No announcement yet.

Simple M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I would have know the 2002 was going to be for sale, thats on my long term list and would have love to scoop it up. Brakes shouldnt be hard, those are deff a big size jump.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

As someone that always has multiple cars at once, I know the cleansing feeling of liquidating to one. Such a good feeling. Doesn't last for long cause we restart the cycle, but for that little bit.... life is so simple.

Car looks very sophisticated in the parking garage. Like its awaiting Jason Statham in a Transporter mission. Very sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
        Wish I would have know the 2002 was going to be for sale, thats on my long term list and would have love to scoop it up. Brakes shouldnt be hard, those are deff a big size jump.
        I'll be honest, you probably wouldn't have wanted mine specifically. What I didn't get into too much in the other thread was just how beat up that shell really was. The deeper I dug into it, the more it turns out it would have been infinitely more economical to reshell the entire car for the get go. I want another one some day, but just that one required far too much time that I didn't have.

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
        As someone that always has multiple cars at once, I know the cleansing feeling of liquidating to one. Such a good feeling. Doesn't last for long cause we restart the cycle, but for that little bit.... life is so simple.

Car looks very sophisticated in the parking garage. Like its awaiting Jason Statham in a Transporter mission. Very sharp.
        Thanks! And yes, definitely. Purging everything has been a huge load off. Inevitably, being a car guy, I know I'll buy something else I don't need. But for now I'm going to enjoy the simplicity of my Simple M3 haha.

Comment

So sad for the 2002 but this E36 looks so good, loving this vibe.

Comment

And so it has begun, the few regulars left on SW getting rid of some weight. Seeing hinrichs selling his M3 and you selling the 2002 reminds me of the recent discussion about how this kind of builds weigh us down.
            Happy for you, your simple m3 looks very very good and with your aproach it'll become even better. Excited to see where you take it.
            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
              And so it has begun, the few regulars left on SW getting rid of some weight. Seeing hinrichs selling his M3 and you selling the 2002 reminds me of the recent discussion about how this kind of builds weigh us down.
              Happy for you, your simple m3 looks very very good and with your aproach it'll become even better. Excited to see where you take it.
              Is this the end of an era? Where are those new times gonna bring us? The future is uncertain

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                So sad for the 2002 but this E36 looks so good, loving this vibe.
                Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                Thank you both! Believe me, it was a very difficult decision to sell the 2002 and I miss it every day. But without being able to dedicate proper time to it, it was just the logical choice.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                Is this the end of an era? Where are those new times gonna bring us? The future is uncertain
                Hopefully not the end of an era haha. Just a small break from the chaos of a ground up build!

Comment

Nice & clean M3!

Comment

And we're back!

I thought we lost the forums there for a minute. I know there's not a lot of us on here, but I do enjoy this community. So here are some updates on the M3. Progress has been slow, I've been working on the car as I have time after work. Some of you know, I scheduled the car for a paint job late next month, but I've since postponed it for a few reasons. One, I realize that there is a lot that needs to be taken care of on the car mechanically. The other thing is, I have wanted to swap the car since I got it, and it would suck to paint the car, only to have something damaged during the swap process. It's a low risk, but it seems like all the heavy wrenching should be taken care of while the car is an ugly duckling anyway.

I did get a new license plate. "STW" for Super Tourenwagen. Though with my plate frame, I anticipate most people will assume it stands for Stanceworks. That's fine, either way I'm happy with it.

I bought this wing from Stanceworks commander and chief, Mike. Back when Riley owned this M3, he had wanted to put this same wing on the car. I saw some photos, and bought it without thinking twice. Turns out it's a wing off a Lancer, and it needs a lot of work to fit. I like it, but I'm leaning towards sourcing a Rieger Infinity wing instead. It's amazing that thing wing fits as close as it does though, for being off an old crappy Mitsubishi.

I also finally started on my front end refresh. This has been fairly miserable as I have 30 minutes here and there to plug away at this. I've managed to drop everything, clean it up, swap the pan gasket and get the subframe back in. New control arms, CABs, engine mounts, E46 ZHP steering rack, etc. All new everything, because the steering was pretty sloppy on this car. I also got all new power steering hoses, just to hopefully stop the leak for some time. Photos above just show how disgusting everything was. The oil pan gasket was clearly the original one from 1998, the pan fell off the car when I undid the last bolt.

I also finally have my 996 calipers ready. All new seals, fresh powdercoat with the Brembo logo powder coated in as well (no stickers here). I had the crossover tubes done in black while I was at it, because they were disgusting to start. I was going to hold off installing these so I could make a few events in the upcoming weeks, but thanks to Corona Virus, we are now grounded.

Not strictly M3 related, but I'm not going to create a new thread for this car, but I finally bought a new daily driver. 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon. I got it from Carvana at all places, but it's low miles, very well kept and exactly what I was looking for. Frankly, I won't lie and say I won't do anything to it, but considering it's pretty boring I can't imagine it going beyond wheels and coils. I just wanted a daily driver that was comfortable, practical and reliable. That TSX checks all the boxes with flying colors.

Finally, with paint out for a while, I had settled on focusing on perfecting the car mechanically. That is, all of the big jobs will be handled before I make it look pretty. I didn't plan on buying an S54 (and actually at the time of posting this, the deal hasn't been finalized but I'm excited and wanted to share). This S54 came up for a good deal, a friend of mine purchased it for his E30 but opted instead to keep his M30 swap and buy a different project. It has 95k miles, confirmed via a Carfax showing that this engine came out of a wrecked 2002 M3. It has been sitting for a while, but otherwise all appears above board. It came with the harness, ECU, headers, throttle pedal, and a bunch of extra pieces.

My plan, and I guess I don't believe even myself sometimes, is to shove this engine in the corner and collect parts for the swap slowly over time. I refuse to pull my perfectly healthy S52 from the M3 until I'm absolutely sure that I have everything ready to go together. That includes items like rod bearings, VANOS, gaskets etc. I also have half a mind to pay a shop to do the swap itself. If you haven't gathered from any of my threads, I don't particularly love wrenching, it's more a necessary evil for me.

But the dream has always been S54 E36. So even if that takes a few years to get there, this is a step in the right direction. Well I hope, I still haven't actually taken delivery of the engine yet.

Comment

Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Comment

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

No idea what anyone said, but:

S54 has fallen through. This was my doing, but with the Corona scare going around right now, I immediately cancelled all major plans. Who knows what’s going to happen next, but almost immediately after making that post, shit hit the fan at work. So I guess the cat is out of the bag, I do plan to S54 swap the car (Fruttolo has known this for quite some time thanks to Facebook), but until I’m sure we are out of this chaos I am not spending the cash on an engine.

In the mean time, to pass the time in my self-imposed quarantine, I’ll order the remaining bushings and get the car squared away as much as possible.

Comment

I think thats what I was commenting about, since the S54 is my end goal if I keep my car. For me its a lot easier tho since I dont need hardly anything extra on the engine to work other than it running haha. I feel like that will keep the costs down. I think I might join you and order the bushings I have pushed off for a while and maybe finish the rear end at least. I have a mean shimmy around 100 I need to solve and hopefully thats where my issues are.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

This car is really shaping up nicely! What's the advantage of the ZHP steering rack, quicker ratio?

BTW nice daily, I've always liked those TSX wagons, you never really see them around

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                                "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                                SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X