No announcement yet.

Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like every project my dad and I work on there are usually some steps back. He was buttoning up the dash and was about to install the cluster when he noticed something. When we tried to put in the hood over over cluster it scratched the wood and the hood wouldnt fit right. Our plan was to keep moving forward and touch up the damage to the wood. Well he tried to install the cluster and we figured out why the wood was scratched, the veneer was covering a hole. So everything came out and my dad cut out the hole.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Even better news, the scratches will be covered so no need to touch up. So the dash is back out, but the wood is back in and the cluster is installed. I guess this was kind of a step to the side vs a step back?

Hopefully we can get the dash back in soon. I was planning on working on the drivers side headrest but we had a power outage for a few hours so I took my 02 out for a cruise instead.

IMG_7976 by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Comment

I have small update going into a long weekend. The dash and gauge cluster are in.

They even light up and work and stuff.

Hopefully I will get a lot done this weekend.

Comment

Busy weekend on the E9. I ordered a pneumatic polisher from CHY-NAH with 1,2, and 3 inch backing plates. I tried it out Saturday afternoon on some tight sections. It is garbage but it got the job done.

I also gave the underside of the hood a quick compound and polish.

Monday I woke up early intending to knock out some projects. I started by cleaning and dyeing the last leather piece on the e9.

After that I wet sanded and polished the trunk on the e9.

After compound.

I went ahead and polished it out since it was looking good and I wanted to see what the finished product would look like.

There are still some light straight line scratches from sanding likely. I may go back and hit the whole car with a more aggressive compound but Im not sure. I will likely pull it out into the sun when I am done and look it over. The trunk is looking killer though.

Comment

Amazing job. This thing is going to look superb.

Comment

Absolutely stunning color combo, great work so far! sub'd
            I’ve had too many cars to list and most of them sucked.

Comment

Kind of a boring update. Over the weekend I did a little more sanding and polishing. I knocked out the rear panel and the top edge of the rear 1/4.

My dad also got started on the trunk. We ordered some tools to replace the missing ones from the kit, and the holder for the tools since ours was cracked. He also pulled out the panels from the trunk, cleaned it well and put some rust encapsulator paint down. Not original, and there wasnt a lot of rust but this will keep it from rusting and it will be covered.

And one of the floor boards in the trunk was rotten so we pulled the elephant skin off and we are building a new one.

The updates may be slow or few and far between for the next few weeks. My wife and I are having our twins this weekend, so I may not have a ton of time to work on the car. My dad will still be plugging away though.

Comment

Its been a few weeks and with the new born twins, I haven't worked on the car a ton. My dad has been fairly busy though. The trunk was filthy, panels were off/loose, and the tool kit was trashed. My dad and I found a tool kit on the E9 forum and purchased it. He also did some cleaning and dye work on the panels.

He also purchased some tools and cleaned them. We almost have all of them, just looking for the big screw driver at a reasonable price. they are bringing over $100 for clean ones.

He also got started on the A/C install.

Since I had already sanded the drivers side, he went ahead and installed the mirror and trim.

Last week while I was off work, we took the babies over to visit Grandma and Grandpa, so I headed out to the shop and got some work done. I finished sanding and compounding the rest of the car.

Down to the 1" pads.

And finally the car is fully wet sanded, well except for the hood. I will do the hood once we get it on the car.

For now, my dad is going to handle most of the work. He will get the trim on and start buttoning up what he can on the car since I have the young-ins. I will still work on it with him here and there but hes going to handle most of it. Once it gets to a point where we can drive it, likely after the carpets come in and we get the interior installed, I am going to move it to my house and do the final detail before we do the bumpers and stuff. Its getting really close though, and my retired father is plugging away on it every day. I will have more updates soon, but here is a quick walk around video of the paint to hold you over. It will still get a quick compound pass with a really light compound, a polish to jewel it up, and a sealant/coating.

Comment

Amazing work man and congrats on the twins, love this colour, slightly darker than my own steel blue E36
                  My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Extra small E9 update. Sorry, but Ive been a little busy working and changing diapers.

We did get the graphics on the ac control panel.

And installed it in the car.

Installed the gas door.

And installed the antenna and started on the rubber trim.

Just waiting on the carpet and we can start buttoning up the interior, until then we will likely work on installing the trim and small pieces. Sorry for the small update, I am hoping for more soon.

