Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
    Looks like everything is coming together nicely. I really like that caramel color for the interior. On a side note I think those wheels would have looked amazing full polished.
    The stock wheels? They are kinda rough cast, that would take a ton of work to polish those. Plus they are place holders for now, I want some RS, Alpinas, or Weds.

Comment

Did some more leather cleaning and dying last night. I thought it would be fun to do a 50/50 on one of the seats, so I taped it off and only cleaned and dyed one half. Check out the video below.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Then I finished cleaning and dyeing the other half, the finished seat is on the left.

And a before and after video with the finished seat next to the seat I had not cleaned.

It looks like it matches to me.

And then I cleaned the other seat with ColourLock strong leather cleaner and their brush. I thought the brand new white towel would be make for a nice example.

I think they were a little dirty.

Then I feathered the dye into the rest of the seat back. The color looks different due to lighting.

Here is a shot with the rear seats swapped and the passenger front seat, just to show that the color is correct.

I just need to put the leather shield on them tonight and then wait for the car to come back from paint so I can do the drivers seat.

Comment

Small update. We picked up some wheel center caps for the factory 14" wheels.

Naturally I had to clean them. I started with polishing the metal. Quick wipe with IPA and then a hand polish with Nuvite "C" and "S." Here is a little before and after.

Then I moved on to the roundels. Started with a hand compound. Before.

After compound, before a hand polish with Sonax.

And the finished product after one last IPA wipe down and sealed with Jescar Powerlock. I could have sanded them and machined polished to get a little better finish but I think this is good enough.

I know, super lame but I hope to have some painted car pics soon.

Comment

God this is going to be beautiful when y'all are done.
          Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
          2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Its been pretty slow going lately. I dont know how body shop guys always have an emergency of some sort but they do. A couple weeks ago he got the car primed and block sanded. Excuse the photos, I havent been able to get away from work to check it out so my dad has been snapping the pics.

The front end repair came out pretty good.

There have not been updates since then, but my dad went by yesterday and the car was in the booth and the textured under coating had been applied.

There should be a fresh coat of Nachtblau on it now, and the clear should be drying.

More updates soon. I cant wait to get it back home.

Comment

I went in person to check on the car last night and its looking good. He going to button some stuff up and I hope to have it back home this weekend to start putting it back together.

I was really impressed with how well the front end repair turned out.

Stay tuned, more to come soon.

Comment

front corner repair and paint turned out great! the work on the dash is incredible.

Comment

This looks so good, can't wait to watch the progress on the assembly.
                  "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                  Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Its home.

Time to get to work.

I really need to get the wheels swapped.

Comment

We moved the e9 to a corner of the shop where it would be out of the way, but we could still work on it. Since its not going to move for a little while I started to work on the drivers seat. Its in pretty bad shape compared to the others but I think I can fix it up. It will be passable. I did a little test spot with the brush and cleaner, pretty encouraging results.

The cleaning alone helped a ton.

There were some bad creases and small tears so I played with some filler I had from the kit I used on my M3 seats. Put a couple light coats of the filler on, dried it with the heat gun and sanded smooth. After that I put a few coats of dye on. I am pretty happy with the results.

After that, I started on the seat back and the bolster damage. This is going to take a lot more filler and sanding. I am not sure that I can make this passable, but our interior guy said he could replace the panel and I could dye it to match. Since that is possible I figured Id give it a shot.

Comment

My dad buttoned up the headliner and then started on the wood dash install on the e9.

This came out so nice. Especially for someone that that had never really veneered anything before.

Comment

From the "it aint stupid if it works" files, my dad came up with a way to try to break the rusted headrest loose. (Yes everything really does rust on these cars.)

But it technically hasnt worked yet, so its stupid. We sprayed some "panther wiz" as my dad calls it into the tube and he is letting it soak, we will try again today. While the PB blaster was doing its thing my dad put the chrome trim on the dash.

And after that he got started on the dash.

I will probably spend some time sanding on compounding the paint this weekend. I dont know why, its just paint, but I am nervous about it.

Comment

Well, we got the headrest out of the seat. It was a combination of the contraption my dad made and hitting the stuck post with an air hammer to loosen up the rust. Yes, everything in these cars rusts.

I took the seat back home and got to work. I did a little more sanding to smooth out where I filled in the pealing leather.

And applied a couple coats of dye. It doesn't look great up close but I think its passable for now.

I hauled them back to my dads shop Saturday morning and then got started on the E9's paint. I love the convenience of my wagon, I can just toss parts in it and have fun on the back roads on the way to drop them off.

I also got started on the wet sanding of the e9. I started off hitting it with 1500 by hand and then 3000 on the Porter Cable.

No going back now. I hit it with a couple passes of Jescar correction compound and a Megs Microfiber cutting pad.

It came out great, but it took a lot of passes with the compound. While I was working on the fender my dad sanded the roof. I don't know what he did but it would not correct out. I made a Harbor Freight run for some Megs 101, which they didnt have but I got 105. I also bought one of their sun match lights and stopped by my house to get the dewalt with the woolpad(this is the nuclear option.)

I got the roof to about 90% perfect. There are some actual scratches in it, so I think my dad picked up some trash in the sandpaper. Its something I will only notice but, I will totally notice it. Not sure what the plan is, I am hoping the polish and coating/wax will hide them a little. I then moved on to the drivers door, with the same process of sanding and microfiber pads but using the Megs 105. It corrected out a little easier but it still took a couple of passes. This light was also making me chase every little mark and swirl, I am pretty impressed, its a nice product.

The door, after correction.

When working the door, there were a couple little spots were there were nubs in the clear. I sanded those spots a little harder, but when I compounded the car those spots corrected easier. I guess I am knocking the orange peal down level and this is making it easier for the compound to brighten it up. I did a small test spot on the drivers rear 1/4 and it confirmed my theory so I sanded down the panel a little harder than the rest.

And this pretty much corrected out with 1 pass of 105. I think this will be my process on the rest of the car.

There are a few small areas that I missed. I have a 1" and 2" pneumatic random orbital kit coming, and I am hoping its going to work for the tight areas. More to come this week.

Comment

Awesome work, and an added bonus for me the pics are showing on my work computer
                              My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Awesome work, and an added bonus for me the pics are all showing on my work computer :-)
                                My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Working...
                                X