No announcement yet.

Simple M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels are not my cup of tea as you already know but I love the fact you got 18s, I think that's where it,s at on e36s
    You can try a 245/35 square on 8.5, they may slightly rub in the rear but probably not too bad, a slight roll could solve it. Obviously no stancey stretched fitment but could go with the supertouring vibe

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
      This car continues to look extremely good in my eyes. Nice tip on the OBC unit.
      Just to point something out:
      As far as I know, Ben is located in the UK. The headlight units for the UK have opposite directing of light, because of driving on the left hand side of the road. Meaning the lens directs the light towards the left hand side of the road so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. If you use UK headlights while driving on the right hand side of the road you will blind oncoming traffic in the left hand side lane. It is a very common mistake over here in europe, so just wanted to point that out. I don't know if this is the case for the e36 lineup, but it is true for e30s, e34s etc ... Ben will face the same problem with his left side steering wheel e30 imported from the states.
      If you want, I have e36 buddies who can help out source the correct headlight for you, but you'll have to go through the same customs ordeal. Let me know if you are interested.
      Thanks I did think of that after I ordered them. I’m open to getting the right set, it just isn’t the top priority. Send me a PM, I’d definitely like to see about getting the right parts in. Since I have the glass, maybe I can just get the right housings.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
      Cant wait to see those with tires on them.
      You and me both haha.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
      Wheels are not my cup of tea as you already know but I love the fact you got 18s, I think that's where it,s at on e36s
      You can try a 245/35 square on 8.5, they may slightly rub in the rear but probably not too bad, a slight roll could solve it. Obviously no stancey stretched fitment but could go with the supertouring vibe
      I’d actually like to avoid super stancey fitment, but after mocking it up on the car I don’t see how 245s would fit quite yet. I need to do some more digging but it seems to be a pretty tight squeeze at the fender. I had asked Fifteen52 directly what they recommended, and the GarageWelt sedan that everyone is likely familiar with is running those 225/40s. I’m ok with that for the street, but I’d really like to take this car to the track next year, and I feel like that won’t cut it. It’s all a wash for now, because I can’t put them on period until I get myself some coilovers haha.

Comment

No no no, 17's > 18's on an E36. Actually, I really like those 1552 wheels and think they will look really good; looking forward to seeing them on the car.

@projects_always

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
          No no no, 17's > 18's on an E36. Actually, I really like those 1552 wheels and think they will look really good; looking forward to seeing them on the car.
          Truth.
          Anyway I love those wheels I thinks they looks perfect on a sedan, can't wait to see them fitted.

Comment

Clear Changes

Took some time this weekend to knock out some items on the M3.

Changed the belts. They had started to squeak, and sure enough the old ones were definitely worn. Some fresh Continentals did the trick, no more squeak and I don’t have to worry about those belts coming apart on long drives anymore.

Also took some time to change the valve cover gasket. As it turns out, totally not needed. Looks like it had a fresh one prior, which led me to dig a little further. Unfortunately it looks like the source of my oil leak is the oil pan gasket. That was definitely a bummer, as it’s a real pain to do.

Finally installed the headlights as well. I sourced replacement glass here in the US, swapped it out and wired it all up. Before and after really doesn’t do it justice, it’s a huge difference. While I was at it, also finally installed clear turn signals and repeaters. As pointed out here, the RHD lights have made for a weird cut off here. But otherwise I’m happy with them. At this point, I’m happy with how the car is sitting overall. I’m taking it to Radwood LA in a couple weeks. I’ll leave it as is before making any more changes.

Comment

new headlights are dope! Although I wouldnt mind seeing those Amber corners back on there. How hard was it to pull the valve cover off?
              E34 build thread link
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
              e_dirty_4

Comment

Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
                new headlights are dope! Although I wouldnt mind seeing those Amber corners back on there. How hard was it to pull the valve cover off?
                Thanks! And if I had any other color than silver, I’d probably be inclined to keep the ambers. I like them against a color. On silver though, I prefer the muted look. I’ve debated going smoked all the way around, Inpro tail lights are some of my favorite but I can’t justify the cost to swap it over when this looks just fine haha.

Valve cover is super simple, remove your coil packs, unplug the harness and the breather, and undo the bolts. One of the easier valve cover gaskets I’ve done.

Comment

Seriously a fan of those wheels, look proper and the right size too! Cant wait to see tires mounted on em

BENZWGN Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Kinghorn View Post
                    Seriously a fan of those wheels, look proper and the right size too! Cant wait to see tires mounted on em
                    Thanks! I can’t wait myself, holding off until I have coilovers in hand to install. It’s been a tough wait so far haha.