Comment

Well done! Can't wait to see finished car

Comment

Another small e9 update. We cleaned up the tail light buckets.

And test fit the lenses.

We need to get some rubber trim before we can install them but its some sort of progress.

We decided on a doing a retro sound radio. It will look like an old radio when its off but still have bluetooth and hands free. I wanted to do an old Blaupunkt or Becker but it would just be am/fm and triple the price for one that may or may not work. This is the radio we are going with.

image by Nick Wood, on Flickr

All the knob options looked off so I raided my BMW parts stash and found some spare 2002 knobs that I will modify to work.

Speaking of the interior, we cleaned up the center console and installed a new shift boot. The metal strips were pretty rough so this is actually a brushed alum wrap until we come across a clean console. Or we may just stick with this, it looks fine to me.

The door handles had some pitting in the chrome so we sourced some in better shape and installed them. We also got a set of locks, ignition switch and keys. The key we had would not lock the trunk and one of the doors.

There was a little bit of damage done to the paint during the lock install on the passenger door. I am going to try to touch it up but worse case we might have the door resprayed.

Lastly, the battery tray was cleaned and painted.

Up next will be the hood install. I have a few friends coming over this weekend to hopefully help. Then its going up on the lift. The trans is still a little whiny so we are going to pull it an look it over. After that will be installing the carpets, interior and buttoning stuff up. I hope to be able to drive it by the end of the year but if not, it wont be too much longer.

Comment

I haven't been doing a good job of keeping this thread up, so I am going to catch it up by copy pasting from thread I have on another forum.

Got some small stuff done on the E9 this weekend. Lights and trim are installed.

They even light up.

And finished restoring the truck elephant skin.

More this week.

We got the emblems and trim for the C pillar( or B pillar I guess it doesnt have a real B pillar.)

We also got the radio in. The BMW knobs I had wouldn't work so we are using the stock knobs as of now, but we are looking for something that matches the interior a little better.

Just waiting for the carpet to show up and we can start getting the interior back together. I am thinking it will be driving around the first of the year.

Sort post, but massive update. We got the hood installed and 98% of the way aligned. We just have to mess with one of the mounts a little to raise it up a hair on the passenger side.

Bonus shot with its younger brother. I left the M3 at the shop so I could drive the Wagoneer for a couple days.

Comment

Just catching the thread up. Not sure if this forum is that active anymore but Im not giving up on the thread yet. Nothing worse than randomly finding a 3 year old thread that the author stopped updating abruptly.

Small update but the carpet should be in today. We hooked up the radio and it comes on.

It also made the antenna come up.

After that we positioned the car on the lift. It didnt need to be on the lift but it did make it easier to adust the hood and start installing the turn signals.

Again the carpet should be here today, and hopefully installed over the next few days. Once that is in, we can assemble the center console, get the ac installed and tested and then put the interior back together. After that it will just be wheels, trim, bumper, headlights, cleaning etc etc. I hope to test drive it around the first of the year.

Didnt do too much on the car this weekend. The carpet came in so it is laying on the shop floor to flatten out, I forgot to grab a pic. We did get the fake autozone stick on grills installed. HAHA.

After posting the photo above on an E9 group, I was notified that these are supposed to have black vinyl behind them so they are likely coming off.

We did install one of the wheels but noticed the lug nuts are wrong, so new lugs are on order.

So much better than the gold ones. Anyway I am hoping for more this week, and I am trying to take Friday off work to get some stuff done on the car.

Small updates on the E9 as usual. I feel like this will be the norm until its done, all the really big stuff is down and we are just buttoning stuff up now. We started putting the carpets in this weekend by gluing down all the trim bits.

The center section isnt glued down yet in this photo, it was just a test fit. I like the color, I cant wait to see what it looks like with the seats installed.

I am worried about the steering wheel looking a little rough and out of place with the interior refreshed, I may have to find a nardi for it.

I also popped one of the center caps on the wheel just to see how its going to look. MUUUUUUCH better than the gold thangs.

Comment

Some of us are still here.
                              Youtube is not the world to some of us.

I love this build, keep it up.

Cheers

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

Wow its really looking amazing now. I am here as well, I dont comment a lot but I am on everyday reading. I cant wait to see the carpet fully installed.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X