be no wider than the rim, and no taller than 24.8” So utilizing the Ultimate Tire Stretch Guide thread on Stanceworks, combing through pictures on Tyre Stretch, and plugging numbers through Will They Fit, I arrived at 215/35 tires as an ideal size. More google and combing through stretch pics I arrived at Nankang NS-25 215/35 r19 tires. While not what I had in mind, when you win wheels you try new things.

Stretch (a #2 according to the guide)

Testing fitment

This is what I’m dealing with on the Fender side. So will need to roll. Unknown at this point is whether or not there is room in the curvature of where the fender lip becomes body to fit the 19s if I need to space out more.

On the barrel side of the wheel, I have a clearance issue brought on from the previous owner using the wheel wells to hammer space out for a sub woofer box. So I’ll need to hammer back in from outside into the trunk, and maybe flatten some body seams along the way.

So navigating the clearance issues on the face and barrel side will be my winter project.

Comment

Got the fronts put on and snagged a few pics. No clearance issues with room to spare. Will decide if I want to space them out once I get the back fenders worked out.

Comment

I gotta say, I'm quite suprised how well they look on such a classic car. Personally I wouldnt be able to resist the 5x114.3 and get some old japanese alloys, but winning wheels is always a plus.

Cant wait to see some pictures of the whole thing!
                            Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by gotheframe View Post
                              Okay, this is so damn legit. I am so surprised they work so well on this!
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
                                I gotta say, I'm quite suprised how well they look on such a classic car. Personally I wouldnt be able to resist the 5x114.3 and get some old japanese alloys, but winning wheels is always a plus.

Cant wait to see some pictures of the whole thing!
                                I’m with you on the Japanese wheels, the ones I like are ultra rare lol. Honestly would like to do a 4x114.3 conversion if I went that route. I’m really looking forward to making it work in the back. It’s tight but I get to work out some things that have been bugging me along the way.

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                                Okay, this is so damn legit. I am so surprised they work so well on this!
                                Wow, thanks so much! I don’t even know how to follow that

Comment

Working...
                                X