Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mpower5266 View Post
    Picked up a new shifty boy for the e9. It obviously needs a clean up, not sure why its covered in great stuff.
    Someone didnt know how to use instapak. Probably filled the bag then dropped the trans in and popped it before the foam set.

Comment

• Copy and pasting a couple updates from my thread on another forum.

11/16/21

Its been a while so I figured Id do a small update. A few weeks ago I had an Oktoberfest party at my house, and I wanted to have my 02 and the e9 parked near my Biergarten. So I grabbed the car and drove it for the first time since early September. It ran like crap but I got it cleaned back up from the vintage trip.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

I took the car back to my parents shop and looked it over. We found that one of the carb mounting bolts was loose, and one thing lead to another.

One of the carbs was hanging open occasionally so we were going to work on the linkage. Once we had them out we noticed how dirty they were and decided to rebuild them.

Once cleaned, my dad started rebuilding them. He made a float gauge, I hope it worked.

And how it sits currently.

We are installing a "boost pump" to help it start after sitting a while, its apparently a common mod for these cars. Hopefully it will start today and I will be able to take it on a short drive this weekend.

The 5 speed we bought need a rebuild, and the guy we were going to have work on it broke his foot so its going to be a couple months. The 4 speed is noisy and my dad is nervous about driving it. We are going to try Swepco in the 4 speed in the hopes that it will quiet the trans down long enough to get the 5 speed going.

12/13/21

Finally some progress. We have been having issues getting the carbs to sync and after a few weeks we finally tracked it down to the throttle shaft nut being too tight and causing the throttle to hang open slightly. This has been our view for weeks.

Once we figured that out, it was simple to get them sync'd and its idling buttery smooth. We also put the swepco in and the transmission was noticeably quieter. Yesterday we buttoned it all up and sent my son out for a test drive.

He came back with a pretty good report. The transmission is definitely quieter and actually shifts smoother. There is a slight stumble between 2500-3000 rpm and its loading up when cruising around 60mph. Its likely a timing issue that we will chase down this week, worst case a jetting issue. It was nice to finally have this view again.

Comment

• It is awesome model of car which design is inspired for car lover

Comment

• are we gonna see this thing slammed or what? just throw on some airbags, your dad can still drive it then!

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

• Long time no see. I figured Id copy/paste a few updates from another thread.

My only "resolution" this year, is to stop putting off projects and just knock them out. I started the year off knocking off a small one, although after working on it in a hunched position for hours, my back didn't see it as small. I finally got around to fixing the sanding marks in the e9's hood. I resanded with 3000grit, then compounded with megs 101 twice, jescar correction compound, and polished with Sonax perfect finish.

Its looking pretty good. There are a couple other spots that I want to touch up and I may coat it. But that's a little ways down the road. Saturday night before the bad weather moved in, I gave it a bath.

Up next will be the 5 speed swap, hopefully before The Vintage in May.

Present day.....

The e9 has been great, it has been out to some local cars and coffee runs and the occasional drive to work on a nice day. With the 4 speed trans acting up, I haven't wanted to take it much further. It seems like the days and weeks have been flying by and the The Vintage will be here before you know it, it seemed like a good time to get the 5 speed installed.

On Saturday, the e9 went up on the lift.

And after about an hour, I was looking at the clutch for what seems like the 5th time since installing it. Hopefully the last time for a while.

Yesterday while I was at work, my dad got the bell housing installed and then the 5 speed.

And buttoned it up with the shift platform and cross member.

And installed the z3 shifter.

Hopefully we can get the driveshaft out this week to be shortened and maybe get the car back on the road in the next week or so. I will be out of town for almost 2 weeks at the beginning of April so hopefully I can drive it a little before then.

Comment

• Last week, my dad buttoned up the e9. He got the interior back together, and installed the new shift knob. Thankfully we found one that was identical to the old one that had the correct mounting for the z3 shifter.

Friday, he picked up the shortened driveshaft and installed it. He also installed the new exhaust hanger set up, and the exhaust.

Saturday I got it out for a drive and confirmed that there is indeed a 5th gear in there.

Now I am just driving it and looking for issues. I took it to work today, and had enough time to stop for a little photo shoot.

I am leaving Thursday to go work an airshow so I will be gone for almost 2 weeks. After I get home it will kinda be crunch time for the vintage.

Comment

• Glad to see it back together with a working trans with 5 gears. I bet it really improved the driving of the car.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• This has to be a wonderful experience, driving that beautiful car.
                  I love the night shots after the wash, it looks so slick!
                  "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                  Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Working...
                  X