Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing back an E9.

As some of you may know, I am fond of vintage BMWs. I have an E36 M3 and 2 2002's(here is the build thread for the running and driving one http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...e-Rejuvenation). A few weeks ago one of my dreams cars popped up on a local facebook page, a 1971 BMW E9. Its a 2800cs to be specific, not quite the 3.0csi of my dreams but pretty damn close!!! The photos in the ad looked promising, especially for the price.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

I found myself looking at what appeared to a pretty straight and complete E9, and in budget. I immediately messaged the seller and asked for pics of the curious looking spot on the passenger front... The seller sent a few more photos and it was clear it was going to need some love.

We chatted some more, and I got some pics of the interior which had the dash pulled apart and the ac and heater box removed.

I was assured all the parts were there and the seats and door cards actually looked pretty decent.

We exchanged a few more messages and photos, and the engine looked dirty but complete.

I tried to find a good time to make the hour drive up to look at it but sadly life got in the way and I wasn't going to be able to make it for a week or so. I thanked the seller, and said I was sure I was going to miss out on it but I said I would try to make it up. About a week or so later, I happened to check the facebook ad and to my surprise it was still up and available. I made the arraignments to go take a look.

When my dad and I arrived I had some mixed feelings. It had a lot more dings and dents than what was visible in the photos and the rats nest of interior wiring from the AC removal looked to be a mess. We inspected the car and found very little rust, and a trunk full of parts. It was all there except for a bumper. I hoped in the drivers seat, turned on the key, and the temp gauge showed cold. I always check that to make sure they didn't warm it up before our arrival. I floored the gas pedal to set the choke, turned the key, and it roared to life. It actually sounded pretty good. I made arraignments to purchase the car. Sadly I had a trip planned the next weekend so my dad had to go pick it up that weekend alone.

Oh yes man... Congrats!

Can't wait to see this car get your anal treatment. hahaha.. you know what i mean.

Comment

My dad and I partner on cars, and split a lot of the work and expense, we agreed the car would sit until our J-10 and Xj Wagoneer Jeeps were sold. Well I guess he got a little excited, while I was on my trip I received this photo of the E9 off the trailer and in the shop. The 02 was on the lift being prepped for the vintage trip and he couldn't resist the photo.

It was supposed to go to our hanger to be stored until we were ready to start but when I showed up that following Monday, it was still there. I guess I couldn't resist the photo opportunity either.

We decided that with the vintage coming up, we would need to put together a list of parts we were looking for so rather than wait, we started on the car. I took it for a very short drive as seen in the video here.

Then we put it on the lift.

A little oily but very little rust, which in these cars can be a killer. The front bushings were pretty bad, so we made a note to order them. The fresh Bilstein HD's were a pleasant surprise. We then turned our attention to putting the A/C, heat box, and dash back together. This may sound like an odd starting point but these parts take up a large hole in the firewall, with out them you can almost see the engine. My dad, a former A/C technician in the 80's tested the heater core and AC condenser, and they appeared to be ok. Then his attention turned to the blower motor for the AC and reassembly. Using our trusty 77 Jeep Wagoneer, we tested the Air con blower motor in the video below.

The heater box fan sadly was dead, so we started searching for that. Since the suspension bushings arrived, I gave the under side of the car a good degreasing.... its going to need a lot more but this made the suspension work less miserable.

We dug into the suspension.

by Nick Wood, on Flickr

With the new poly bushings(I couldn't find another color) installed we buttoned everything up.

While we did end up with a killer deal on a front bumper at the Vintage, that's all we found. We may have found a source for most of the other missing parts, but we didnt want to wait any longer on the heater fan so I dug through my 02 spares. I have several 02 heater boxes and fans, and while its a different part, they actually are close to the same size. I found one that was free spinning and my dad tested it.

The 02 heater box.

We had to change the fan and modify the mounting a little, but the motor worked in the E9's box, which we resealed and is ready to install.

While the car was on the lift we inspected the accident damage on the front corner, and it doesn't look too bad. My parent's neighbor owns a body shop and hes fairly certain we can pull it out.

That's where we currently are on this car. The next step is to pull the driveshaft and trans, reseal the trans and diff, new guibo and csb on the shaft, and put in a new clutch and bearings. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by LCG View Post
        Oh yes man... Congrats!

Can't wait to see this car get your anal treatment. hahaha.. you know what i mean.
        I hope to finish it before you finish your e38. He he.

Comment

Really nice car, will this get some lowering treatment or will it be a resto like the 02?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
            Really nice car, will this get some lowering treatment or will it be a resto like the 02?
            I'm thinking style 5's or 16" BBS RC's, which will look period correct. Either of wheels require a slight lowering and fender roll.

Comment

Deff will be watching this one. Looks like a solid start. Hope the bodywork on the front corner goes well.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by mpower5266 View Post
                I hope to finish it before you finish your e38. He he.
                /broken heart

Comment

Damn, so jealous.
                  Dream car here too, and a nice solid example.
                  Color is amazing and I can't wait the result.

Comment

Made some progress recently. Removed the exhaust and driveshaft.

Out came the shifter.

I believe this is the source of the speedo issues. If you watched the video I posted earlier it was doing "90" in a 20, haha.

And out came the trans.

Up next..... clutch removal.

I love having a lift... haha.

Comment

I stopped by my dads last night and pulled the clutch off the e9.

This is a little further than I thought we were going to go. :lol_hitti

The clutch and other parts should be here Monday.

Comment

Gorgeous car and +1 for Eurofed! They are the best. Also, that hangar is the stuff of dreams.

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
                        P O R S C H E P A I ~
                        The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
                          Gorgeous car and +1 for Eurofed! They are the best. Also, that hangar is the stuff of dreams.
                          Thank you. I actually just went though your 944 thread, I have an 83 944 that looks identical. Its been sitting in our other building for years, I really should get it going...

So the clutch parts showed up and I figured out why the pilot bearing was making so much noise.

Check out this video of the pilot removal.....

Yea...... the correct one is on the right. I hope that didnt tear anything up.

More to come....

Comment

Couple of small updates from the weekend. We installed a new clutch.

And put the trans back in. The top bolts were interesting to get hand started but a few extensions and swivels we were in business.

As my grandfather used to say, "I could tighten it from in the truck." He was a weird guy.

And installed and mostly buttoned back up. We also ran new wires to the reverse light sensor.

More to come. I think we are going to get it back on the ground and pull the interior out for cleaning and to repair the wood.
                            Last edited by mpower5266; 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Looks like a good start! Excited to see where this goes
                              I just need something to go from point A to point B
                              so i bought 3 bmws
                              @cressidodd

Comment

Working...
                              X