Polished Tip

So I picked up an exhaust for the M3. A local guy wrecked his M3, and posted it up as a part out. I immediately messaged him about the exhaust, a UUC cat back. He was wishy washy about it, and then the car disappeared. Turns out he sold the whole thing to another guy. Fortunately, he also decided to part out the car, I knew about the exhaust, and managed to snag it before anyone else. I’m not entirely sure about the exhaust tips. I had wanted straight tips, but I think this will work well once I have the wheels on as well.

As you can see, it’s a little faded. Didn’t sustain any damage from the wreck, that was all on the front of the car, just grimey. I decided that it really needed a good clean before ending up on the car. It doesn’t show well, but it was also kind of muddy for some reason. Guess the last M3 it was on went bogging...

Though not strictly necessarily, I decided to give it a quick shine. For those of you wondering, Basso+a polishing cone will do wonders on bringing back shine on faded polished bits. I sprayed off the mud, dried it off, and went to town.

Didn’t take any progress pictures, but really there wasn’t much to see. Faded, then not faded. The tips destroyed my polishing cone, which I was a little bummed about, but otherwise it looks a little better. Obviously still some scratches here and there, but for what I paid, more than presentable. I haven’t yet put it on the car, because I’m waiting until after Radwood in a couple weeks. I’m making the drive to California and back, and figured a more stock (and quiet) car would be nicer for that particular trip.

So the parts pile is steadily growing. I need to order some tires, some coilovers, and I’d really like an LTW wing... I’m also looking for some excellent condition Vader’s for the front, and some other bits here and there. But it’s all coming together. Safe to say this will be a fun transformation.

Comment

LTW wings is a touchy subject for me LOL I'm looking for an OEM one since I bought the car but the only one that popped up for sale in 2 years is that infamous $10000 NOS ebay one

Nice job on the polishing, curious to hear it

Comment

Exhaust looks great after polishing it. I think that style DTM tip will really set the car off perfectly once you get the wheels on.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

LTW wings is a touchy subject for me LOL I'm looking for an OEM one since I bought the car but the only one that popped up for sale in 2 years is that infamous $10000 NOS ebay one

Nice job on the polishing, curious to hear it
                          I would love an OEM one, but the reality is I don't think I'll ever be able to find it. It puts me in a weird place, because I've always been really big on authentic everything, wheels to headlights. But given the rarity of the OEM piece, I'm not sure I have any other option than a replica piece for the wing. I still haven't made any decisions, but I do love the look of that wing on a sedan. Plus with my wheels and exhaust, I feel like it will tie everything together that much more.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          Exhaust looks great after polishing it. I think that style DTM tip will really set the car off perfectly once you get the wheels on.
                          Thanks! I was surprised it shined up as much as it did. I agree, I'm hoping that it all works together as a complete package. Part of why I decided to put off installing it until I could do it all at once.

Comment

Love those tips, **** how they put carbon all over your bumper though. As for the wing rep or not it would definately look dope.
                            E34 build thread link
                            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                            e_dirty_4

Comment

Needs More Low STAT

Tires arrived, tires mounted, wheels test fit. For those wondering (because specs aren’t precious) 18x8.5 et35, 225/40r18, Hankook Ventura V12 Evo2 tires, square setup. These tires were my second choice, I wanted Falken RT615k tires but they weren’t carried by the vendor I was ordering through. Also, realistically, these are a little more street friendly. The Bridgestone’s I have on right now grip fantastically, but are absurdly noisy and a little sketch on the rain. Though I do plan to take this car to the track, for the street these tires are more than sufficient. I hope...

I was concerned that visually this would have more stretch, but that wasn’t the case.

So you don’t have to say it, I know. Needs more low, very desperately. Fortunately my fenders are rolled, so I don’t need to tackle that job. But if you’re looking to run the same setup, yes you need to roll your fenders for sure. I took the wheels back off and I’m rolling on the stock wheels to radwood. Going to get the rear tires flipped to survive the drive out and back, then it’ll finally time to overhaul the car. I guess I should also preemptively say, I’m totally aware that these tires are pretty narrow for an M3. I’m playing it by ear right now, I’m happy with the aesthetics of this setup, but it does have to preform well too. 235s may be possible as well, but I will wait until after I do a thorough shakedown on my favorite road to determine that. Tortilla Flat reveals all.

Comment

Second pic looks like you have a roof spoiler on

Oddly enough those tyres look smaller on your car than the one we discussed on IG, maybe it's the color. I don't think at stock power level they'll be that undersized, stock 235/40/17 is 10mm wider but what you lose in width you gain back in contact patch lenght cause of the added diameter.

Comment

Working...
                                X